is anyone happy with dish 811?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
After 2 811's, terrible picture with DVI out, and the listed quirks, I went out and tried a JVC 811 from Sears, must have got lucky, it still has some bugs, as listed but DVI work superb now, no, picture is fantastic, and SD stations are as good as the cable it replaced, when they get the bugs out, we should have a pretty good box, especially for the price.

SCI-FI in HD, and a real ESPN HD, probably ESPN's fault. Would help.

CSI, ER, DISCHD, HDNET & HDMOVIE NET LOOK GREAT.

My issues are with E* more than the 811. I wish they would upgrade their local package to HD instead of only offering CBS.

Another nice addition would've been a set of component inputs on the back of the 811.

I paid nothing for my 811 and it is worth nothing. The SD is so dark it is virtually unwatchable especially after watching a bright D* picture for so many years. I am tired of constantly having to do resets. My cable company does a much better job with the locals.

E* advanced tech told me there would be an image software fix within the month, but I doubt I will be be happy watching my TV until my one year sentence ....ehhr commitment... with DISH is over.

DirtyMack said:
My issues are with E* more than the 811. I wish they would upgrade their local package to HD instead of only offering CBS.

Another nice addition would've been a set of component inputs on the back of the 811.

There are a lot of political issues with this idea because of the fact that Dish's architecture is such that it is hard to insert local version of the networks streams.

It would be nice to have a Satellite version of HD locals that everyone could tap into, but I don't see this happening because of political reasons. Cable does have the advantage with their distribution model here.

I love my 811 ... component video, DVI, optical audio, OTA receiver? What more could someone ask for? I havent had problems with dark images, popping sounds, etc. on my Hiatchi 51G500. I have used both component and DVI with this, both look great.

I do wish for the following features:

- 4:3 expanded mode, so im not forced to choose between squished people and burn-in while viewing SD content

- Put the guide and menus in 1080i 16:9 ... if the PIP video is in that resolution, im sure this is possible

Love mine.

No dark images (using DVI)- got a few minor irratants- but firmware will fix them in time. Im happy as a pig in shlt.

Overall..

It really isnt bad for the price. I did take it off the main family room 65" rp set and went back to the 6000. My son has the 811 on his 32" direct view hdtv. We prefer the 6000 but our 811 doesnt have too many problems... the dark SVideo and it loses the local ota channels occasionally.

Being able to watch HDTV on a $150 receiver is great. I have had to do the 'check switch' routine 3 or 4 times; certainly not every time. I didn't have to spend $600 for a model 6000 or $400 retail for the 811 so I'm happy.

I'm using the DVI out but I've tried the component out, too. I can't see any difference between the two.

Consider this: I have read PC Magazine's annual customer satisfaction survey for 10 years. They get responses from over 15,000 PC owners. According to the survey each year, ~25% of the new PC's require service! That's one out of four! I believe the 811 is much better than this.

Last spring I bought a Toshiba RPTV. Online, the comments abounded about all the problems that they had with their CRT's. I was worried but I had owned 4 Toshibas already that had never had any problems. I took my chances, got a good one and have been very pleased.

No doubt that Dish has really screwed up this product's release. To not be able to get the units out they either had no idea what the demand would be or they have a huge production problem.

Now that I have HD, it's all that I want to watch. They're going to have to scramble to get more programming or risk losing customers like me that will go where the programming is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joe Armstrong said:
Now that I have HD, it's all that I want to watch. They're going to have to scramble to get more programming or risk losing customers like me that will go where the programming is.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You make it sound like they are behind... right now they offer the same as D*. Right? Where *is* the programming, in your opinion, if they dont "scramble to get more"?

With all of the problems it makes me wonder if it is all worth it. I am looking into getting a HD set soon. I qualified for the 149 deal and am having trouble deciding if i want to order it for later use with the new set.

Besides the Guide, I am hapy with my new 811. No darknes on the Component oouts (don't use Svideo), NO sound issues and HDTV pic is awesome.

joth386 said:
With all of the problems it makes me wonder if it is all worth it. I am looking into getting a HD set soon. I qualified for the 149 deal and am having trouble deciding if i want to order it for later use with the new set.

joth,

In my opinion, the 811 negative press is farrrrr overblown. Looks to me that the only issue that is a day-to-day, in your face problem is the picture-in-guide problem- which is at most a few weeks away from a patch fix. Other than that, I really have almost no complaints about it.

No audio dropout.

No dark picture with DVI or component (havent tried s-vid or composite)

Never get the "acquiring satellite signal" daily.

Never have to check switch.

Never get a shuffled guide or incorrect guide.

Hasnt frozen or reset itself.

A few problems reported with analog OTA- uhh... i dont watch analog OTA, so Ill never see these or even look to see if they exist on my unit.

No OTA locking problem- locks fine with 80% signal for me for all channels.

The 720p scaler seems to be horrible SD quality picture- but the workaround is to set it to output 1080i and let your tv scale to 720p (that is, if your tv is native 720p- otherwise this wont even be an issue for you). Channel recall between OTA and sat channels is busted. So until a patch release that fixes it, I have to type in a three digit channel instead of typing a one-key recall. I can live with that for a few weeks.

All in all, the reciever is working fine for me at least, and I dont think its nearly as bad as the huge negative press its getting. Not by a long shot. Maybe I just got a "good unit"... who knows. But think twice before considering "all the problems". Consider getting one and trying it. There is always a 30-day garuntee (trolls likely to follow with stories of hassle on the 30-day policy--- beware).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)