Is a coaxial cable a coaxial cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I just went to Walmart looking for a coaxial cable to hook up my OTA antenna outside. They only carry Philips brand and they had one that was labeled "video" and the other one was labeled "digital". The digital one stated that it was quad shielded. Is it worth the extra money for the digital one? Will it make a big difference? I am using it to receive OTA HD signals. The digital is about twice the price of the video one. Thanks.

It all depends on the length of the cable run. Quad shielded is better for long runs, it has less cable loss. How long is your cable run?

You could buy Quad Shielded at Home Depot for under $.40/ft.

I've never heard coax cable being labelled as video or digital, however quad shield is familuar. For OTA antenna I would recommend RG6. If it rated for 2GHz that even better (although that's overkill because UHF is below 900Mhz range). Most digital channels are sent in the UHF range so it would be desirable to have low loss in that range. Quad shield isn't important unless you're in a area where there allot of electrical interference and even then your antenna will pick up EMF more than the coax. Also if the cable is going to be buried underground then you need a special rated cable to reject water and minerals. Go with the expensive cable if the cable is running over 100 feet else save your money.

I believe it will be at least 50 ft long maybe 100ft and depending on where I put it I was going to bury it underground. Is there a sepcific brand if installing underground?

Did some web searches on coax. Digital coax is rated for satellite meaning it sweep tested for 2-3Ghz, while video is just normal TV frequencies typically under 1.5Ghz. There are some dual and quad shielded cables that can be buried but professionals recommend running it through conduit anyway because most cables don't pass the commerial crush test. Don't know if that important in your case. The video quad would probably meet your standards.

I bought some tri-shield rated 60% braid from a vendor on ebay. I paid .047 per foot for a 1000 foot spool delivered to my door. So if you need 100 feet at Home depot for .40 per foot, you are just $7 off of the other 900 feet. I put in several 150 foot runs, and the signal is great. I also bought my compression F connectors for $.21 each. Forget Home Depot, be very careful to read the auctions and take the shipping into consideration. The prices I quoted, all included the shipping.

In short runs, 100 feet or less, you can use a low grade cable. In less than 100 feet, you can sometimes use good quality RG59. If you get it free, try it before you go spend your money on anything else.
Also think about going in with a friend or two when you buy the large quantity that you will get on some of the ebay auctions. It would be better to pay $11.75 for your 250 feet share of RG6 when you buy the spool between three others.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into Ebay. How hard was it to put the connectors on? It appears to be easy but don't know how to. I will have to search the web and see what I can find.

The compression fittings that the cable/sat installers have kick butt, speaking of which, someone here please suggest the kit to put those things on (and which are the best kind!) -- they look like a piece of cake to put on vs the JUNK walmart sells.

You can get this compression tool kit for about $46.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPRESSION-TOOL-COAXIAL-STRIPPER-50-EX6XL-FITTINGS_W0QQitemZ5810985598QQcategoryZ11726QQcmdZViewItem

It includes 50 compression fittings, stripper and compression tool. I have this compression tool and it's really nice. You can use it with Snap n Seal, Digicon, and PPC EX6XL fittings.

Regarding buying at Home Depot, that was just an example. It's better than buying at Walmart. Some people only need 100 ft of cable and the shipping can get expensive. If you buy bulk, then yes it's cheaper buying it at eBay.

So cable at Home Depot can be acceptable? They want $20 for 100' of quad guarded cable at Wally World. I never thought of HD until someone mentioned it.

RandallA said:
You can get this compression tool kit for about $46.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPRESSION-TOOL-COAXIAL-STRIPPER-50-EX6XL-FITTINGS_W0QQitemZ5810985598QQcategoryZ11726QQcmdZViewItem

It includes 50 compression fittings, stripper and compression tool. I have this compression tool and it's really nice. You can use it with Snap n Seal, Digicon, and PPC EX6XL fittings.

