Interior installation questions

jskibi

Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Sioux Falls, SD
The Dish Network installers are scheduled to be here on 1/4/05. I ordered the 522 upstairs and the 811 downstairs. My order includes *free* professional installation. I confirmed 3 times that no additional charges would be included for anything to get the system running. WOW! (I chose Dish over DirecTv to avoid any initial equipment purchases. This is my first time with satellite service and don't want to be stuck with anything I will regret.)

I have read complaints that some are having difficulties with the 811 and that the HD content is poor.

My questions are:

1. Should I have another DVR installed in the basement to take advantage of the installation necessary (another coaxial cable run), then immediately switch back to the 811 to see if I like the receiver and HD content? (As I understand the policy there is a $5 fee to switch receivers which would be less than paying for installation.)

2. Would I no longer qualify for the free 6 months of HD?

3. Would Dish install an additional run to the basement as a courtesy in the event that I may eventually switch a HD receiver to a DVR? If not, what does this installation typically cost?

4. Am I making this much too difficult?

Thanks for any input,
Joe

I'm not 100% sure on this, but if you by-pass the 811 at install it will cost you more then $5.00 to get it later. I believe that you'll have to purchase the 811 after you become a customer. As far as the additionasl coax run to basement without the 522, I'm sure that the installer will want to charge you for that as it won't be included with the install. If I were you, I would ask him how much he would charge and then make a counter offer I.E the $20.00 bill in your pocket. If he's an RSP tech he'll probably say something around $59.00 Good luck.

You can go ahead and believe what the "sales person" told you about EVERYTHING being free but really it isn't. If you go here: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/index.shtml you will see what you will definitely get for free. I'm an installer myself so I'm not saying to screw over the installer but keep this in mind. An installer typically only gets paid if they do the install. If you are willing to pay for instance for attic work or wall fishes etc, why not take your money. If you aren't willing to pay is it worth leaving since they already drove out there gas money etc... However at the end of the day the installer DIDN'T tell you it was going to be free some sales person that make more than the installer did. If the installer makes a reasonable offer just pay them and if you think they did a good job keep in mind a tip is always appreciated.

I am always willing to pay for service, and tip generously (restaurants, hotels, etc., where tips represent a significant part of the service provider's income). A tip for an installer? Okay, right. Right after I tip my doctor for a gentle rectal exam. :haha

Some receivers always gonna have a problem but 811 is a good one because I installed some of them and all are working great!. Now, you better get the 811 in you first installation because You won't be able to make changes after three days later or you will pay some fee for the receiver(I believe that). You can ask the intaller if he can run a dual cable instead a single one but you will expect additional charge fee (more or less $20 depent how long is the run). It's a good idea to have dual cable for future receivers upgrade like 522 or HD 921 and not additional fee for the installation upgrade.
Welcome to Dish! :yes

I am always willing to pay for service, and tip generously (restaurants, hotels, etc., where tips represent a significant part of the service provider's income). A tip for an installer? Okay, right. Right after I tip my doctor for a gentle rectal exam. :haha

Two different things completely.

An installer get paid a set amount to complete install to codes set by the company no matter how easy or difficult it may be (and unfortunately, these days not really enough but it's a job).
If the installer goes above an beyond in making sure the job is done neatly and he or she is friendly and helpful, then why not tip them.

I could come out to your house and do the minimum to get by and not care what the final product looks like. I could make you pull all your TV's and entertainment centers out or take your TV off the wall as I am technically not aloud to do that. I could leave droops in the cable as I wrap your house instead of making sure it is straight or instead of finding a way to hide it completely. I could give you the minimum explanation of equipment operation instead of spending extra time making sure you understand the extra features.

Basically, I could get the job done quickly or spend an extra 30 minutes to an hour making sure everything is done how I would want it done on my house and still only get the same pay.

Yes, I get paid to do a job but all I have to do is make sure it passes a QC.
I do quality work because I take pride in what I do and I hope to get a little extra for that pride.
I have seen the slop others get away with, but I choose not to follow that route.

Sorry for being so brash but a customers thanks and compliments to me and my supervisors (although appreciated) don't pay the bills. You if truly appreciate the hard work of somebody that came in your home, why not slide them and extra $20 for an install or $10 for an upgrade. (Or more if you feel froggy lol)

Dude, seriously, this thread is six years old. I know that sometimes Dish installs are a bit slow, but geez!

Sorry, came up at the top of search and didn't notice the date.
Didn't realize they didn't go from new to old.
Oh well, I suppose that is the purpose of keeping it on a forum, so it can be revisited and maybe even added to.
If the owners admins didn't want that, then maybe they would lock it.

Maybe it is stored so you can stand on a soap box to shun some newb like me when I post in it.
Or maybe it is stored so some newb like me can post in it in order to piss you off so the owners/admins and other members can laugh at you.

I don't know, you figure it out.
If I tried to argue it, I would just loose, so I could care less;)

Sorry, came up at the top of search and didn't notice the date.
Didn't realize they didn't go from new to old.
Oh well, I suppose that is the purpose of keeping it on a forum, so it can be revisited and maybe even added to.
If the owners admins didn't want that, then maybe they would lock it.

Maybe it is stored so you can stand on a soap box to shun some newb like me when I post in it.
Or maybe it is stored so some newb like me can post in it in order to piss you off so the owners/admins and other members can laugh at you.

I don't know, you figure it out.
If I tried to argue it, I would just loose, so I could care less;)

no, if it had pissed me off I would have ended with :mad: or :rant:. If I had wanted to stand on my soapbox and shun you I would have used :rolleyes:.
but since you can care even less than what you do now, I will just cut you lose! ;) :D

Some days a generous tip DOES represent a significant part of the service provider's income. Nothing is for free - you get what you pay for, or don't pay for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts