Invacom - reviewing the reviewers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Today started out with a comment on another forum that the Invacom was not the Cadillac of LNBs.
And that the flanged versions were sub-standard...
I read a lot, and that was news to me. If it's common knowledge, please inform me.

I re-read the two Invacom reviews we have in the FTA Review section.
Both were positive, and an enjoyable read, but I wanted to extract just the facts.
In the comments after one review, someone incorrectly claimed the Invacom did only 5% better, by the reviewers own numbers.

I'll quote the relevant facts at the bottom, but has anyone tested any LNB that outperformed a similar Invacom?
Has anyone found a claimed 0.3db NF LNB that even equaled much less surpassed an Invacom?

I see that several posters have commented that they bought other 0.3db noise figure LNBs, and promised reviews.
Most didn't follow up.
In the few cases I've studied, either the writer concluded their new baby wasn't all it promised, or maybe equal at best.
Only one suggested his find was equal or better.

Invacom SNH-031 Review.
05-27-2005, 05:19 AM
by Cascade

Over the last year I've used a Winegard 76cm dish along with a DMSI ASC321 LNB.
Taking my favourite transponder on Galaxy10R -
TheTube on 11720/V/27692 my usual strength was 32% Signal/100% Quality which fluctuated
especially when wind was blowing and caused pixellation and macroblocks onscreen.
The Invacom raised my signal by 5 points to 37 but by far the best part
was a ROCK SOLID 100% quality reading.
37 - 32 = 5 point increase
100 / 32 * 5 = That's a 15.625% increase in signal STRENGTH

Review of Invacom QPH-031 C/L LNB
07-17-2005, 11:45 AM
by John Walsh

80cm Fortec Star dish...
With the original Coolsat .6db lnb I would get quality between 25 and 30 trying to get the Tube.
Most of the time it was unwatchable for me since I would lose lock on it often.
Add the Invacom and I immediately went to around 40-45% quality and got The Tube
with no problem and no breakup.
averaging 40-45 and 25-30, we get...
42.5 - 27.5 = 15 points increase
100 / 27.5 * 15 = Going from 27.5 to 42.5 is a 54.54% increase in signal QUALITY.

So, these two reviews both say the LNB is better than what they used before, by a significantly useful margin.
One stresses signal strength and one quality, but both agree they got better pictures.

The Invacoms cost more so people are already looking for an excuse to hate 'em.

The fact is, most people report a positive experience with them. A couple here said the more inexpensive LNBs performed better for them. This seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

I think the flanged LNBs leave more to work really well or go really bad. Mis-matched feedhorns to the dishes might get blamed for poor performance vs a 'normal' LNB.

If I put my Primestar back in action, I've got a couple WR75 flanged LNBs for H and V behind the C120 flange. If they don't work as nice as I'd like, I'll pick up the flanged quad polar Invacom and not even think twice about it.

high expectations

Shawn95GT said:
The Invacoms cost more so people are already looking for an excuse to hate 'em.
Absolutely true. And I think that may be the case.

But on the other hand, after spending way more, some people would be inclined to justify the expense with fish tails of how wonderful they worked.
(I used to have an uncle like that)

Or it could simply be that when you expect the better performance, you find the better performance.
A case of the observer affecting the outcome of the test.
That's why I'm looking for numbers to support the performance claims.

Based on what I've read here and on other sites, I've ordered an Invacom as my initial linear LNB.
Thanks to favorable review by IceBerg, I also have a 36" dish in transit.
Either should go a long way toward getting those elusive birds.
Both together were not much extra expense.
Needless to say, I'm expecting great things, and will be sorely pissed if I don't achieve 'em. :)

Just because it works great for one person does not mean it will work great for the next. Your setup may not be exactly the same as the reviewers or your location. Also these reviews are some what subjective - just like reviewing speakers...what sounds great to one person, sounds like crap to another. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way slamming the reviewers, they are extremely knowledgable people. I bought the Invacom LNB and noticed modest improvements but not great improvements. I believe if you are looking for great improvements then you will be disappointed. But then what's your definition of "great" ? Your mileage may vary :yes

everyone's got different opinions on different LNB's

I like the Xtreme LNB...the Invacom for me didnt work right because of the weightof the LNB...it made a couple signals go down.

as with almost anything...YMMV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)