How do you receive your locals and are they analog or digital?

jergenf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Read carefully before choosing the best fit.
How do you receive your locals OTA, DN or cable and are they analog or digital?

1. Just get DN locals and NOT by an OTA antenna or cable.
2. Use DN NON-HD receiver to get analog only locals using my OTA antenna.
3. Use DN HD receiver to get digital/analog locals using my OTA antenna.
4. Get analog locals only from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment.
5. Get digital(HD)/analog locals from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment.
6. Get SD locals from cable TV instead.
7. Get HD locals from cable TV instead.
8. Not getting any locals at all right now.

Rules:
Pick 1: If you subscribe to DN locals and do not use a TV antenna or from cable.
Pick 2: If you use at least one DN NON-HD receiver for analog only locals by OTA
antenna.
Pick 3: If you use at least one DN HD receiver for digital/analog locals by OTA
antenna.
Pick 4: If you are getting analog stations without any DN or cable equipment.
Pick 5: If you are getting digital(SD/HD)/analog stations without any DN or cable equipment.
Pick 6: If you get SD locals from CABLE rather than OTA or DN.
Pick 7: If you get HD (also includes SD) locals from CABLE rather than OTA or DN.
Pick 8: If you do NOT receive locals by any means.

Glossary:
DN = Dishnetwork
DN locals = Locals for your DMA or distant local purchased thru DN
OTA antenna = Off the Air (VHF/UHF) (indoor/outdoor) antenna
digital locals = OTA local using a digital ATSC/NTSC tuner (SD and HD)
analog only locals = OTA local using a normal NTSC tuner (SD only)

well, technically none are there for me

I can pick up Minneapolis stations using an OTA antenna...HOWEVER...I get Duluth locals through Dish :)

No vote for me since I don't exactly fit into any one category. However, let me just say that I receive digital locals with two OTA antennas and only subscribe to the locals package for PG data. I have no desire to view analog locals in any form or fashion. The 942 doesn't support analog OTA reception and, quite frankly, I wouldn't subscribe to the locals package if it weren't for the PG...especially recording to the 942. Because of DN's desire not to fully support PSIP, I often bypass DN receivers and use another ATSC tuner since I receive OTA programming from 4 DMA.

Get Atlanta Locals through Dish (along with several DNS for everyone but NBC-damn WXIA), and get Digital Harrisburg & Baltimore OTA, so I selected #3.

None of the choices were exact for me either. I get analog locals from Dish plus CBS HD. I don't have an OTA antenna (Been stalling since HD LIL is due soon)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, AzGuardGuy. :)

None of these options fits me either. I started out with E* locals on non-HD receiver, then added an antenna for analog locals, then got digital locals through a non-E* HD receiver, then got the 921. So I've got all sources available to me for my own locals, through all types of receivers (522=E* non-HD, 921=E* HD, Accurian=non-E* HD, and a VCR=non-E* non-HD). :)

riffjim4069 said:
No vote for me since I don't exactly fit into any one category. However, let me just say that I receive digital locals with two OTA antennas and only subscribe to the locals package for PG data. I have no desire to view analog locals in any form or fashion. The 942 doesn't support analog OTA reception and, quite frankly, I wouldn't subscribe to the locals package if it weren't for the PG...especially recording to the 942. Because of DN's desire not to fully support PSIP, I often bypass DN receivers and use another ATSC tuner since I receive OTA programming from 4 DMA.
You would be choice #3 because you are using your 942 to get digital channels. Subscribing to DN locals doesn't matter because you're just doing it for guide and you don't or rarely view the LiL channels just mainly your OTA digitals.

PS: If the 942 is anything like 921 then it also gets analog stations (however you can't record them). You may have to change an option in the "View Pref" menu. At least that true with the 921. You want analog for those channels that are not yet digital.

BobMurdoch said:
None of the choices were exact for me either. I get analog locals from Dish plus CBS HD. I don't have an OTA antenna (Been stalling since HD LIL is due soon)
You would be choice #1. CBS-HD is considered DN LiL even though it's HD. By digital stations I meant OTA digital stations that transmit 8VSB even if the channels doesn't show HD programming.

PS: I don't know how soon it will be before local HD from DN are common. If you live among the largest US cities then hopefully sooner.

I get most locals through my SD DISH receiver but also have my OTA antenna connected to get locals that DISH doesn't broadcast. Also so I can watch local live TV while my DVR receiver is busy recording other stuff.

