Interesting Video on How to Revive the PS Vita

NSFW: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9111-Revivify-The-Cold-Vitae

Lot's of great points that wouldn't necessarily involve major developers cranking out new AAA titles.
I loved the console barnacle reference.

The video won't play on my iPad. I wanted to say that I'm happy with my Vita though. For me it's mostly a portable indie machine and I'm fine with that. Not only that but most of those indie games were free with PS Plus. AAA style games like Uncharted and Killzone are nice to have on the Vita but I'd usually rather play something simpler with the sound off while I'm on the go. I'll plug headphones in when I can and play a story based game but that's not always easy.

Can't watch it either. Vita is dead unless they can get the new SKU to $99, and even then it isn't getting 3rd and even most 1st party support back.

It is a PS4 remote play accessory at best unless Sony does something drastic that nobody is reasonably expecting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Can't watch it either. Vita is dead unless they can get the new SKU to $99, and even then it isn't getting 3rd and even most 1st party support back.

It is a PS4 remote play accessory at best unless Sony does something drastic that nobody is reasonably expecting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I don't think it will miraculously start selling millions of units. I still wouldn't say it's dead though. Like I said, it's a very good indie machine and there are more of them available than I have time to play. They aren't going to get many big games like Borderlands 2 but the indie support is very good.

I'm a frequent viewer of Jim Sterling and saw this video (It won't play on mobile unless you're a paying member.)

His basic point is that the Vita isn't being supported properly by Sony. It doesn't have many games, and most of them are ports (Hence the term "Portstation Vita") and to not allow various PS1 and PSP games on the system makes no sense. He mentioned the incident where Sony suddenly allowed tons of PS1/PSP games to be on the Vita only to have them be taken down. He reminded us of how Sony USED to update the PS store rather frequently with PS1/PSP titles but now it's gone to basically a standstill with no new releases for the Vita. He also points out how some games require you to download to the PS3 first, then put through some sort of conversion process, THEN copied over to the Vita. Finally, he thinks that the Remote Play feature is "oversold" and that they should market it more just as a gaming device, and that while he loves the indie support it has, it can still be better. I still suggest you all watch this video when you have access to a computer.

TL;DR: The Vita is an awesome system and it's a shame that they're actually holding games back from it.

Given the choice between sitting down at my consoles/PC or playing a Vita game I would always choose the console. That gives me the bigger screen, surround sound, and a better controller.

PS3/PS4 games also have the potential to blow Vita games out of the water graphically too. Many games (indies, the Rayman Series, Sly Cooper, etc...) look at play identically on the PS3 and Vita. It is capable of putting out some beautiful graphics when the developers go for the right art design. Games like Uncharted that go for a more realistic look don't do quite as well. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary are two of the most graphically impressive games I have ever seen on a mobile device (alongside Rayman). They just don't look quite as good as Uncharted or Killzone on the PS3. You will never see something that looks as good as The Last of Us on the Vita unless you are using remote play from the PS4.

So basically this is my long winded way of saying, of course modern home consoles are better way to play games than a Vita. That still doesn't stop me from saving almost every game that is identical on both platforms for the Vita. There are a lot of situations where a mobile gaming platform makes sense. I have lots of other things to occupy my time at the cabin but it's still nice to play a little Hotline Miami when the rest of the family has gone to sleep and there is no TV or internet. I spend a lot of nights in hotels by myself. I don't watch a lot of TV outside of specific shows so surfing the basic cable channels in a hotel room has 0 appeal to me. I like to read but outside of that it comes down to screwing around on the iPad or playing something on the Vita. A lot of times I choose the Vita. I like to play on the Vita while I'm watching a random baseball game sometimes too, whether it's a native Vita game or a PS4 game via remote play. I could go on and on but the point is there are a lot of times where I love to have my Vita around.

I rarely feel the need to buy a game. I do get certain specific ones I want to play but PS Plus gives me more quality Vita games than I have time to play in the situations where mobile gaming makes more sense than sitting at my console/PC. I think I would still be happy with the Vita even if I never spent a dollar buying games for it.

Given the choice between sitting down at my consoles/PC or playing a Vita game I would always choose the console. That gives me the bigger screen, surround sound, and a better controller.

PS3/PS4 games also have the potential to blow Vita games out of the water graphically too. Many games (indies, the Rayman Series, Sly Cooper, etc...) look at play identically on the PS3 and Vita. It is capable of putting out some beautiful graphics when the developers go for the right art design. Games like Uncharted that go for a more realistic look don't do quite as well. Don't get me wrong, Uncharted Golden Abyss and Killzone Mercenary are two of the most graphically impressive games I have ever seen on a mobile device (alongside Rayman). They just don't look quite as good as Uncharted or Killzone on the PS3. You will never see something that looks as good as The Last of Us on the Vita unless you are using remote play from the PS4.

So basically this is my long winded way of saying, of course modern home consoles are better way to play games than a Vita. That still doesn't stop me from saving almost every game that is identical on both platforms for the Vita. There are a lot of situations where a mobile gaming platform makes sense. I have lots of other things to occupy my time at the cabin but it's still nice to play a little Hotline Miami when the rest of the family has gone to sleep and there is no TV or internet. I spend a lot of nights in hotels by myself. I don't watch a lot of TV outside of specific shows so surfing the basic cable channels in a hotel room has 0 appeal to me. I like to read but outside of that it comes down to screwing around on the iPad or playing something on the Vita. A lot of times I choose the Vita. I like to play on the Vita while I'm watching a random baseball game sometimes too, whether it's a native Vita game or a PS4 game via remote play. I could go on and on but the point is there are a lot of times where I love to have my Vita around.

I rarely feel the need to buy a game. I do get certain specific ones I want to play but PS Plus gives me more quality Vita games than I have time to play in the situations where mobile gaming makes more sense than sitting at my console/PC. I think I would still be happy with the Vita even if I never spent a dollar buying games for it.

I would've much rather played Uncharted Golden Abyss on a big screen. In fact, the whole time I was playing it I kept telling myself, I wish this was on a big screen so I could actually see those tiny little heads off in the distance I'm trying to shoot. Not surprisingly, the game incorporated many scripted moments where you had to use a sniper rifle with a powerful scope.

On the other hand, I loved playing Rayman Origins on the Vita. Even though I sucked, I pushed myself to reach the next world so I could see how it looked. Right now I'm playing Thomas Was Alone, which we got free from Plus for both systems, but I'd rather play it on the Vita when I'm watching sports on TV. I can't imagine playing such a simplistic-looking game on a bigger screen.

If I remember correctly, another big point Jim Sterling made was that there's this whole world of mobile games from indie developers that Sony could tap into and port, giving the system a ton of new content. And because the Vita itself is such a great piece of hardware, why wouldn't you rather play them on a Vita than some other mobile device? In other words, just give us more games. We don't care if they aren't exclusive AAA titles (as originally promised).

To date, the only game I've bought for the Vita was the Uncharted Fight for the Fortune card game. I have so much backlog of free content (on both PS3 and Vita), it just doesn't make any sense for me to buy anything else right now. Though I've been very tempted to buy Tearaway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)