Is Boosting Signal Creating 811 Problems?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I just recently added another 10 feet to my OTA antenna elevation. While I was resizing my RG6 cables I noticed a very interesting event. When I did not have my signal booster (Centronics 1426UL model) on I noticed the the 811 showed a signal approximately 12% less but STABLE! That's right, once the 811 locked on the signal did not change more than 1%.

Now with the booster on I can receive more digital stations, but the signal will vacillate between 5 and 15% for all OTA digital stations sometimes causing a lost of signal lock in the 811. Has anyone else noticed this?

This isn't unheard of. MANY people have suggested getting a $10 attenuator to LOWER OTA signals

What others have posted on other threads is that the on-screen signal strength meter is actually a measure of signal to noise. Your signal booster (amplifier) may be causing more noise or creating some multipath issues.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better booster? I have tried Radio Shack and they are worse.

How do you know that Radio Shack is worse? I got my my preamp from Channel master. I got one that was recommended for my antenna. My attenuator I got from Radio Shack. My personaly opinion is whenever you get a preamp, You should also get an attenuator.

My understanding is that the signal bar on the 811 is a ratio of signal to error ratio. That is why in a lot of cased when you add a preamp you do not see the strength increase. It is not a pure signal strength indicator.

I have a TERK inline amplifier BIA-20 installed with my OTA antenna. I am using diplexers with DC pass so that the 811 receiver powers my inline amplifier also. It has boosted my OTA digital signals by around 10 points. The picture quality is now excellent. The signal fluctuates around 3% points. I live in Denver.

ashoo said:
I have a TERK inline amplifier BIA-20 installed with my OTA antenna. I am using diplexers with DC pass so that the 811 receiver powers my inline amplifier also. It has boosted my OTA digital signals by around 10 points. The picture quality is now excellent. The signal fluctuates around 3% points. I live in Denver.

hey i want to see how its done... im trying to boost my cbs signal.. here in chicago... i get it between 60 @ 64... its choppy at times... (wachable some times others not) I would like to boost it up to 70 so it doesnt fade... all other channels are in 80's and 90's witch isnt too bad for being 40 miles out from the towers... also my cbs braudcasts in the vhf range on channel 3 where everything else is in the uhf range... so that could be another reason for such low signal..

ashoo said:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I must ask it. Would the amplifier you mention here (or any other for that matter) only be used to improve signal strength? Example, my signal strength on SAT 110 & 119 is usually around 90 & 101 respectively, which is good, but I still get a lousy PQ on most all SD channels. (BTW, I have an 811 receiver as well). Since it's obvious to me that signal strength doesn't necessarily affect PQ in all cases, I'm looking for a way(s) to improve that PQ on the SAT SD channels. FYI: I've done all the obvious things and I also use DVI, have good quality cabling & have self-calibrated my HDTV.

Ken

It sounds like you've done all that you can. As you have surmised, satellite signal strength has no bearing on PQ. When you say you have self-calibrated your TV, was it using an aid such as the Avia or Digital Video Essentials DVD's? It helps to have the color bars, greyscale, and other patterns, along with step by step insructions of how to properly use them.

The problem is that Dish over-compresses their SD channels, especially the Locals. You'll probably find that premiums such as HBO do not look as bad. However, they do not look nearly as good as they did a few years ago, before they started adding locals for every podunk little hamlet in the country.

khearrean said:
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I must ask it. Would the amplifier you mention here (or any other for that matter) only be used to improve signal strength? Example, my signal strength on SAT 110 & 119 is usually around 90 & 101 respectively, which is good, but I still get a lousy PQ on most all SD channels. (BTW, I have an 811 receiver as well). Since it's obvious to me that signal strength doesn't necessarily affect PQ in all cases, I'm looking for a way(s) to improve that PQ on the SAT SD channels. FYI: I've done all the obvious things and I also use DVI, have good quality cabling & have self-calibrated my HDTV.

Ken

No... A preamp will not help your SD PQ.

Do a Search on here.. questions about improving PQ is asked a number of times and there are a lot of recommendations.

Here is what I usually say.

1) Professional Calibration.
2) Make sure you are not sitting to close to the TV. If you have 73" TV sitting 8 ft from it is way too close. There are some guidelines and should find a lot of advice hear and other sources on the net. I sit 12' from a 60" TV. (For SD viewing this is what I would consider minimum)
3) Clean power through a power conditionar or UPS. I use the Monstor HTS 2500.
4) Set Proper expectations. On a 60" screen expecting sharp SD channels is just not going to happen. PQ will vary channel by channel. HDTV is optimized for HDTV content. You don't get great SD quality on a HDTV setup.
5) Make sure your TV is not set to VIVID or that you have edge enhancments turned on. This is enhance the artificates. I tend to watch my TV in MILD or PRO.

goaliebob99 said:
hey i want to see how its done... im trying to boost my cbs signal.. here in chicago... i get it between 60 @ 64... its choppy at times... (wachable some times others not) I would like to boost it up to 70 so it doesnt fade... all other channels are in 80's and 90's witch isnt too bad for being 40 miles out from the towers... also my cbs braudcasts in the vhf range on channel 3 where everything else is in the uhf range... so that could be another reason for such low signal..

Looks like a similar situation. In Denver, I was getting CBS and PBS in the 60% range and there used to be dropouts. After adding the inline amplifier to only the OTA antenna line, my signal strength has jumped to around 72% for both stations and the PQ is excellent with no dropouts. The terk BIA20 will amplify broadcast or cable signals, but only when they are diplexed with the satellite signal from the LNB. The satellite receiver provides the power for the unit, so there is no way of powering it, if it is used only for OTA broadcast signal unless you are using a powered antenna. If only the off-air antenna signal portion needs to be boosted, the amplifier should be installed between the indoor diplexer and the off-air input to the satellite receiver. If the amplifier is being used in a system that contains only a powered off-air antenna then, the amplifier should be placed near the antenna.

Hope this helps.

WeeJavaDude said:
5) Make sure your TV is not set to VIVID or that you have edge enhancments turned on. This is enhance the artificates. I tend to watch my TV in MILD or PRO.

Oops.. I mean turn off edge enhancement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)