IR repeater suggestions?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
Now that I have a 622 and want to view HD in more than one room I'm going to need an IR remote repeater to operate the TV1 remote so I like to hear about any experiences, reviews and/or recommendations on brands and sources (and don't forget prices!).

And perhaps those of you that have gone this route might have a story or two about longish component or HMDI cable runs.

Any one?

I have whole house IR repeating, HD video (component not HDMI) and analog audio distribution using my Elan Home System components. It is higher end than most would spend for this. You can simply use CAT5 to carry the IR signals (12V, IR, and ground). All you need is a IR receiver and blaster at the other end. I run my component signals through Baluns via CAT5 after it leaves my video switch. It works great rather than running the component or HDMI cable long distance. I don't notice any losses in quality. I found the cheapest Baluns on Ebay for $120 per pair (you need one each end). I can watch HD programming on any of my three HD receivers on any HD tv in my house just by running a macro on my remotes. It's a great set up. You can pick up component or HDMI switchers online. I have three composite 8X8 matrices linked together to handle each component signal. I started my system running a composite matrix (before HD). I only recently added the other two. When you do build it, think of the future.

I happen to have some experience here.

I originally wired my family room with components from a company called JobSite. They offer nice components at a fair price. Their decora wallplate receiver is considerably cheaper than many other Plasma proof receivers on the market, and does a great job. Their website is:

jobsite

I think the whole system that I bought was less than $100, including the receiver, transmitter block, and one broadcast emitter that threw the IR signal to all of my devices (I have them on a shelf in my basement).

After awhile, though, I re-thought my strategy, and just bought an RF-enabled remote control from Universal Remotes. I bought the MX-900, and it is fabulous. I highly recommend this method if you can afford it. You can get the remote and the upgraded RF base station/IR emitter for around $350 at several places. More info can be attained (actually everything you'd ever want to know and more) at:

Welcome to Remote Central: Universal Remote Control Reviews & More!

I'm still looking for the name of the place where I bought mine, and I'll send you their name. Their prices are as good as anyone, and they have great customer service.

I might add that this solution, while seemingly expensive at first, is a long-term investment, not just in your HT system. A good universal remote, with RF capability, will open up many possibilities for you. Things like remote lighting, etc. Also, these things, particularly the MX-900 (or any of the high-end URC branded remotes) are amazing in their usefulness and flexibility. Macros, customized functionality, etc. I have mine controlling my TV in my family room, and all of my HT equipment (cable box, HT receiver, DVD player, HTPC) in my basement. Also my family room dimmable lights.

As far as running long distances of HDMI, I highly recommend checking out this site:

Home - FireFold

These guys are fantastic!! Exceptional prices on HDMI cables and accessories. They also know their stuff, so you can ask them technical questions. I bought a 50' HDMI cable from them for $75. That's right. 50 feet for approx. $6 more than Best Buy charges for a 6 footer. That's how much markup you get from BB and others like them on HDMI. In fact, Firefold sells a 6 foot HDMI for less than $5. And I, along with many of my friends, can vouch for the quality of their products.

Good luck with your implementation, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any follow-up questions.

jet & rd,

Thanks for the quick replies. There is a lot of substance in both posts and I'm sure a lot of folks will appreciate your insights. I certainly do.

Actually though, I have more modest needs. I just need a two room IR setup. One to send one to blast. I seem to remember back in the day a two box set with an RF link between the two was about fifty bucks.

There are almost never more than two pairs of eyes in the house but I always like to give my better half the option to watch whatever she wants in whatever room she chooses.

The only exceptions to the four eye rule are the holidays when the guest rooms are full but I only provide basic cable plus TV2 to the hoard. I'm afraid with any more entertainment options they might hang around longer. (Guests are like fish: After three days they can be unpleasant to be near.)

rd,

Thanks for the Firefold link. I had been googling low priced hmdi splitters and found precious little and more than one forum posting claiming there was no such thing as a reasonably priced 1X2 splitter.

Has anyone used one of the lower priced Firefold hmdi splitters? Was HDCP a problem?

Has anyone used one of the lower priced Firefold hmdi splitters? Was HDCP a problem?

Steve, I haven't used their splitters yet, but I will tell you that they're straight shooters. If you ask them, and they tell you that you won't have any HDCP issues, you can take that to the bank. They also offer a thirty-day, no questions asked refund.

Another thing that I've experienced with these guys is quick and responsive service. I have never ordered anything from them in the morning (mountain time) that they haven't shipped that day. I usually get a tracking number within an hour or so of my order.

I once ordered a bulk roll of speaker wire from them, and got a phone call within the hour telling me that they were out of stock. I had the rep cancel that part of my order. She called back about a half hour later to tell me that they found the item in their warehouse.

I know it seems like I'm gushing about these guys, but they are a rarity in the internet commerce world: A price friendly, reputable and responsive company.

Give them a try. They won't disappoint.

Another good site

You might also want to checkout:

Monoprice

Although they don't have quite the selection of Firefold, they are unbelievably cheap (and fast shipper).

I have used one of their HDMI splitters without any perceptable loss of quality.

Good luck.

You might also want to checkout:

Monoprice

Although they don't have quite the selection of Firefold, they are unbelievably cheap (and fast shipper).

I have used one of their HDMI splitters without any perceptable loss of quality.

Good luck.

Wow! No sources for these and now two! An embarrassment of riches.

Last edited:
steve,
It would be easier to just buy a UHF Pro remote for TV1.

Kevin,

Who knew there was such a thing! This is precisely what I need and I can add it to my bill to help spend those dish 'n it up dollars!

Thanks all.

Steve

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)