Internet problem with Hopper

Max devices setting? Never seen that before.... now I'm curious and am going to look. I'm running dd-wrt though.

I believe it's actually the max amount of IPs allowed. The router should be able to handle around 100 IPs I believe, but his router was set up to only support 5 for some odd reason. Once he changed that, he had no issues connecting more devices all at the same time. I would just make sure DHCP is enabled and the local devices are set up for auto configuration so that multiple devices aren't given the same IP and then crashing the network.

I've read about it a few times online and that was my friends issue. Maybe he was messing around in his router and changed it by accident, who knows.

What brand was the router? Do you know?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Running a WRT54G here with dd-wrt firmware. It defaults to (50) DHCP addresses. I'm sure even the stock firmware is similar to (50).

I recall having assigned a 100 ip adresses gap when I set it up. I will have to go back at check tonight.

Not necessarily. When I set up routers I normally assign static IPs then limit the pool of addresses to be assigned to less than 20.

No reason to let it be 50 or the maximum of 254.

If the IP address reservation had been set to something like 28 days and you have a small pool it is entirely possible to run out of assignable IPs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Can you explain how the reservation of 28 days would affect the possibility of running out of assignable IP's?

As I understand it (if my DHCP range is > 100) I would have to connect more than 100 devices before I run into problems right?

I think it's standard protocol for DHCP servers to remember what IP is assigned to a device by it's MAC address. Ever notice how your devices generally always have the same "dynamic" IP address ? In theory, it should get a different IP every time it connects to the router. My Dish receiver is always 192.168.1.127, for example.

Now, a worst case scenario for your question is that you could connect (100) devices one time within 28 days and then disconnect them. Because it holds onto those IPs, just in case they re-connect, your router won't re-use those IPs for new devices and hit that limit. Safe to say, hardly anybody is going to encounter this problem !!

Well whatever it was I got the Hopper to get Broadband. I used another wireless router as an extended AP (disabled DHCP, and assigned IP's outside of my D-Link pool). So the Hopper was not able to connect to the DI-624 directly but could connect thru this other AP (an Encore ENHWI-N3) I had laying around. :confused: {goes to try Sling adapter) :D

My two centa worth here...
It almost sounds like a QOS issue. When the Hopper needs the bandwidth it seems like it takes all of it which leaves the other devices out in the cold. Not sure if this would cause the dropping offline or not. Try setting some of your other devices higher in the QOS scheme of things and see what happens.

I may have missed it, but how much bandwidth are we talking about? In other words, what is your ISP giving you?

I don't think I have QOS on my old router. I will check. BTW, My ISP gives me 5Mbps down.

I think it's time to EOL my Dlink and upgrade to whatever is out there. But in the meantime problem is gone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)