Invacom QPH-031 Ku LNB

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
I always wanted an Invacom QPH-031 LNB. In the old days, there was a whole sub-hobby of looking for scrambled channels that were temporarily in-the-clear. That's pretty much in the past. That's when the Invacom shone since it could receive linear and circular Ku transponders all in one LNB. And, I understand, even simultaneously receive them.

Since the price of the QPH-031 has come way down and, just for nostalgic reasons, I got one and it arrived today. The sucker is built like a tank! It's big. It's heavy. It looks and feels like it will last. Check out the attached photo which shows its size in relation to an Edision receiver. When I installed the Invacom and tried it, I thought there would be a compromise in the linear signals because it's a combo LNB and, well, it's old technology. Not so at all!

I'm quite familiar with what my GeosatPro SL1PLL standard and Avenger PLL universal LNBs can deliver. The Invacom is as good. And without playing around with sidecar additional LNBs, I can now scan in the circular transponders as well....just in case there are some ITC or maybe I want to watch a few Mexican channels.

So it's a keeper. Just having a product that performs elegantly is why I will leave it in place on my dish.

Invacom_Edision_sm.jpg

Invacom_dish_sm.jpg

I always wanted an Invacom QPH-031 LNB. In the old days, there was a whole sub-hobby of looking for scrambled channels that were temporarily in-the-clear. That's pretty much in the past. That's when the Invacom shone since it could receive linear and circular Ku transponders all in one LNB. And, I understand, even simultaneously receive them.

Since the price of the QPH-031 has come way down and, just for nostalgic reasons, I got one and it arrived today. The sucker is built like a tank! It's big. It's heavy. It looks and feels like it will last. Check out the attached photo which shows its size in relation to an Edision receiver. When I installed the Invacom and tried it, I thought there would be a compromise in the linear signals because it's a combo LNB and, well, it's old technology. Not so at all!

I'm quite familiar with what my GeosatPro SL1PLL standard and Avenger PLL universal LNBs can deliver. The Invacom is as good. And without playing around with sidecar additional LNBs, I can now scan in the circular transponders as well....just in case there are some ITC or maybe I want to watch a few Mexican channels.

So it's a keeper. Just having a product that performs elegantly is why I will leave it in place on my dish.

View attachment 162718

View attachment 162719
Does the weight of it affect the hanging angle of the dish arm? You might want to consider adding some bracing side arms a little higher up.

Reactions: polgyver and FTA4PA
Does the weight of it affect the hanging angle of the dish arm? You might want to consider adding some bracing side arms a little higher up.
I was afraid it might even pull down a touch on the dish making it necessary to adjust dish elevation. It didn't. I just replaced the previous LNB with the Invacom and I didn't even have to tweak the motor. The LNB arm is quite strong. My other dish still in storage has side support arms. I may eventually substitute that dish for this one and keep this dish for fixed use only.

There are advantages of this "floating" LNB arm. If necessary, you can tweak the LNB position when installing a new LNB with a little armstrong tuning of the arm.

I own two of them. I actually have one still being utilized for 110w/111w . One was linear the other is circular. The other one was used for 91w. Anik G1- I'm in the footprint of the Canadian bird, and used that one for the linear and circular signals.

They are nice LNBFS.

I also have one, but not in use. There wasn't enough circular pol FTA to have the added weight on the 33" inch dish. It does perform as well as any of the current slew of low noise PLL LNBs that I own. I believe it was made in the UK and 15 years ago was not cheap. Its an excellent LNBF.

Reactions: polgyver
I started a project with Invacom beginning in 2002 to develop the QP(x)-031 units. The engineering team was based in the UK, but the hardware was manufactured in China. The QP(F/H)-031 was introduced the unit to world here first, on SatelliteGuys in 2005. This was one of my first posts on SatelliteGuys. :)

A few years later theQPF-031 model was copied and the LC-101 clone came out in approximately 2008, imported into NA by a company in Canada.

Two weaknesses of the unit in an 18 year review and looking in the rear view mirror. The LANF cover became brittle and will disintegrate after years of exposure to UV. Be sure to coat the lens with a UV inhibitor every few years. The second item is the tendency for the DRO referenced LO to drift. Yes, they can be opened and retuned, but not by the casual user.

Hard to believe that this product started over 21 years ago with a late night phone call... :biggrin

I never knew that you helped to develop the Invacom QPH-031 Brain, but i am not surprised at all. I can say all these years later this product still holds it's own and works great. And of all the LNB's i have ever sold, this one had the least returns, like zero. So GREAT job. We (HyperMegaSat.com) purchased the last couple of pallets of these from DMS International several years ago. I wish i could remember exactly when that was. I do remember it was about 600 pcs. Today i did an inventory and we have 53 pcs left. What an impressive run for this product. 18 years later and it is still a great LNB for FTA to this day!

Applause

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

....You might want to consider adding some bracing side arms a little higher up.
My side arms are in storage. So after experimenting with my C-band LNBF and then reinstalling the QPH-031, I added supports using two light ropes from the LNB arm up to pre-drilled holes on the top of each side of the dish. When I snugged up the ropes, I gained over a dB. This will do for now.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Reactions: primestar31
I have one here too. Took it out of service a couple years ago when I noticed a crack in the feedhorn lens/cover. maybe these are replacable? Just some special clear plastic. I haven't taken it apart to look how it's put together.

So what are you watching on circular pol on FTA? KU or C band or both?

111w H/V 110w L/R - 110w has a turbo ITC channel. 111w has some DCII stuff. Both require special hardware which i have.

91w H/V and 91 L/R 91w H/V isn't what it was, so i rarely tune to that now, but 91w Nimiq 6 has paid tv service for Canada, and every once in awhile, there has been FTA content. There is a lot of AUDIO unencrypted, and has a preview channel that is FTA.

Reactions: jorgek and FTA4PA
111w H/V 110w L/R - 110w has a turbo ITC channel. 111w has some DCII stuff. Both require special hardware which i have.

91w H/V and 91 L/R 91w H/V isn't what it was, so i rarely tune to that now, but 91w Nimiq 6 has paid tv service for Canada, and every once in awhile, there has been FTA content. There is a lot of AUDIO unencrypted, and has a preview channel that is FTA.
I was looking at LyngSat and noticed a bunch of Spanish programming on 87w that is circular and says its in the clear. I haven't looked in a while, but that seems new to me, can you confirm? Id check myself but my motor broke and so I'm dead in the water at the moment.