Irritating !

DFPope

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Alabama
Due to my schedule I normally watch recorded events from around midnight to 2:00am. It seems to me that it would be easy to fix the software so it doesn't try to power down while watching a DVR event or, at least, make it like the rest of the receivers where you can change the time that it wants to update. Sometimes I'll pause the recording, go to the kitchen, come back, and the Joey will be in reboot. However, I may be expecting too much.

Due to my schedule I normally watch recorded events from around midnight to 2:00am. It seems to me that it would be easy to fix the software so it doesn't try to power down while watching a DVR event or, at least, make it like the rest of the receivers where you can change the time that it wants to update. Sometimes I'll pause the recording, go to the kitchen, come back, and the Joey will be in reboot. However, I may be expecting too much.

Does need to be fixed. Very annoying but at least its quick.

rogerpl said:
Does need to be fixed. Very annoying but at least its quick.

Except when you have EHD(s) connected that have a lot of content... Then it takes 45 minutes or more!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Except when you have EHD(s) connected that have a lot of content... Then it takes 45 minutes or more!

I'm at 52 minutes ! One of these days I'm going to put my EHD on a different power strip and just switch it off when it's not in use. I've also started recording filler programs just to stop my DVR from shutting down at 1:30 when I have recordings at 2:00 am to record. I just delete these dummy recordings when I turn on the DVR.

rogerpl said:
I have an EHD- nothing happens here.

How full is it? If it barely has anything on it then it's reasonably fast on the nightly reboots. Once you fill it up it will be a different story though.

I'm at 52 minutes ! One of these days I'm going to put my EHD on a different power strip and just switch it off when it's not in use. I've also started recording filler programs just to stop my DVR from shutting down at 1:30 when I have recordings at 2:00 am to record. I just delete these dummy recordings when I turn on the DVR.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately it doesn't work if you are watching DVR on a Joey. It wants to shut down anyway.

I keep my EHD off unless I'm using it so I'm wondering what is happening to it in this time period if it is on? Mine has a off/on switch so is easy, U can also pull the plug?

My wife gets up to go to work around 3:00am ,which is the time the hopper wants to update the guide . This is when she wants to watch tv while she is getting ready for work. So to get around this I set a timer for daily on channel 101 and extend it for 30 minutes after. So every day now the hopper CAN'T turn itself off to update unless is before 3:00am or after 4:00am . So my suggestion is to set a daily timer for the time in the early morning hours you want to watch tv and make it a daily timer. Your hopper won't try to turn off during an active timer recording.

I still haven't seen Dish offer any explanation of why they need to reboot at all. A system that you need to reboot to keep running is fundamentally flawed. Rebooting is for upgrading the kernel, and maybe device drivers. There should be no other reason at all. So whatever it's doing, they must have some really lazy software engineers. I can't believe anyone can defend Dish on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)