is anyone happy with dish 811?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

harveystern

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
miami fl
:yes hi all, all im hearing is the neg facts about the 811 is anyone happy with it and why. im sitting on the fence with a 6000 and ready to order one. thanks harvey

I'm Happy :)

The PQ on SAT HD and OTA HD is wonderful. I've been using DVI or Component and both look great. I have no issues with the SD from the Dish either.

The big problem is the Guide and the integration of the SAT and OTA.

As we speak I'm sure Dish is working feverishly on the software.

They get the guide worked out and I'll be a lot happier :)

IMHO,
Lee

ROLLTIDE said:
PQ on SD is horrible with the 811. I don't think that a software upgrade will ever fix this .

Not great but actually better than my previous cable.

It could for sure use improving, some channels are better than others for me.

They do all look good on my 19" TV, 20" TVs and 32" TV, but my 57" is marginal at best, HDTV is great though.

I've had one since early December and am happy with it. No complaints other than the bugs which have been documented so far. Can't beat the price (149) I paid; well worth it to be able to watch the Pats win another Super Bowl in HD.

Have to disagree

ROLLTIDE said:
PQ on SD is horrible with the 811. I don't think that a software upgrade will ever fix this .

Since I don't have a HDTV yet, ALL I watch is SD. The picture is as good as, or better than my previous model 5000 receiver. I have not had the unit "lock up" per se ... sometimes the receiver is unresponsive to remote commands for a few seconds.

I may join the league of the discontent when my HD set arrives around 2/3, but all in all this is not a bad unit for a new design.

ROLLTIDE said:

DVI or component? My SD PQ is at least 50% better on DVI. S-video is too soft for my tastes, and not worth the input switcheroo

AcuraCL said:
Since I don't have a HDTV yet, ALL I watch is SD. The picture is as good as, or better than my previous model 5000 receiver. I have not had the unit "lock up" per se ... sometimes the receiver is unresponsive to remote commands for a few seconds.

I may join the league of the discontent when my HD set arrives around 2/3, but all in all this is not a bad unit for a new design.

When you say you're watching SD, is the SD Dish channels (which were same as normal) or over the air NTSC analog SD channels (which are horrible)?

I got my 811 installed a few weeks ago. BTW for new subscibers it was free. I used to have my analog cable hooked up through my computer which has PVR functionality via Windows XP MediaCenter Edition. I have tried both the S-Video and Composite out into the MCE. It looks HORRIBLE! Worse than analog cable!

The component/HD picture into my tv looks amazing. I really am disappointed however by the SD out. Also the lack of OTA program guide really blows. Have any of you noticed as well that you can use the Recall button to jump from a Sat channel say HBOHD (9456) to an OTA channel but not the other way around? I was playing last night with it. No problem from HBOHD to DSCHD and back and forth etc. I then tried changing channels from an OTA channel to HBOHD and pressing recall. That worked fine. But when I hit it again it wouldn't leave the OTA channel.

Paddy

hannonpi said:
Have any of you noticed as well that you can use the Recall button to jump from a Sat channel say HBOHD (9456) to an OTA channel but not the other way around? I was playing last night with it. No problem from HBOHD to DSCHD and back and forth etc. I then tried changing channels from an OTA channel to HBOHD and pressing recall. That worked fine. But when I hit it again it wouldn't leave the OTA channel.

I believe that is what we are all getting, or at least I am too.

Same thing, leaves SAT to go OTA but doesn't leave OTA to go to SAT.

I have really enjoyed my 811. It has its problems, but for the price it was worth it. THe fixes will come and clear up the bugs.

I've really been enjoying mine. Of course, I'm still waiting for the two-day programming guide, and I've noticed the picture is a little on the dark side, but nothing horrendous. The biggest improvement for me, though, is scrolling speed. I swear all the time I spent scrolling through the program guide on the 6000, if you added it up it'd be a year! Oh, and there's no fan noise either. Aaaaaah.

I'm not 100% happy, though. There's the lack of the two-day programming guide, and I have had one hard lockup -- wouldn't even power on -- and had to unplug it. I don't watch locals much, though, so I don't have a big problem with the channel reassignment bug, though it would be nice if that would get patched soon.

All in all, I'm happy with it, and with the expected bug fixes it should only get better.

I had the 6000 and switched to the 811. The sd output is as good on the 6000 and as good on my 2800 receiver or Cox cable sd picture. Other than the problems that Dish is working on and most I have not seen on my 811, it is great. I have had the sound go out and had to reboot the 811 to get it back, but that is a problem that Dish is working on. For $149, it is great and I like it better than the 6000.
As soon as the trolls all go over the D*, the rest of us can enjoy the 811.

I too am enjoying my 811, because on the whole, it is doing what I bought it for. And that is to watch TV in HD. As for the missing features and bugs... well the unit is a decent piece of hardware with many positives. That's why we are all putting up with the problems that this thing gives us. We are hanging in there with Dish because of the "promise" to make this box into the superior product we were led to believe it would be. But the waiting is just so darn hard!

For me, my wish-list is simple:
Fix the guide.
Fix the dark picture
(I wish that the 811 would handle SD as cleanly as my 501)
Add support for DVD recorders

If these things were taken care of, I'd do commercials for the 811 myself!
Bubba04

I am happy with mine. Yes it is quirky but hey I am a new user and it was a freeby. The picture quality in SD improved for me when I used the DVI to connect to my Sony KP57ws500. Not dark and much clearer.

The HD works great. I do have the occasional loss of sound or lock up. Holding the power button down for 12 seconds reboots the box without having to unplug it. BTW I have only had to reboot it once in the past 2 weeks.

rad said:
When you say you're watching SD, is the SD Dish channels (which were same as normal) or over the air NTSC analog SD channels (which are horrible)?

Dish channels. I can't pull in anything off the air with rabbit ears (NTSC or HD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts