Is a settlement with Tivo in the works?

Gee- I wonder what ever happened to that whole house DVR Voom was about to release?

And anybody know if Voom paid the penalty for cancellation of those 5 satellites they had on order? Or did somebody pick them up?

Yeah, I know, getting off topic- start a new thread.

Tivo can't really afford to wait for the endless court delays that Dish has been successful at getting. And there is that looming day in court when Tivo will be the defendant against Echostar. I suspect that if there is a settlement, while it will be good for both, it will probably be a tacit victory for Echostar. But we shall see.

Last edited:
Hmmm- that might be an idea. At one time, E* might have viewed that as unwelcome, as their old DVRs might not have competed well. Today, some folks would just go with Tivo because of the name- many others, perhaps most, would stick with the ViP622 (for example) since it does many things so much better and faster.

Of course, there really is no future for charging an extra monthly fee for EPG data. I wonder if that idea appeals to Dish? :rolleyes:

Before this lawsuit hit the forefront recently, I read that analysts expected Tivo to move to selling/licensing their software and getting out of the h/w business. Might still happen- if they survive.

Before this lawsuit hit the forefront recently, I read that analysts expected Tivo to move to selling/licensing their software and getting out of the h/w business. Might still happen- if they survive.
Many still consider TiVo to not last very long. Some see this lawsuit as nothing more than a way to either license their software/technology to Dish for a nice $$$ payout or have Dish buy them up outright.

DirecTV dropped them for DVRs though they still have a cordial relationship. TiVo knew that day was coming though and certainly had to do with their pushes into the cable DVR market.

I've only seen TiVo at a neighbors, but never used it. It may be great software and have features or functions that others don't, but people have moved away from it to D*'s DVR software or Dish's or cable provider's and do just fine.

Gee- I wonder what ever happened to that whole house DVR Voom was about to release?

And anybody know if Voom paid the penalty for cancellation of those 5 satellites they had on order? Or did somebody pick them up?

Yeah, I know, getting off topic- start a new thread.
The VOOM HD DVR went to Star Choice, and the whole home networking technology went to FiOS TV (Motorola).

It is my understanding that Cablevision had a contingency clause and paid an undisclosed amount to terminate the contract.

I recently discovered that a major defense contractor I work with builds a duplicate satellite with every order. Because each bird is unique, the duplicate is destroyed upon successful launch, orbit, and acceptance of the primary satellite. I don't know how this relates to D* and E*, but I found it to be very interesting tidbit.

if tivo wins an E* is forced to shut dvr functions down could ??

would we be able to terminate contract without paying early termination fees you think???

I believe the TOS says they can remove DVR functionality so technically you'd still have to pay early termination fees. Though I'm sure if it came down to that they'd waive the fees...

HOWEVER it'll never happen E* will not allow their DVR service to be shutdown the worse case scenario is they pay TIVO the fines and a portion of the DVR fee we all pay. If E* were to lose DVR service they'd probably go out of business the next day!

Personally I'm sad if it came down to E* having to pay TIVO license fees... TIVO did not *invent* the DVR, they merely improved on it and helped to make it a household name! I'd hate to see TIVO win in this manner and force all companies pay them a fee... goodbye innovation hello monopoly!

Tivo has gotten money from D*. There are groups that "invest" in lawsuits that may fund them- look at the Blackberry and SCO Unix suits.

Tivo's business plan may have moved from monthly fees to lawsuits, but in the long run their only asset is their software. Others can (& I submit, do) produce better software to perform similar functions. Maybe someone could take the Tivo software and make it faster, less annoying and appealing to other DVR makers. But why license good software when most of your (cableco) customers are happy with minimally functional DVRs? Will that last?

In the bigger picture, the best fix is for the Patents Office to stop issuing patents on things that are simply too basic. Not every good idea should be considered patentable.

Enjoying its best month in three years, the Nasdaq rose 4.8% in October, though it was a mixed bag for the stocks of new-media companies.

Among those leading to the downside were shares of TiVo Inc., down 15.8% for the month, and XM Satellite Radio, down 9.6%.

TiVo stock has been sliding for seven weeks, since one judge stayed another's injunction order against EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish satellite TV network, ordering it to disable more than 3 million DVRs that a court has said infringe TiVo's patents.

The stay could have the effect of delaying for 18 months or more any benefit to TiVo for its hard-fought court victory this year over EchoStar.

"TiVo argued to the federal court that if the injunction didn't go into effect immediately it would not survive as a company. And it didn't get the immediate injunction," said Harold McElhinny, EchoStar's lead trial counsel.

Tivo has gotten money from D*. There are groups that "invest" in lawsuits that may fund them- look at the Blackberry and SCO Unix suits.

Tivo's business plan may have moved from monthly fees to lawsuits, but in the long run their only asset is their software. Others can (& I submit, do) produce better software to perform similar functions. Maybe someone could take the Tivo software and make it faster, less annoying and appealing to other DVR makers. But why license good software when most of your (cableco) customers are happy with minimally functional DVRs? Will that last?

In the bigger picture, the best fix is for the Patents Office to stop issuing patents on things that are simply too basic. Not every good idea should be considered patentable.

If you improved on the Tivo software and did increase its speed and response code could you then sue Tivo? I mean turnabout is fair play right?

Not really... TiVo's patents really have nothing to do with speed of operation.

I think E* should purchase 50% of TiVo... (not enough for outright controling intrest... but enough to have a major stake...) and then pay the fine, be very public about it... and sell... bet they would 3* there money.

Of course another plausable thought would be the two joining forces to fight this upcomming battle from forgnet.... gee sounds like more time warp type stuff. See the link as I do not feel like violating any copy right laws. Look towards the bottom of the artical.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061102/forgent_patent_settlement.html?.v=2

Last edited:
No, you're not alone. Many of us intensely dislike the Tivo s/w.

Maybe E* should buy Tivo and fire all of them, especially the lawyers.

E* should dump all THEIR lawyers first! They don't seem to have done much right lately (DNS etc.). :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)