Interesting Video on ATSC 3.0

Well, I don’t see any major announcements or advances in the next few months

I think it's getting off track here.
The problem is simple: its just too early in the game. Enabled TVs are likely at least 10 months away (the 2019 models come out in Spring?) and affordable standalone tuners haven't been whispered of.

For those who are hoping for an inexpensive SDR solution, you have to wonder given the bandwidth and the large amount of licensed IP involved in decoding. Does SDR for DTV exist? Articles from late 2016 suggest that it isn't feasible to use the SDR dongles of the day.

Broadcasts that may be available can't reasonably be received so what's the point?

Reactions: primestar31
The same chicken and egg situation developed over HDTV and ATSC 1.0. The standard was approved in 1998, but manufacturers did not start including the ATSC tuner until the FCC mandated the cutoff date for analog broadcasts.

The standard was approved in 1998, but manufacturers did not start including the ATSC tuner until the FCC mandated the cutoff date for analog broadcasts.
Absent a mandate, the Next-Gen battle is a completely different animal from the DTV Transition. There are some parallels, but in terms of the driving force, Next-Gen has few of the advantages that DTV had.

While some may feel confident in placing the prospect of UHD programming as a major win, they never manage to answer the question regarding what UHD they're crowing about. Heck, they're still shooting quite a few films and TV shows in 2K.

With the new Whizz-bang-olator, they can transmit what, 8 HD streams per channel?

With the new Whizz-bang-olator, they can transmit what, 8 HD streams per channel?
While eight may be a theoretical limit, I suspect the reality is closer to five at the outset.

The PQ and SQ can't be noticeably inferior to DTV or uptake will be seriously hindered. Of course as we know, some broadcasters are already reducing their DTV PQ by adding HD feeds to their signals where it was once considered unthinkable.

We also can't forget all of the other streams that the broadcasters are champing at the bit to deploy along with the conventional TV programming.

While eight may be a theoretical limit, I suspect the reality is closer to five at the outset.

The PQ and SQ can't be noticeably inferior to DTV or uptake will be seriously hindered. Of course as we know, some broadcasters are already reducing their DTV PQ by adding HD feeds to their signals where it was once considered unthinkable.

We also can't forget all of the other streams that the broadcasters are champing at the bit to deploy along with the conventional TV programming.
The reality of ATSC 3.0 is one UHD channel or 6 to 8 1080P channels. Probably 6 1080P w/HDR channels. The breakdown of what combinations of channels are possible begins on Page 15 of the following article.
https://www.radioclubofamerica.org/...LACE_RCA_TECH_SYMPOSIUM_111317_PIT_Rev4-1.pdf

Reactions: comfortably_numb
What is expected and what is delivered are usually not all that in line with each other. You ask how many of one thing a system can do at a time and you get a theoretical maximum. If you ask what it is going to do with all of the extra goodies (graphic overlays, independent captioning, non-video data, ad insertion) thrown in, the numbers erode.

It goes both ways. There was a time when two HD channels was considered unthinkable with DTV and after a few years, they eventually got there (at a non-negligible cost).

I also heard that ATSC 3.0 is perfect for people on the move, unlike the current ATSC standard. The people at WRAL-TV 5 demonstrated this with a flat screen TV inside a bus full of people watching the Olympic Games.

I've always been wary of the mobile claims. There was supposed to be a mobile element of DTV. Having a documented standard doesn't mean it will be effectively implemented.

This is another one of those things that may be seeing wide use in Korea where SFN is the underlying broadcast technology but it perhaps doesn't hold up where SFN coverage isn't present.

The reality of ATSC 3.0 is one UHD channel or 6 to 8 1080P channels.
Isn't it theory until they deploy it in the real world on a broad scale?

The Ericsson bandwidth chart looks closer to five HD channels than eight and that would appear to be exclusive of WCG, HDR and "immersive sound".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts