IPv6 finally goes live today

I thought IPv6 had been "live" for several years now? Is "live" referring to some changeover that took place deep within the bowels of the infrastructure?

Actually one thing I do like about IPv4 is NAT. It is a built in firewall for so many computers that are not properly configured. I wonder how fast viruses will spread now? Any zero day vulnerability could hit every computer, not just those exposed.

Yes, the "every device has a public IP address" thing just sounds like a recipe for trouble.

Pepper said:
Yes, the "every device has a public IP address" thing just sounds like a recipe for trouble.

I agree with that. The added encryption is a step in the right direction but this will be troubled for organizations that have personal and health information on their servers. It creates more trouble. I guess a firewall that guards every public IP will have to be implemented. That is being done now but at small level since organizations rely on private IP. What is going to happen to the concept of private IP. There are servers that will need this due to the nature of sensitive information they store.

Going live means it can be used for public internet traffic.

It will be a few years before the internet is predominately IPv6.

I know we're in the beginning stages of IPv6 for our complex and it will take us a year to get the project done.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Can the NAT protections be accomplished in IPv6 thru use of unique local addresses?

Can the NAT protections be accomplished in IPv6 thru use of unique local addresses?

I asked some questions over in the cisco forum of dslresports.com about NAT vs IPv6. It depends on your firewall. Cisco firewalls (which I use, even at the house) will match incoming to outgoing. Unless a rule permits an incoming connection without a first outgoing, it is blocked. Essentially acting the same as NAT would have done in IPv4.

Your ISP should essentially give your location a network prefix. The MAC addresses of your equipment essentially fill out the addresses. So, essentially every item in your network has a static hardware address. Everything in your network is essentially directly visible to the internet, your firewall has to do the appropriate blocking.

This will be very interesting when it gets used by more and more companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts