Internet Usage Monitor/Meter

dmp9898

Original poster
Apr 13, 2017
idaho
Is there a way to monitor internet usage by device / category of content / application ? Anything that will tell me what my Internet usage consists of, what device it is coming from and where the usage is at? I live in a fairly remote area and with the summer and wildfire season coming up it is very frustrating to not have the ability to monitor the weather and fires because my internet usage allowance for the month was used up over a period of 10 days.

Is there a way to monitor internet usage by device / category of content / application ? Anything that will tell me what my Internet usage consists of, what device it is coming from and where the usage is at?

Sign in to your router and look around. Many have traffic statistics. My old Netgear router had something like this, but my current Google Fiber router does not. If your router does not, you could look at open source router software like DD-WRT.

Yeah, most modern routers have such data and allow even granular control to throttle users/devices. I finally upgraded my router last year, and BOY, does it have a lot of statistical data and fine control of who and what I can play God to. It's great!

I'd say that the routers of the last few years have not only more statistics, but far more intuitive UI's to easily display and control who and what and how much access to the internet one wants to regulate. You don't have to be a techy to access this data and control it, at least for the routers made the last 5 or so years.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)