International Channels only receiver addition...totally lost

Spooon69

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Hi,

I'm trying to add an additional receiver at my parents home. They've had DISH for about 5-6 years now and they only use it for International channels (61.5 I think). They have local cable for everything else. They wanted to watch the DISH channels on another tv and wanted DVR too. Simple enough I thought.

I went onto eBay, bought a DISH 625 and called DISH to tell me what else I'd need to do. They activated the box and told me I'd need a Quad LNBF as well (I currently have a 2800 receiver hooked up and the LNBF outside is a BS1H1UP201M). No biggie, bought the quad off eBay and called the DISH installation guy.

Well the guy came this morning (I wasn't there) and apparently didn't do anything because he said we need a DPP44 switch and not the Quad LNBF and then he just left, even though DISH customer service said that I'd need a Quad LNBF only (I called twice on different days).

So what do I need to do? Call the installation guy back and tell him he's wrong and just to install the Quad and bring another line into the house? or buy a DPP44, hook it up to the single line coming into the house now and then send that to the 2800 and the 625? And how does the 625 separator work with all this? (TV has PIP). And then theres all the confusion I got from reading so many posts in this forum about mixing Legacy hardware with switches, do I need to worry about that with the DPP44?

I searched and searched, but didn't come across anybody else having a similar 61.5 only problem as mine. Thanks.

Also, just wanted to mention, the 2nd tuner in the DISH 625 doesn't have to be used. It definitely isn't going to be connected to another room, but if it's possible to PIP, then I might as well.

I'd replace the old 2800 with the 625. That gives you two tuners with 2 outputs and if you have it plugged into the phone line, there is no extra 5.00 receiver fee :)

Also since you have just internationals, the tech was smoking something. You probably have just a single dish up there so the quad would work (so would have a 3x4 multiswitch to give you 4 outputs from the dual LNB :)

Well hooking up the 625 to the second tv will be a pain, it's all the way downstairs, it's probably worth just paying the extra $5/month.

So I can just go outside, replace my dual LNBF with the quad, bring in a second line to the house and be good to go? No switches necessary then? Will a separator still work on the 625?

Thanks for the info Iceberg. Now how hard is it to replace an LNBF?

Spooon69 said:
Well hooking up the 625 to the second tv will be a pain, it's all the way downstairs, it's probably worth just paying the extra $5/month.

So I can just go outside, replace my dual LNBF with the quad, bring in a second line to the house and be good to go? No switches necessary then? Will a separator still work on the 625?

no. You need two lines from the LNB to the 625. A Separator will not work.

Great, thanks again. Guess I'm going to replace my dual lnbf with a quad lnbf and bring in another line to my house this weekend. Hopefully no problems running the 2800 and the 625. I'm hoping I don't need a switch, cause right now I don't have any.

Spooon69 said:
Great, thanks again. Guess I'm going to replace my dual lnbf with a quad lnbf and bring in another line to my house this weekend. Hopefully no problems running the 2800 and the 625. I'm hoping I don't need a switch, cause right now I don't have any.

there shuldn't be. But one question on the quad

On the outside of it (the front) does it say "Dish Network" or "DishPro" (DishPro will have a black DP logo)

uh oh

now we have an issue. The 2800 is an older box called Legacy. The 625 is newer and can accept DishPro LNB's. The 2800 will not accept the DishPro LNB as is without a 70 dollar converter.

Legacy LNB's will work with any receiver

So I can't output 2 cables from my Dual LNBF to both the 2800 and the 625?

If not, then I guess I have 2 options:

1) Buy a DPP44 and hook up my Quad LNBF
2) Replace my 2800 with a 311 and hook up my Quad LNBF

Am I right in thinking #2 would be the cheaper option?

With only 1 satellite, you have another option. Assuming you have a legacy dual LNB, you can just add a standard multi-switch found in the DirecTV accessories section of many stores. If they ever add another satellite slot, the multi-switch will have to be replaced by a Dish multi-sat switch.

EKB Switch Selector

Question on how to add 4th sat

Playback breakup on 622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)