Is 922 worth the investment?

It actually works fairly well on a 3G Verizon card (I'm often working remotely on Sunday mornings and this is the only way to catch NFL games). A stable wifi connection (from a hotel you happen to be staying at) tends to be preferable. But I wouldn't knock the quality on a 3G card.

DARN YOU!

Now that ViP922 is appearing to have a lot more utility to me than I thought.

I guess I'm going to have to do a speedtest out in my RV with an AT&T 3G dongle, and see if it will reasonably support HD. If so- I'm doomed. I know I'll get the got-to-have-its. Have you done a speedtest on your Verizon dongle, and if so - what were the results? Watching SD or HD?

Thankfully, I'm sure Dish won't let me Dish it up for a few more months, during which they might fix a few more shortcomings. But if I can tap into my home DVR with a laptop, connected to the HDTV in the RV, even my wife will go for it!

;)

I really think that they should of allowed a third option on this sling dvr. It should of been tv 1 out and tv 2 out for home distribution and a third out for sling media. So you would of been able to have tv 2 for any sd tvs and tv 1 for your main hd tv and tv 3 to sling to computer, cell phone, and another hd tv in your home. Tv 3 would of been independent of either tv 1 or tv 2. Then it would of been great.

I really think that they should of allowed a third option on this sling dvr. It should of been tv 1 out and tv 2 out for home distribution and a third out for sling media. So you would of been able to have tv 2 for any sd tvs and tv 1 for your main hd tv and tv 3 to sling to computer, cell phone, and another hd tv in your home. Tv 3 would of been independent of either tv 1 or tv 2. Then it would of been great.

That would be a great idea and I am sure they will do it as soon you tell them which of the TWO tuners will allow for independent viewing of live TV on TV3 while TV's 1 & 2 are inuse.

Yes. Do you think that makes too much sense for Dish? Give us the options, Dish. This is just one reason I am waiting before getting a 922. I really want one, but TV2 issue and no EHD (for now) are among the biggies right now. I hope we see a more feature rich 922 in about 6 months or so.

DARN YOU!

Now that ViP922 is appearing to have a lot more utility to me than I thought.

I guess I'm going to have to do a speedtest out in my RV with an AT&T 3G dongle, and see if it will reasonably support HD. If so- I'm doomed. I know I'll get the got-to-have-its. Have you done a speedtest on your Verizon dongle, and if so - what were the results? Watching SD or HD?

Thankfully, I'm sure Dish won't let me Dish it up for a few more months, during which they might fix a few more shortcomings. But if I can tap into my home DVR with a laptop, connected to the HDTV in the RV, even my wife will go for it!

;)

Speed varies depending on the signal at a given location. I don't tend to measure speed unless it's running particularly slow at a given location.

In general, the only time I watched in HD was over my home network (my upstream speed was too limited by the DSL service for a stable HD stream). But, the picture quality has been excellent, despite being SD. I'm in the process of switching to a faster connection and will update you on HD performance over 3G. Your best bet might be to test out HD performance before getting a 922. Try to get remote viewing permission from someone with HD and a slingbox (and the bandwidth to support the stream) and see how it works. If it meets your standards, then that'll be a plus for the 922, otherwise it'll be a mark against it.

Are you talking about buying a standalone SlingBox on my own to pair with a 722? Is the new GUI based on a Slingbox GUI? Pardon my question, I have zero experience with a Slingbox, I'm not sure how it works at all.

I agree with waiting if I were a current customer. But I am looking at moving back to E* and don't want to make the wrong choice by taking the current model to save a few dollars and having to wait and re-evaluate in 2 years (kicking myself all the while).

Again though, I'm not really looking at the 922 for the Slingbox. I don't really see myself getting much use out of it (of course I probably said the same to DVR's). I just want to get the most current, but cost effective technology.

Yeah, you can buy a sling box for about the same price of the upgrade charge for a 922. The difference is that you own it, no monthly charges, and you can use it with any provider if you leave dish in the future.

922-awesome! But if money is an issue-Hold off

My 2 years is up with D* and I am considering returning to E*. I'm looking for opinions and reasons why the 922 investment and additional fee may or may not be worth it.

The Sling portion is cool enough, but I'm not really certain I would get any use out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I will echo an earlier post. I probably will not use the sling feature that much if at all.

The unit, to me, is sleeker and more updated than the previous generation VIP units.

Guide is the best Ive seen to date. Skip forward and fast forward seem even faster than my 722. Its probably the same though.

In other regards its missing some esential features I miss. Being able to add another tv to the unit. Like the 622\722.

Also I miss HD only...I never watch standard anymore. So, having to scroll through the guide it is a waste of time. Yes, i know there are favorites I could set up..But I sure do like the HD only selection.

Hopefully Dish will fix this.

But Im one of those nuts who like to have the latest greatest toys..This is one of them.

If money is an issue, hold off..My 722 is spectacular..Its still better than anything else out there!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

I've decided to go ahead and give the 922 a shot. Install is scheduled for Thursday. Thanks again-

There was an HD ONLY selection in the beta and t worked great... and then the release version came out and it was changes to HD & SD only... (HUH?!)

I want the HD ONLY back myself. :)

My 2 years is up with D* and I am considering returning to E*. I'm looking for opinions and reasons why the 922 investment and additional fee may or may not be worth it.

The Sling portion is cool enough, but I'm not really certain I would get any use out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts.
If your home High speed internet connection has an upload speed of less than 1.5mbps, don't bother. The 922's usefulness is predicated on the sling technology. Sling works best with a very fast upload speed.

**Note** if the 1.5 mbps figure is incorrect, please inform, Thanks!

Thanks, I have cable and my upload speed is 5M or better. So, I don't think I'll have any issues there.

I'm really looking forward to using this box, but a little nervous that the "bugs" will PO my wife. I'll just make sure everything is recorded in the bedroom too until things get worked out.

Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)