TuxCoder said:
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, AzGuardGuy. :)

None of these options fits me either. I started out with E* locals on non-HD receiver, then added an antenna for analog locals, then got digital locals through a non-E* HD receiver, then got the 921. So I've got all sources available to me for my own locals, through all types of receivers (522=E* non-HD, 921=E* HD, Accurian=non-E* HD, and a VCR=non-E* non-HD). :)
I would say choice #3. See description:
Pick 3: If you use at least one DN HD receiver for digital/analog locals by OTA antenna.

maximum said:
I get most locals through my SD DISH receiver but also have my OTA antenna connected to get locals that DISH doesn't broadcast. Also so I can watch local live TV while my DVR receiver is busy recording other stuff.
This one is a bit tricky because choice #1 or #2 could apply. I guess you should pick the one that you most use when viewing locals. My gut feeling probably choice #2 because you have a DN receiver and an OTA antenna. Also you probably could get all your analog locals via antenna if you wanted to.

1. Just get DN locals and NOT by an OTA antenna or cable.
2. Use DN NON-HD receiver to get analog only locals using my OTA antenna.

AzGuardGuy said:
Get my locals via OTA and an old Voom receiver...but also subscribe to DN locals for the other rooms in the house.
I would say choice #5 would be best. The Voom receiver is allowing you to get digital stations and you have an antenna. Although you subscribe to DN locals you probably could route your antenna to those locations if you desired.

5. Get digital(HD)/analog locals from my OTA antenna BUT without DN equipment.

Iceberg said:
well, technically none are there for me

I can pick up Minneapolis stations using an OTA antenna...HOWEVER...I get Duluth locals through Dish :)
Which city is closer (or which do you consider you main DMA)?
Can you pickup digital stations or only analog?
Since you have an antenna do you have subscribe through DN for Duluth (assuming that's your source for main locals) because some people are subscribing just for guide or record capability?
Are you using DN equipment (either HD or NON-HD receiver) for OTA reception (not DN LiL)?

Just a reminder to everyone voting on this poll read the rules and glossary in post#1 of this thread.

There are some that use multiple methods for receiving OTA but are being asked to choose just one. The following may make your choices easier.

Note: An antenna implies you're able to get something. If you can't receive anything with it then you're are really antenna-less.

First, do you have a OTA antenna or is your only means of getting locals is by subscribing to DN or cable. Example if you don't have a TV antenna then choice #1, #6, #7 or #8 would most likely fit. If you do have a TV antenna then #2, #3, #4 or #5 would most likely apply.

Second are you getting digital OTA stations if so that supercedes any of the "analog only" choices. Example, if you have the capability to get digital OTA stations (even if none are broardcasting yet) then if you have an antenna choice #3 or #5 would be likely fit else #7 for HD locals thru cable.
Note: if you can get digital stations it's assumed that you can also pickup analog. (I've never heard of a ATSC tuner that didn't include a NTSC tuner or anyone that didn't even own a device that picks up analog TV. {and if I'm wrong make that a separate thread})
If you are unable to get digital but are able to get analog then choice #2 or #4 would most likely fit. Or #6 if you're using cable or #1 if you only have DN.
Note: Locals thru DN even CBS-HD are not considered digital OTA.

Third, do you have DN equipment that capable of receiving either digital or analog OTA. If any of your DN receivers are able to tune in OTA then #2 or #3 would be best fit. (assumimg you have an antenna connected of course)

Which city is closer (or which do you consider you main DMA)?
Minneapolis is my DMA but I moved to get Duluth locals. I pick up Minneapolis with an antenna
Can you pickup digital stations or only analog?
Analog..no HD
Since you have an antenna do you have subscribe through DN for Duluth (assuming that's your source for main locals) because some people are subscribing just for guide or record capability?
Nope. I subscribe to them for the college hockey :D
Are you using DN equipment (either HD or NON-HD receiver) for OTA reception (not DN LiL)?
Nope

Easy way to describe it…I moved to get Duluth locals (for UMD hockey). They are going to a 301. Minneapolis I can pick up OTA and that goes into the VCR’s (and distributed throughout the house)

Iceberg said:
so I chose 1 & 4 :)
Choice #4 would be best because you have an antenna but not using DN equipment for receiving it. The fact that you subscribe to DN LiL is for the extra channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts