Is charter rolling out a speed increase?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Is Charter rolling out a speed increase? We are only paying for 30Mb download internet but lately I have been noticing spikes at the beginning of my downloads up to around 50Mb. When I do a speedtest it usually jumps up to the mid 40s or low 50s and then stabilizes just above 30Mb. However the last several speedtests I have done stayed consistently around 50Mb. This is a speed test I just did on my laptop over WiFi. I get similar speeds on a gaming pc hard wired but usually with a better ping.

http:// http://

They are slowly rolling out faster speeds in our area.They haven't got the 100 down going yet though.I suspect what you are seeing is the speed boost.How's the weather there?Supposedly when its warmer the speeds are faster.

Maybe they are just using their "speedboost" technology again. That will jack up the rate for a short bit at the first, and then drop and level off.

One thing I can tell you is: do NOT call them and ask them! If it's an accident, you telling them about the higher speeds will motivate them to "fix it" if it's not intended, and then you'll be back to normal speeds.

I don't think 100 down is available in this area either. As far as I can tell 30Mb seems to be the only option here. The weather has finally gotten nicer around here in the mid to upper 70s all week. It could be a temporary speedboost but I have never seen it go over 30Mb by more than 1 or 2Mb until last week even in short bursts. My speeds have always been consistently close to the 30Mb they say we should get. Never much higher or lower. In the last couple weeks I have seen peaks around 50Mb but now it is actually maintaining that speed for the entire test. I have never seen that before on our network. If they are using speedboost now it is something new for my area.

One of the Charter techs told me when the weather is on the warm or hot side,that I would see speeds well over 30Mb even as high as 40Mb during the speed boost.We haven't had any real warm or hot weather since November though.

Try this speed test,it's much more comprehensive than speedtest.net.It should give you a more accurate reading.

http://testmy.net/

They may be upgrading in your area. I noticed that my bill went from $39 to $44 to $55 in 3 months. I was paying for 18 which was their 2nd level, and now the minimum I can get is 15 down at $47 per month and the next level is 30 down at $55 per month. Seems a no brainer for $8 a month, but I really only wanted 18 for less money, and I'm out of luck. I'd love to change, but there are just no options here. :(

One of the Charter techs told me when the weather is on the warm or hot side,that I would see speeds well over 30Mb even as high as 40Mb during the speed boost.We haven't had any real warm or hot weather since November though.

Try this speed test,it's much more comprehensive than speedtest.net.It should give you a more accurate reading.

http://testmy.net/

That test gave me a much slower reading. It said my average download was 32.1 with a maximum of 35.28 my average upload was 3.3. Both up and down were slower than speedtest.net and much closer to my advertised speeds from charter. Speedtest.net seems to be the most common tester I see around the internet but it looks like it exaggerates speed.

That test gave me a much slower reading. It said my average download was 32.1 with a maximum of 35.28 my average upload was 3.3. Both up and down were slower than speedtest.net and much closer to my advertised speeds from charter. Speedtest.net seems to be the most common tester I see around the internet but it looks like it exaggerates speed.

It doesn't really exaggerate the speeds.The problem is,it's a very short test.With a short test you get the inflated speed boost speeds.testmy.net is about the most accurate test I have found.

When our commercial modem was replaced a couple weeks ago (and...wouldn't talk to the buffalo router without changing router firrmware, btw)..we were told
we could go from our current 30 down/3 up to 50 down/5 up for another $15/month, but I really don't see the need! Nice its available, but even with streaming, 6 computers, and constant ftp'ing, etc...we don't seem to need it even for a small town radio station. It IS available, however if one pays extra. Not sure if commercial only. I'd rather put my bucks into a BACKUP DSL so our stream is never down, and our access to the 'net is available when power's out in town. (we have a generator, and DSL works great usually due to its own power supply, if user can provide modem power.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)