International Basic Package

wahinzi

Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Received a letter from dish informing that I will be changed from $6.00 service charge to the International Basic Package for $10.00/month since I only subscribe to Int. package. I looked up what consists of International Basic Package and was amazed what Dish believes is "international basic" -- are they serious?? See line up below from their site. Since when is C-SPAN, BYUTV, EWTN or TBN considered International programming. I'm glad they include BBC America (oh wait that's not BBC World). Maybe they should reconsider their "international" line up and give us channels that are truly basic such as CNN International, BBC world...heck I'll even consider PBS....but this line-up is simply pathetic.

BBC AMERICA
BYUTV
C-SPAN
Christian Television Network
COLOURS TV
ETERNAL WORD TELEVISION NETWORK
Eurochannel
EuroNews
FRANCE 24
FREE SPEECH TV
HITN
KBS WORLD
KIDS & TEENS TELEVISION
LINK TV
NASA
NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY/UNIVERSITY HOUSE
TRACE TV
TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA
V-ME

Switch to english welcome pack (no locals) for 9.99 and you will get much more for the money.

Most of the channels in the above list are public interest channels that are free with any subscription to Dish Network. Essentially you are getting BBC America (which is a US channel with some british programming), EuroChannel, Euronews, and France 24 for $10 a month. The rest of the channels are free.

Most of the channels in the above list are public interest channels that are free with any subscription to Dish Network. Essentially you are getting BBC America (which is a US channel with some british programming), EuroChannel, Euronews, and France 24 for $10 a month. The rest of the channels are free.

That's correct - as I've had the Public Interest (PI) channels prior to this change. Thx.

heh. DIrectv does the same thing for their International. Basically its all the shopping/church channels for $12. But they include the audio channels and locals

At least DirecTV gives up a bit more then Dish Network. Since only 17.5% (EuroChannel, Euronews, France 24 and BBC America - this one gets the .5% since it is some british pgming) of the line-up is true "International" I think we should take a quick poll to see what channels should be considered in a International Basic Channel line-up. I'll start, including these 3.5 channels that Dish includes:

BBC World
CNN International
Fox Sports
News channel from the African Continent (say News24 from So. Afr.)
News channels broad casted in English from other continents

The objective should be to list your favorite channel(s) from your world travels that would be BASIC in nature and INTERNATIONAL in content - KEEP IT CLEAN GUYS!

I'm hoping one of the more respected Dish Network member(s) will see the thread and can help get this message to the appropriate ranks within Dish...ditto to those on Directv.

I'm certainly not going to defend that lineup, not enough true international for sure. But I'm wondering if they aren't allowed to include anything else (international) in there, especially if Direct doesn't offer anything much different....

For sake of argument here is the D* Basic package (12.99 includes locals and most of the audio channels)

BYU TV
CCTV9
CTN
CHURCH CHANNEL
CSPAN1
CSPAN2
DAYSTAR
ENLACE
EWTN
GEMS
GOD TV <------recently moved to a HD sat so it probably isnt part anymore
HSN
HOPE
JEWELRY
JLTV
LINK
MHZ
NASA
NRB
QVC
SHOP NBC
TCT
THE 101
WORD
TBN
World Harvest TV

So other than The 101 its basically the "public interest" channels

How come Dish Network doesn't list this package (International Basic) and its channels on its website ?

How come Dish Network doesn't list this package (International Basic) and its channels on its website ?
The International Basic package is a new package and it has not been updated on the website yet, but will be shortly. Dish Network has done away with all "Access Fees" and has required customers to have a core package. Those International customer's who had an access fee on their account prior to 2-1, have been moved to the International Basic Package. All our customer"S do have the ability to switch to the Welcome pack, the Latino Welcome Pack, or higher programming package, if they choose. This new package consists of a few channels that were in most of the all the International packages and a few basic programming channels. It is correct that BBC America is not in HD.
I will most definetly pass your channel concerns on to my programming department. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know! Have a great night, gentlemen!!

The International Basic package is a new package and it has not been updated on the website yet, but will be shortly. Dish Network has done away with all "Access Fees" and has required customers to have a core package. Those International customer's who had an access fee on their account prior to 2-1, have been moved to the International Basic Package. All our customer"S do have the ability to switch to the Welcome pack, the Latino Welcome Pack, or higher programming package, if they choose. This new package consists of a few channels that were in most of the all the International packages and a few basic programming channels. It is correct that BBC America is not in HD.
I will most definetly pass your channel concerns on to my programming department. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know! Have a great night, gentlemen!!

Which of these base channels will avoid the $6 international channels?
Dish America
English welcome pack - Can we add locals to it?
International Basic

quizzer
you need a package if you want Internationals. Options are
-any English or Spanish package
-International basic for $10 (list above)
-Locals only for $10
-Welcome Pack for 10 (15 with locals)

The International base channels are a bunch of rip off channels.

They drop prices, but trying to make more customers get the American channels in the Top 120/200+

The International base channels are a bunch of rip off channels.

would you rather have them charge you $10 for gits and shiggles because you dont have a base pack (as they use to charge you 7 bucks just because)?
At least you get some channels. Yes most are PI which are free for everyone but there are some that aren't...like
BBC AMERICA
Eurochannel
EuroNews
FRANCE 24
TRACE TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)