How do you receive your locals and are they analog or digital?

i take it that DN--Dish Network. I thought fora minute you meant Distant nets.

Update: Making a Correction to an earlier post: For choice #2 the only DN SD receiver to have a analog only OTA tuner is the model 5000 all other SD units have OTA passthru only.

The 5000 allowed OTA channel to be mapped to the EPG in the same way as the 921 does. However it did not have actual guide data except for ABC, CBS and NBC during primetime hours only. The network id was setup manually when you entered the call letters. The 921 also has this feature (for analog stations) but doesn't receive primetime guide data.

Although the 5000 has analog only tuner it did have HD capability using an optional ($250) HD RF modulator which allowed satellite HD channels to be converted to 8VSB that could be displayed to a HDTV containing a digital tuner or thru a STB with digital OTA tuner. I believe it also allowed digital OTA passthru to occur as 8VSB on channel 3 as well. This modulator is now obsolete (at least for HD satellite channels) because DN now uses 8PSK instead of 8VSB.

Originally Posted by TuxCoder said:
But I think you meant to say there are no E* non-HD receivers with built-in OTA tuners, and I agree (AFAIK also...).

The 5000 is the only one that has an OTA tuner for analog only built in. I have a 5000 and use to use that for the locals Dish did not carry (still use it for a TV in the bedroom that the tuner is shot except for 3)

All other non HD receivers have a pass through. the unit has to be off and there is no guide info.

so technically option 2 would be for those 5000 users :)

i get my locals thropugh a wineguard square shooter antenna on my balcony. stations are 55 miles away and they come in fine. i get all the hd programming including 3 pbs stations.

It's seems that most everybody either uses an OTA antenna or subscribes to DN LiL in order to get their locals.

I chose Option #3, but I actually have 3 options:

1) Use my DN 811 & 6000 receivers to receive OTA analog/digital.
2) Use my Voom receiver to receive OTA digital only.
3) Use my Panny E85 to receiver OTA analog only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)