Iphone on T-Mobile

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
Does anyone use or know someone who uses the IPhone on Tmobile?

I have been a t-mobile customer for ever and get a great discount from my work and with there new unlimited plans it just makes it really hard to want to switch.

Was wondering if anyone has had any experiance using the phone on another network (ala tmobile)

I currently have the G-1 and it works great I love the phone but would like to see about getting the Iphone but I do not wish to switch. Tmobile has decent 3g coverage in my area so thats not aproblem.

I'd say any talk of unlocking the iPhone for use with an unauthorized carrier is hack talk and should not be done here.

I dont want help finding an unlocked phone or hacking an iphone or any of the sorts.. Just wanna know if anyone has used it on another network and how well it handled. ;)

A Google search will tell you more.... I'll tell you what I read is you can use an iPhone on T-Mobile's network but will not have 3G capability as ATT and T-Mo use different setups.

There is nothing illegal about unlocking/jailbreaking an iphone.

Get with the rest of us in the 21st century...

One acronym rebuttal: DMCA

Yes, with the passing of DMCA any reverse engineering or modification of a software beyond it's licensed use is a violation. NOW, whether you'll get caught, and convicted or discovered and sued over it is an entirely different debate. Apple has already stated Jail Breaking is a violation of their terms of license. Their second charge, that jailbreaking is an act of terrorism; was quite over the top, however.

So, now that that is settled, I'm curious too about the experience of using an iphone on T-Mobile. Having been a T-Mobile customer, I would say the experience is worse than AT&T, far worse.

Considering Scott has posted stories about the iPhone being jailbroken and that he does it himself, I'd say the topic is perfectly allowable on this site.

Considering Scott has posted stories about the iPhone being jailbroken and that he does it himself, I'd say the topic is perfectly allowable on this site.

I've always considered that a bit of a double standard - no hack talk unless the owner of the site is also doing the same hacking - but it's his site.

First of all guys, if your not on a contract, and own the Iphone you CAN AND HAVE THE RIGHT TO UNLOCK IT! 2nd. The phone was designed for multiple carriers, not just for US use and Jail breaking the iphone isnt illegal. You have the right to install your own software on it! Its like installing your own game on windows. The act of jailbreaking the device might be a violation of the licence, but who cares? You own the copy of that software, you should be free to do what ever you want with it. If apple wants to come after me about jailbreaking my iphone, then I know a country full of Chinese people they should be going after! Comparing hacking dish with jailbreaking an iphone is apples to oranges. You are not stealing service by jailbreaking an iphone, you pay what ever you do for the min you use and the internet usage. ATT and Apple still make their money! Hacking dish you pay nothing to dish.

I am not sure that unlocking a cell phone is illegal. there are exceptions stated in the DMCA and one of them is to lawfully connect to a different wireless network. If you hack into T Mobile or some other GSM network that is a clear voilation. But to sub to T Mobile valid SIM card is a much more complicated issue.

Jailbreaking is a different story. Apple insists that is a violation of DMCA and other laws as well. Not everyone agrees with that either but you are altering the way the device operates.

1) Unlocking your iPhone is not illegal.
2) Jail breaking it is another story though.

I personally don't think that Apple will every try to do anything about the jail breaking of the phone as it does help them sell more devices.

You have the right to install your own software on it! Its like installing your own game on windows. The act of jailbreaking the device might be a violation of the licence, but who cares? You own the copy of that software, you should be free to do what ever you want with it.

You are sure going out on a limb with this. First you don't own the software. You are granted a licenses to use the software as provided. It does not give you the right to change any part of the provided software.

1) Unlocking your iPhone is not illegal.
2) Jail breaking it is another story though.

I personally don't think that Apple will every try to do anything about the jail breaking of the phone as it does help them sell more devices.

+1

Unlocking probably helsps sell more phones too. The Apple business model though is to control what you do with the phone and that means they would prefer you not do either thing.

What is illegal?

Until a certain action is tried in court and declared against the law - nothing is illegal.
It can be TOS violation - but those very terms can be illegal, too.

Heck, selling Apple clones by Psystar wasn't illegal until last week...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts