Is a settlement with Tivo in the works?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This would be great news for Dish and for Tivo, Dish good finially put this behind them and get on with whats important, which is making their Dvr's better and making their DishHD better for all! :)

This would be great news for Dish and for Tivo, Dish good finially put this behind them and get on with whats important, which is making their Dvr's better and making their DishHD better for all! :)
It would be even better if E* would license TiVo software so the DVR works correctly.:)

I wouldn't mind the Tivo's advanced search features and it would be much easier for all if they used the Season passes for show timers rather than from the guide. I woudn't want to see the slow to load Guide with Tivo or the dancing little man complete with the video game noises when you hit the buttons.

I wouldn't mind the Tivo's advanced search features and it would be much easier for all if they used the Season passes for show timers rather than from the guide. I woudn't want to see the slow to load Guide with Tivo or the dancing little man complete with the video game noises when you hit the buttons.
I don't feel the Dish 942 and ViP622 need any Tivo features...they are fine the way they are. And the Gemstar TVGuide is excellent. Ok, the only feature I want is the ability to queue multiple recordings for playback since it would greatly help archive recordings to DVD.

Seriously, this is horrible news...if Tivo and EchoStar and going to settle then you can rest assured they will merge patents and have their staff of lawyers go after anyone making anything that records video to a hard drive, to include your Home Media Center PC. I do NOT see this as being good news...not at all.

ONE SENTENCE? We are getting worked up over one sentence in that article? If they ever have any meat to publish, let me know. Sure, "...TiVo and EchoStar could be close to a settlement." And so could North Korea and the world. Or not.

ONE SENTENCE? We are getting worked up over one sentence in that article? If they ever have any meat to publish, let me know. Sure, "...TiVo and EchoStar could be close to a settlement." And so could North Korea and the world. Or not.

I agree. Guess we need a lawyer dictionary to see how "disposition of final post judgement motion in district court," translates into "settlement".

Also, if there was a settlement, we'd probably not see any change at the user level. E* would likely license Tivo's "Time Warp" technology. Not the GUI or OS.

(unless the settlement forces a TiVo logo on the screen).

I guess I am not the only one who doesn't want to see TIVO software on my VIP622. I have seen TIVO in action at a friends house, and it was slow and clunky, along with the cheesy graphics and sounds.

I like my 622 software! Sure there are things I would like to see improved, but I don't think that TIVO has many of them either. I would hate for us to simply move over to TIVO software. I would prefer that they simply license the tech and then add some of the features many of you rave about.

No, you're not alone. Many of us intensely dislike the Tivo s/w.

Maybe E* should buy Tivo and fire all of them, especially the lawyers.

I'd really like to be able to set a recording via the internet, like Tivo allows. Other than that, I could care less about the Tivo software.

I like my 622 DVR for the most part....... new features are always a great addition though!

The key is 14 days, both sides must have asked for the two week delay together to work out a motion. If both sides are working on a motion together, it probably means they are in agreement about something...

I guess I am not the only one who doesn't want to see TIVO software on my VIP622. I have seen TIVO in action at a friends house, and it was slow and clunky, along with the cheesy graphics and sounds.

I like my 622 software! Sure there are things I would like to see improved, but I don't think that TIVO has many of them either. I would hate for us to simply move over to TIVO software. I would prefer that they simply license the tech and then add some of the features many of you rave about.

The best thing about it is the ability to restore deleted shows.

It would be even better if E* would license TiVo software so the DVR works correctly.:)

Actually not all of us like or want the Tivo software. But it certainly would be nice if they were allowed to pick some of the features in Tivo and add them without having to worry about violating Tivo's patent.

boba has a hard time saying anything nice or even useful about Dish. Many call it "thread crapping". Don't worry about his comment(s) most of the time...

No, you're not alone. Many of us intensely dislike the Tivo s/w.

Maybe E* should buy Tivo and fire all of them, especially the lawyers.

If E* bought Tivo, I would expect them to hire even more lawyers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)