Internet Service?

Would it be optimal to have 60 subs per T1 if they were at 512Kb or at 1.5 Mb each or is that an average of half and half?

Stargazer said:
Would it be optimal to have 60 subs per T1 if they were at 512Kb or at 1.5 Mb each or is that an average of half and half?
It may actually be for lower speeds than that.

Like I said, it's an old rule of thumb.

I would like to start up service. Almost 90 people signed a petition here to get high speed internet service to see if Verizon would get DSL here for that. The Verizon technician says that there is a line coming from the central office already but there has to be a card put in and it costs like $10,000 to do that. I would set up a service if I would not lose any money doing it even if I would make little or nothing. I would just like to get some high speed service here. I would probably put the extra money back in case some extra cost would arise. If it was successful enough I may try to make a profit or hire some people (because people could really use the jobs around here). If I were to make a profit I would not aim at making a whole lot. I see a lot of changes/improvements coming with wireless. There are lots of trees and hills here and people do not have the money to pay out upfront and may not have a whole lot to spend per month. I was told I could get a T1 line here for over $200 per month.

Depends, Dish may launch it sometime next year, remember not everyone lives in an urban setting. Just venture into Wyoming and Montana for example. Wifi is years off, and the only way is Dial up or the other 2. They may lauch, just wait until they perfect the way to bring TV, high speed and phone over the power lines. Don't laugh it is not that far off. Than the big power coop's will take control of the market. maybe

agreed we have a T1 at our office and it is 515 a month, just to reitarate, Wifi, is still a few years off in the rural, and i mean rural setting

Dish Dude said:
agreed we have a T1 at our office and it is 515 a month, just to reitarate, Wifi, is still a few years off in the rural, and i mean rural setting
Then there's a market opportunity for you. You mentioned Wyoming - if that's where you're at maybe the WISP I've got (and will soon be installing for) wants to expand north - they're already up & down the Colo. Front Range, and expanding.

In my RURAL county (maybe more rural than yours), they have 3 towers, each one covering around 300 sq.mi.

A consultant I spoke with when I was looking into starting a WISP here said there are two things to remember: First, you have to be able to turn a profit on each new client within 6 months and second, you have to add businesses as customers to turn your profit. He said relying on residential customers is a kiss of death because you usually have to either subsidize or completely provide free of charge, the startup equipment and that makes the length of time it takes to begin to see a profit go further out (beyond six months).

SimpleSimon said:
(Geosynchronous) satellite internet service is a last-ditch choice. There is simply no way to overcome the propogation delay issue that makes it worthless for some applications (like online gaming) and difficult for others (such as VPN). The market is already saturated. I'm glad that WildBlue is there to keep DirecWay honest, but it's NOT a growth industry any more.

I disagree with you alittle. While Satellite internet service is useless to gamers bacause of the lag time, Every major company for example, gas stations, fast food chains, hotels all use Direcway to run there network.
Plus there are thousands of people that are starting to work from home now, and while the VPN's are an issue the new 7000's "while not correcting the problem" are a big help. If you have a .98 dish its not that bad. Most companys will pay for the installation and the monthly bills for their employees. Our company can actually put up around 200 systems in a weeks time.

One thing I wonder about WildBlue. Does anyone know when they will have another bird up and running or do they already? Only one is going to fill up fast.

i believe it is just the one bird, at 111. but each area is serviced by a bunch of spotbeams. and you lock the modem on to one of the specific spotbeams. who knows, they may eventually have to use another bird to keep their bandwidth up.

Hello there. New to the site....interesting thread. I agree with many of the comments but wanted to add that a significant market not mentioned here is mobile users and not just the RV crowd.
I'm talking about disaster recovery, homeland security, university research teams, geologists in remote areas, surveyors in remote areas, archaeological digs in remote areas, mountain fire fighting, all these situations are looking for an affordable rapidly deployable solution to set up INTERNET access quickly and where there is no other option.
Yes WB is nice but you can't move it around the country, and what happens when the transponders start loading up? Both Starband and DW had great speeds when they first came online but as soon as contention rates went up the service began to suffer.
No doubt that INTERNET via satellite is absolutely the system of last resort but in those situations it's better than sliced bread. To be able to set up a tripod mounted system that costs around $1700 or less in under 30 min anywhere in the USA, most of Mexico, and some of Canada is truly a remarkable achievment in tecnology.

WildBlue

Scott Greczkowski said:
I like Wildblue over Direcway, the speeds were much better with Wildblue.
I like WildBlue's prices better then the other sevice. I can't afford $599 up front for Directway.

I bet that by 1st Q 2006 you will see both *B and DW come down in price to match WB's offerings. Starband will offer a stripped down version of Gilats new SE modem and is going to be leasing additional transponder space. They will also be slashing pricing across the board.

SkyWay USA contacting me today about starting (I thought they already did). They say they are not doing internal modems anymore and going to do all external modems (like DW, SB, and WB does). It is the one way service that sends back through dialup.

TAIMAK said:
I like WildBlue's prices better then the other sevice. I can't afford $599 up front for Directway.

At $480 (according to their website), WB isnt much better. I would certainly consider WB, if they found some way to contain the high startup costs.

That is what's wrong with all of the two-way broadband satellite services. Too high of a startup cost. If they would either lower their monthly price or the upfront cost then they could get more business.

In my area, the only WiFi service available cost $350 for start up, and it was $39 a month for less than HALF (256Kbps, though same for upload and download speeds) of the speed of DW (Direcway). Anyways, I went with DW cause they offered the $99 down and $99 a month for a year plan. Wildblue don't, it is only $499 and $49 a month @ 512Kbps DL (download) and 128 Kbps (that’s Kilo-bits-per-second :) ) UL (upload). With DW it is 700 Kbps DL and 128Kbps UL, for $59 a month, or $99 for their 99/99 plan, which is what sold me on DW, cause I didn't have $350 (WiFi), $499, or $599 for the setup.

I've done some reading, and it sounds like to me, and IMO the reason why Wildblue is perhaps faster, is because they don't have the customer base, and what speed advantage they might have will slowly disappear.

Then there is the FAP (Fair Access Policy) that both companies have, WB is 2GB per month and DW is around 169MB per 4 hour time slot, and both will reduce your available bandwidth (some say at or below dial-up, don't know for sure on that) for 6-12 hours with DW (yes, apparently it varies) and I have no idea on WB. Both suck, but do the math, you could DL more than 2GB's per month with DW. Although, keeping DL's below 169MB per 4 hours, is a little harder :), especially with high speed (at least higher than Dial up :) ) internet. (FAP I know isn't that simple, but surely you can get more than 2GB per month with DW)

I'd love to have access to DSL, I'm less than a mile from the cut-off that SBC has (entered phone #'s of people that I know that live about 3/4 mile from me, and it is available to them, but when I enter my # it says that I am outside of their service area) The WiFi alternative that I've got available was slower, and it isn't that much cheaper to get setup than DW. Then I don't have the $499 for WildBlue, so the only choice I had/have was DW. I am hopeful that it will be better than dial-up at least :).

P.S. Getting installed with DW's basic home plan or the 700Kbps plan on Thursday 12-8-05 :), hope it works out, and it isn't like the horror stories I've read :( on the net.

Last edited:
Hope you dont like online gaming in mmporgs because satellite net is not the way to go. I was a pilot tester for starband when it came around, I enjoyed a month of 2 - 3 meg downloads and then they got hit by the feds for conflicts with military communications and then they went public and after a year I closed down my free acount with them and went to comca$t for my internet so that I could come up from 200 down to something that was actually fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts