Is Business About To Pick Up?

My gut tells me that FiOS TV will counter whatever satellite does, but only better. One-hundred-two (102) full bitrate HD channels and counting...six new VOOM-like HD channels are coming to FiOS, and rumor has it that some of the VOOM channels may appear on U-Verse in the near future.

So how can satellite show up Cable and the Telcos? With HD now mainstream and the U.S. on the verge of turning off analog broadcast networks, satellite can start by getting rid of "HD Programming Packs" that require customers to pay an additional $10-$20 for HD programming that is free or costing them pennies.

My gut tells me that FiOS TV will counter whatever satellite does, but only better. One-hundred-two (102) full bitrate HD channels and counting...six new VOOM-like HD channels are coming to FiOS, and rumor has it that some of the VOOM channels may appear on U-Verse in the near future.

So how can satellite show up Cable and the Telcos? With HD now mainstream and the U.S. on the verge of turning off analog broadcast networks, satellite can start by getting rid of "HD Programming Packs" that require customers to pay an additional $10-$20 for HD programming that is free or costing them pennies.

While I agree with you, I just wish Fios was avaliable everywhere. I would dump both satellite providers in a heart beat if I could get FIOS. ATT uvers here isnt doing much better.

So how can satellite show up Cable and the Telcos?

Well in my area of the World, Verizon doesn't even have their dsl available universely. I don't live in the sticks either ( a growing community of 20,000 ppl whom would be characterisically describered as upper middle class.) Basically FIOS isn't even a threat to cable thus far, much alone the offerings of Dish or Directv.

Dish needs to be more competitive with Directv with their sports offeriings in HD, while both services continue to add additional national hd channels.

Agreed island guy...satellite isnt going anywhere. There's always rural and fios is only being ran in newer communities. Wait we could always string fiber from the tp's. Wassnt voom from the 80's. I think Dish and Directv are reasonably priced plus they both have more hd then fios.

As fiber gets cheaper and cheaper, it is going to be more commonly used. In another 10-15 years a lot of areas that have cable systems will probably have fiber ran.

I can get Fios, but their DVR sounds not ready for prime time, so I will stick with E* for now.....

All that buttery HD goodness though is tempting....

I can get Fios, but their DVR sounds not ready for prime time, so I will stick with E* for now.....

All that buttery HD goodness though is tempting....

Go for FIOS All the HD and 20/5 internet. Their DVR is not that bad. But i do miss the 722 :mad:

Overall i think FIOS blows everbody out of the water......

I think what I may do is wait until my discounted Phone and Internet plan expires in 18 months.... Then I'll add TV and reset the 2 year clock... (I think this will work). Plus by then, maybe the DVR is better...

Plus, I've got 4 DVRs right now..... Going to Fios cuts me down to one AND has a smaller hard drive?

Uh uh.... Not ready for prime time.....

While I agree with you, I just wish Fios was avaliable everywhere. I would dump both satellite providers in a heart beat if I could get FIOS. ATT uvers here isnt doing much better.

goalebob99;1568850:

First, thank you for your service!

Next, I see we disagree on more than just politics too. My daughter and her family live in Springfield, Virginia - have the FiOS triple play and just love it. The fabulous PQ of FiOS took their Samsung DLPs to the next level! And the internet service is to die for. The small Nat table in the ActionTec router can't handle connection-intensive applications (P2P, Steam, etc.) but there are work arounds.

We have FiOS internet & telephone, but kept Dish for their outstanding DVRs and great external storage. And of all things, I even like the Dish monthly program guide. My exterior wiring is getting a bit old and if Dish would just give me a free conversion to the Eastern Arc, we would probably stay with them for years to come. Just "different strokes for different folks" I guess.

Many on your side of the aisle have big issues with the current FCC Chair, Kevin Martin; however, it was his leadership that did so much to put the telcos in direct competition with the cable pigs and now even with each other. For example, Verizon is building out FiOS in California, Florida, Michigan, Texas and elsewhere in addition to their traditional "footprint" states. This is in direct competition with AT&T, et. al.

The bottom line: Sooner or later, there is FiOS hope for just about everyone. :hungry:

Just my 2 cents.

--Doug

We have four receivers active, all DVRs..... One in each of the kids rooms (both 510s) so they record all the Hannah Montana and Simpsons episodes they want without filling my main one up. The other, a 622, is in my bedroom.... On Mondays at 8pm, when there are four shows I want to see (Terminator, Chuck, Big Bang/How I Met Your Mother, Football), it's a must....

I have the Everything pak so I just get hit with the leased receiver fees....

Then my main unit in our TV room which is a 722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts