Internet connection for HWS ?

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I have 2 HWS that are not connected to the internet. My pc is connected via Ethernet cable.

What do I need in order to keep the pc connected as is, but connect the HWS wirelessly?

From the HWS closest to the router: Menu, settings, network setup, broadband, wireless setup, wizard, select your network and enter your password.
Once your connected make sure from the broadband screen select network details and enable bridging to share the internet connection with the other hopper.

My main advice on a router is not to overspend.

What speed is your internet connection?

Do you plan on viewing content inside your home on other wireless devices - phones/tablets/pcs/etc?

My main advice on a router is not to overspend.

What speed is your internet connection?

Do you plan on viewing content inside your home on other wireless devices - phones/tablets/pcs/etc?

present speed is 1.5, but will upgrade
at present no plans to use smart phones or tablets

Not in your present case, I would recommend if you plan on upgrading to a significantly higher speed in the nearer future, you'd already have the equipment.

Not at those speeds, unless you have some serious source of interference in the 2.4 band.

I do plan to upgrade the internet speed..........but I do have another question or two.............

My setup is as follows

HWS - bedroom, which is close to my pc
HWS - great room, farther away from pc, but has wireless access point for wireless joey & has bridging enabled in order for wireless joey to see recordings on bedroom HWS

If I setup the bedroom HWS with the wireless internet connection........do I have to enable bridging on it for the great room HWS & the wireless joey to use the internet connection? That would have both HWS with bridging enabled, which I have read is a no-no. Would it be better/simplier to connect the great room HWS with the internet connection since bridging is already enabled?

If I do choose a dual band router, will that cause a problem with the wireless joey?

I can't speak from direct experience with a wireless Joey, but you should be OK with bridging on both, as long as only one is directly connected to the router.

A dual band router should coexist OK with a Wireless Joey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)