IS CLOSED CAPTIONING REALLY THAT HARD TO GET RIGHT??? ARGH!

Edgar_in_Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Sorry about screaming, but this is driving me crazy. It's bad enough that you have to go through several menus to turn CC on and off, but to add insult to injury, about 50% of the time it doesn't even work. It's either all garbled, or just doesn't show up at all. Every TV I've owned or used in my life, no matter how cheap, has been able to handle closed captioning just fine, but nooooo, not my state-of-the-art Dish network receivers. And I've seen other people make the same complaints. I mean, seriously, what gives?

Since my wife is from Brazil and English is her 2nd language, subtitles are very important. Not to mention all the hearing impaired people who must be frustrated. Between this and a 622 that resets randomly and gets stuck in a reboot loop once a week, I'm just about ready to jump ship.

On a side note, I noticed that the Dtvpal I bought has a CC button right on the remote...what a concept.

Hello, i just got Dish 722 installed, my wife's English is her second language and it would be nice to get CC, how does one even set that up with the 722? We have the samsung slim DLP 61" and of course the CC button on there won't work at all.

722 is connected to our tv via HDMI.

Thanks!

Hello, i just got Dish 722 installed, my wife's English is her second language and it would be nice to get CC, how does one even set that up with the 722? We have the samsung slim DLP 61" and of course the CC button on there won't work at all.

722 is connected to our tv via HDMI.

Thanks!

Take your Dish Remote and do the following.

Step 1: Press Menu
Step 2: Press 8
Step 3: Press 7
Step 4: Select CC to On and click Done

Sorry you're having trouble with CC. I have a similar problem, but it's is with certain channels not displaying CC AT ALL. MGM, UNIHD and a few other of the channels. Apparently CC must be really complicated for their engineers. I sent Universal HD an e-mail for them to ask their NBC counterparts how to get CC on their HD channel. I haven't heard anything back yet, though. ; )

Good Luck

Your TV set does not do captioning for DVR HD/digital only for analog--it does do it for OTA!
The recorder/receiver must provide the captions and allows more fonts and colors.
I find that the 722/622 seems to frequently loses the captioning in midstream.
This happens more frequently when recording multiple streams or dealing with the external disk.
The only "sure" way to get CC back is to do a soft reset--hold front-panel power button for 10 sec.
Recently I have been able to get CC back by using the remote button to turn off the receiver for a moderate time--at least 50% of the time but maybe not if recording or transferring. This is a big improvement over a full reset because you do not lose a recording nor waste 5 to 7 minutes waiting for the reset. Too bad it does not always work everytime.
-Ken
P.S. no CC if there is no CC in the guide as on old MGM and many UNI movies.
My old trick of turning off CC and turning it back on works say 10% or less of the time.

That's all correct. It's frequently messed up and it's a pain to go through the menus. I had to buy a new remote and create a macro just do do CC.

And garbled is sometimes the source on syndicated shows that may be stored on and played back on tape. Any little edge damage or timing error results in loss of this signal. Also, one brand of satellite receivers (not DBS) jumps a setting that kills or enables CC. Now, decoding this accurately on the digital stream is much easier than on analog, so, as a broadcaster, it is getting better.

Take your Dish Remote and do the following.

Step 1: Press Menu
Step 2: Press 8
Step 3: Press 7
Step 4: Select CC to On and click Done
Which in itself is a pain in the @ss to do (especially when it used to be 8-8, and they changed it to 8-7).
They should really implement a single button CC, or put it into the main menu.

This is one of those instances where the new FCC mandates have messed up the old ones. The FCC mandated back in the early '90s that every set have CC. However, when they went to ATSC (and the other digital direct connect standards - HDMI), they didn't fully think CC. They allowed the digital CC to be functionally different from the analog ones, and further, they didn't specify a path for direct digital connections like HDMI.

That ends up creating multiple different paths to get CC, depending on source and resolution. Hopefully this gets sorted out over time, but for now the source receiver/player is the best place to decode. As mentioned, a lot of HD doesn't do CC yet, but it is definitely better than a year ago when nobody was doing cc on HD channels.

The one button solution is unfortunately years away. And be thankful that you aren't dealing with Comcadt/Motorola. In order to turn on CC on my system, I need to turn off the DVR, change settings in a special configuration screen, turn it back on and then find the channel.

The one button solution is unfortunately years away. And be thankful that you aren't dealing with Comcadt/Motorola. In order to turn on CC on my system, I need to turn off the DVR, change settings in a special configuration screen, turn it back on and then find the channel.

Yeah, I had to do that when I had cable. Extremely annoying. But at least the CC worked when it was available. The garbled captions are what really annoy me, because there does not seem to be any way to fix it.

Wow, this thread is very informative. I was getting ready to upgrade my programming to HD, but now I'll wait. CC is very important for my family. Does anyone know if Directv's implementation is any better?

I have CC on all the time, and it is my observation that the channels I watch get CC's correctly 97% of the time. My 722's do a good job with CC via HDMI and S-video (using the "Dish" CC options-not the NTSC).

The times I do have problems, it is most often the channel. Some channels broadcast a new episode without CC. Clearly, the producers were probably LATE. If the CC is bad on one channel, I will tune to another channel, and sure enough, it works perfectly. Then when the show with the rotten CC ends and the next show begins--PERFECT CC.

My biggest complaint is with Game Show Network's CC's during Match Game. The CC is constantly out of sync with what is being said on the screeen--often 30 seconds ahead of what people are saying. A sad JOKE.

YES! It is maddening that Dish has BURIED the CC options. It sill irritates me. They should have a single button that can take us to those options.

There may be a chance your STB is not handling CC proplerly. Please check and compare, and if you believe the CC is not being handled correctly, get it RMA'd. Good Luck.

P.S. no CC if there is no CC in the guide as on old MGM and many UNI movies.

Most of the older movies are understandable, but a lot of the newer movies should be "easy" to extract the info from the bitstream. But, they will get to it eventually one day, maybe, in the future, soon. :rolleyes:

if you need CC for a particular show, watch it through composite jacks or coax (yuck to both) and let your Tv do the CC part,

i agree Dish messes a lot of CC on the channels i watch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)