Is ABC HD Available? Bowl games this week!

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
Is there anyway possible to get ABC HD from a dish satellite? I currently have the HD pack with the 5 or 6 HD channels with an 811 and I think I have the Dish 500. Is there anyway to get these Bowl Games in HD? I do not live close enough to get them via OTA. I am an east coast subscriber and receive Washington, DC locals. Thanks in advance!

asmcbride said:
Is there anyway possible to get ABC HD from a dish satellite? I currently have the HD pack with the 5 or 6 HD channels with an 811 and I think I have the Dish 500. Is there anyway to get these Bowl Games in HD? I do not live close enough to get them via OTA. I am an east coast subscriber and receive Washington, DC locals. Thanks in advance!

Short answer: NO.

Two things working against you: 1) ABC HD not yet available at all; 2) Since you do not get distant networks now, you will not be able to get the ABC HD national feeds when they first show up--maybe as early as this week.

You will need to wait for your Washington, DC DMA to get its HD locals-in-local. And I do not think that schedule has been announced.

Sorry, but will not help for present bowl games.

rdinkel said:
Short answer: NO.
Two things working against you: 1) ABC HD not yet available at all; 2) Since you do not get distant networks now, you will not be able to get the ABC HD national feeds when they first show up--maybe as early as this week.
You will need to wait for your Washington, DC DMA to get its HD locals-in-local. And I do not think that schedule has been announced.
Sorry, but will not help for present bowl games.

IF dish sticks to their plans, Washington DC locals could come out in HD in Feb. But that is a HUGE if

asmcbride said:
what do you mean by 'not getting distant networks now'?

Some of us live in "unserved" rural areas where you cannot receive an over-the-air signal. Because of that we were permitted to receive distant network signals via satellite. (In my case, I get ABC, NBC, and CBS from both coasts.) If we were receiving those distant networks on 8 Dec 2004 (when the most recent law was updated), then we can continue to receive them now. And once those distant network signals go HD, we should be able to watch those, also.

It gets very complicated and also involves needing "waivers" from your local stations if you now try to get those distant feeds.

Distant Networks

I do receive 'distant network' locals because of where I live. I actually live in West Virginia (just on the WV/VA state line) and am approximately 1.5 hours from DC. I receive the DC locals but live quite a ways from DC. I don't think I am within range of receiving locals via OTA. The reason I am asking is that it seems like it would be nice if I could also receive locals from say, Charleston, WV (the state capital), that way I could also get some state related news, rather than just all DC and VA related.

Isn't there a site that could tell me if I am within range of getting OTA locals and, if so, what type of signal strength I would be getting and what type of antenna I would need?

asmcbride said:
I do receive 'distant network' locals because of where I live. I actually live in West Virginia (just on the WV/VA state line) and am approximately 1.5 hours from DC. I receive the DC locals but live quite a ways from DC. I don't think I am within range of receiving locals via OTA. The reason I am asking is that it seems like it would be nice if I could also receive locals from say, Charleston, WV (the state capital), that way I could also get some state related news, rather than just all DC and VA related.
Isn't there a site that could tell me if I am within range of getting OTA locals and, if so, what type of signal strength I would be getting and what type of antenna I would need?

I suspect you are in the DC DMA and are not receiving distant networks. However, you can see what you can pick up OTA at either of the two sites below.

Go to:

www.antennaweb.org

or

www.titantv.com

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)