Regarding buying at Home Depot, that was just an example. It's better than buying at Walmart. Some people only need 100 ft of cable and the shipping can get expensive. If you buy bulk, then yes it's cheaper buying it at eBay.

I've tried that tool, and (depending on the fittings) I personally find that it is horrible. It has no leverage, when the fitting requires any kind of force to compress. You'll bruise your hands into oblivion after 10 fittings (again, some fittings don't require much force to compress... it depends). This one has greater leverage:

http://cableorganizer.com/images/home-theater-cables/HTT4040-redhandle.jpg

I found that the company that makes the tools that Home Depot is selling is Ideal. Ideal makes all kinds of telecom tools. I went to the internet and found a company that sold me a kit. The kit contained the RG6 stripper, which pulls the outer jacket off, exposing the center conductor on the first step, and the rubber, or plastic jacket on the next. The cable can be perfectly ready for the connector in 15 seconds or less. There is a cable wire cutter in the kit. This is important because the jaws are curved. A regular cutter with flat jaws will flatten the cable when it is cut. The flattened end of cable is hard to work with, and will just fustrate you.
The next tool was the compression tool. It is perfect with all that I've used on it so far. I bought PPC and Digicon Quad, and they are very nice. They work with many types of cable because of their design. You can search for PPC EX 6 XL to get the specifications on this connector. I also have some Digicon connectors with an integral O-ring in the threaded end. The PPC company will tell you that they don't make any like that because it is a bad idea. I have had lots of rain and no trouble yet.
Lots of these tools are knock-offs of each other. There are some cheap ones that look like the Ideal tool.
Ideal makes a kit, they put these three tools in an Ideal blue tool bag. They include a set second set of RG6U blades for the stripper (they come with RG6 blades installed), and a jar of 50 PPC connectors to get you started. These are not cheap tools, the bag cost $133 with free shipping from http://www.wisecomponents.com
I don't think that $133 was a bargain, but I got it all at once and I have a place to keep them all together.

The main thing about how hard it is to work with RG6 and compression connectors is true with everything I do. If you have the correct tools, and good tools, the job is very easy. The difficulty of a job should never be about how hard the connectors are to put on. Focus on how you are hooking it all together, the system ground, the location, if you are installing a motorized FTA system, how plumb your pipe is going to be when the cement hardens. There are so many other things to concentrate on besides how to work with the cable. Good luck. JM

"I've tried that tool, and (depending on the fittings) I personally find that it is horrible."

Wow, really. What fittings were you using? So I don't buy them. Never had any problems with SnS and PPC EX6XL. SnS are a "snap" to compress them.

To the original poster, here is a link on how to install compression connectors:
http://www.hometech.com/learn/coaxterm.html

You definitely want compression connectors not the crimp style.

I use a Stirling tool and usually Gilbert compression fittings.

The tool seems to be able to handle most brands, and of course has a ratchet lock so you can not half-press the fitting.

A 2-blade coax stripper is absolutely essential. Just remember that it does have to be set for the type of cable you're using, so expect to ruin a (very) few inches of cable getting it 'tuned'.

The curved-blade cutter is also important for the reasons mentioned.

I (or any good installer) can terminate an end in less than 15 seconds, and the end is NOT going to pull off.

Ask SpringsGuy about the pre-wire job they did on his house. I'm glad I went back the next day and re-terminated the bad ends (even though they were working). He took GOOD care of me. :) I would've done it the first time, but I was out of quad-shield connectors - I don't use them much.

I have used the Zenith tool (purchased at Lowes, $12) and the Ideal connectors (purchased at HD, $4 or so for 4 or $28 for 50) with no problem, would suggest that this is OK for the DYIer. You do have to squeeze (relatively) hard. If you're doing these all day long a professional level tool is probably justified.

"If you're doing these all day long a professional level tool is probably justified."

Ditto. If you are doing this for a living forget about that Zenith tool. It's mostly for the DYIer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)