722K died... what now?

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
So my 722k died, and I'm convinced that I am interested in getting the 922. I am one of "those" people with a 3D TV, so no sense in limiting myself. Plus I'm a sucker for pretty things, so I'm excited for the new menus and such.

The dilemna that I've got is this: Do I get the 922 now, or wait for the next thing to come out? Anyone know if Dish has any standard release periods? Are the boxes out for xx many years before they come out with new lines (i.e. the phantom 923)

I guess I'm in the market for a new box NOW... I'm just wondering if I should tell them to send me another 722, or upgrade. Also, if I do upgrade, am I in for another 2 years? Not that it really makes any difference but I'm no longer under contract, so it is something to consider.

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to have something set in stone later this evening, so you're my last hope.

I am going off my readings here, but as far as I know, nothing was announced at CES regarding a new receiver, so I think you wait would be a long for another receiver to come out. I say go for the 922, it appears they are still rolling out updates for it to make it better, so they definitely haven't given up on it and it seems they have made great improvements already. I am having my 922 installed on Saturday.

If your 722 died you can have Dish fix it for a lot less than the $200 cost of the 922..

If you have the service plan it is just like $15 to get the 722 replaced.

Yeah, I could have gotten the 722 fixed for nothing actually. But, if I've gotta deal with a new box, now's the best time to upgrade. I'm not too worried about the cost, just hate to be the guy that buys something just to have it outdated in a month or two. Same reason I will not be buying the Verizon iPhone right away - I'll let them work out the kinks and I'll get the "new" one 6 months after everyone else gets locked in for 2 years.

No longer an issue though - I got my box about 6 hours ago. From what I can tell, it's pretty cool. Not everything is working yet, as it sounds like the receiver needs about 24 hours to fully download. But just the layout and responsiveness of the 922 seem to make it worthwhile so far. Once Sling works, and I get the station logos/preview pics with the programming - I think that will seal the deal for me.

I've had mine since April 8th and I absolutely love it. Never had a problem at all. Just got the dra app to work on my xoom. And it is pretty cool

I have both, the 722k and the 922. I prefer the 922, many of the bugs have been worked through, the Sling is still a work in progress but much better than it was early on last year.

I got my 922 on Friday and so far so good. By the time the tech left, the Sling worked and receiver was working quite well (was expecting things to be worse after reading the reviews.) Only couple issues so far; search as other's noted took overnight to start functioning. One program recorded all of 3 mins which was weird. Lastly the Sling interface as other's have mentioned in other threads works, but could use some work. Seems like long delays when controlling it (like a 3 - 10s lag for controls). Also while writing this the connection on the www site randomly gave me "No video signal" which happened another time as well.

Receiver came with Remote 2 out of the box, however no OTA ATSC module even though I was told by two different CSRs it was included (I asked specifically as I wanted one since we use the antenna). I even was sent by a CSR to tech support as my "OTA ATSC module did not come installed", meant I didn't know how it worked as the CSR kept telling me it WAS there... (that was a bit irritating)

As a whole the receiver seems to be much faster than the 622. Guide seems snappier by far and looks pretty good. So far not regretting the decision and wife seems happy. See how it goes over the next couple weeks.

-Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)