IP Internet Delivered TV and DISH

Hunter Mackenzie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
I would think that since the percentage of people with access to high speed internet around the country is at large number Would there ever be a time when lets say DISH would offer their entire lineup via IP and the Internet? It would be great to have the same receiver hooked to the internet and receive the programming without having to install the Dish...This could add subscribers in places where they can not install dishes like in High Rise apartment complexes or places with no line of sight...now this does not have to be just something for DISH it could be for Cable as well if you like the programming on say Time Warner and have Comcast then you could get the box from Time Warner and view their services via IP or vice versa...What do you think?

Dish already has this which they advertise for the very reasons that you state. However it's limited to foreign programming. I've seen their advertisements for it on some OTA only channels.

DISH Network IPTV

IMO, I think they fear this sort of thing more than embrace it.

From a technical perspective, this is how AT&T Uverse works, but it's a closed system that will only work on their network. Uverse can often have some pretty bad limitations because of bandwidth issues related to sending their signal over the old copper phone plant.

Last edited:
At this time, I think it is way overstated that we are anywhere near close to having TV over the internet become a threat to SAT or CABLE, or that many people are willing to watch TV over the Internet. The reasons are varied.
1. I have DSL. It costs me $24 a month. Fast enough for me for surfing the internet, downloading most files, even watching the occasional TV show from Hulu.
To actually watch a TV program in HD, I would need to upgrade to Cable Internet, and in my area that cost is around $55+. So before I pay for TV services, I am paying something like $350 more a year. If I get my TV service from the Cable provider it would be lower, but going back to crapcable is not an option. Also if it is in competition with the cable company, just how much do you think they will charge another provider to use their lines? Is someone like Dish going to string their own lines?

2. There are still many areas of the country that do not have Cable Internet access for that kind of speed.

3. My DSL is actually quite reliable. Cable Internet much less so. I would be back to losing TV everytime there was a storm with wires down, or a car into a pole, etc..... One of the best things about Dish over the many many years I have had it is the reliability.

4. When it is feasible and should it become more popular, don't fool yourself. There will charges you never thought of, and I can almost guarantee the era of unlimited Internet will become extinct, or very pricey.

5. Thing we take for granted as free, such as Hulu will probably no longer be free.

Sure, to save money there are some students, and I'm sure others that get by with watching programs from the internet either free, or using Netflix for example. In hard times maybe even some families. The percentage is tiny however of those that rely solely on that or that never go back to SAT or CABLE eventually.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)