iPad word processor

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My wife and I are considering our new iPad as our laptop replacement. Is there a good word processor app for it? I know apple has pages but the reviews I read we're mixed. Also, how would she go about getting her documents from the iPad to her Mac? She would need them in .doc format.

There are several word processing apps for the iPad, ranging from Documents to Go (Premium), Quick Office HD, Pages, iWriter, and others. None of them are going to provide full laptop-replacement. Many offer syncing ability via google docs/drive, or dropbox, Pages has iCloud; most will allow a file to be emailed.

As someone who writes everyday, I simply do not see the iPad as a great replacement for a laptop when it comes to doing any serious writing. It can be done, but there are trade-offs. And any serious writing is going to demand an external keyboard, and I have to admit if I have a keyboard and a screen, I'd rather have the flexibility of an actual laptop.

But try an app, and see if it works for you.

Quick office is very good for a word replacement , but keynote is fantastic for presentations,

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

What is still amazing is that MS still charges so much $$ for its office suite. One wonders how much longer that will last.

What is still amazing is that MS still charges so much $$ for its office suite. One wonders how much longer that will last.

I always get a kick out of people saying that Microsoft is so much cheaper than Apple. When you compare the costs of Office, Visual C++ Pro and Windows to the IWorks, XCode and OS-X the price advantage disappears pretty quickly. But Apple is greedy and Microsoft isn't...

We picked up a Logitech keyboard for the iPad. Hopefully this will help make typing word documents easier. My wife is going to use it for her assignments when away from her Mac.

This iPad will do about 95% of what the laptop did for us. The other 5% I cant remember what it is. :)

Really all we did on the one that has now bit the dust was web browse, school work, and movies.

This iPad will do about 95% of what the laptop did for us. The other 5% I cant remember what it is. :)

Really all we did on the one that has now bit the dust was web browse, school work, and movies.

THose are all tablet functions; writing papers for school or work, not so much... BUT the iPad is awesome for taking notes in meetings, or class. Particularly with a good note-taking app like UPad or Notability and a good stylus.

Neutron said:
We picked up a Logitech keyboard for the iPad. Hopefully this will help make typing word documents easier. My wife is going to use it for her assignments when away from her Mac.
Is that the Logitech Bluetooth keyboard that is also a case? (http://mobile.logitech.com/en-us/tablet-accessories/keyboards/devices/ultrathin-keyboard-cover) I saw that reviewed by Sarah Lane and it looked like it was a good compromise for turning the iPad into a writing tool. I liked that it attached to the iPad using the magnets in the case, and securely held the iPad in either portrait or landscape mode while typing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)