Is Credit Card required for Dish in PA, unlike DirecTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

STEELERSRULE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2007
NW Pennsylvania
Now I have Dish. But it is Dish FlexTV, where no CC is required(or Social Security Number for that matter). It is "alright", but I have not used it in well over a year, and is boxed up. It used to be the DishNOW!(DP301) setup which was AWESOME, until I had the DP301 converted over too FlexTV when it was allowed for a period of time.

Anyway, my question was raised because the other day I was in Best Buy, and just picked up one of DirecTV's pamphlets, and was purusing through it just for the heck of it. I turn it over to the back and at the top of the disclaimers/rules/regulations it says: NO CC REQUIRED FOR RESIDENTS OF PA OR MA.

Now I am guessing the same would hold true for Dish, since this sounds like a state law created by both MA and PA.

I was just wondering if it actually holds true for anyone with any experience with Dish/DirecTV/FIOS/etc... in either of these states within the past year or two if they signed up within that time. And if that holds true for even just buying the receivers/equipment themselves within those states.

Just curiosity more than anything else on my part. Want to know if people in these states even realize this, and if they know they had that right NOT TO GIVE THEIR CC( I wonder if SS# is required as well, as I refuse to give that too most places) if they wanted it that way.

This may not be printed on all the pamphlets throughout the U.S., but it was there on the one I picked up in Niles, OH(just across the border into OH from PA).

Anyone know?

I have no idea. I've never heard of this. I just read the back of the Dish brochure and I didn't see anything that mentions that.

Seems like I've read that if you won't give a ss # the provider "generally" won't let you order service, unless it's prepaid, that's the main reason asking for the ss# is to pull a credit report(s).

I believe the "no cc rule" is a state law in PA & MA, I think it means the provider can not require a cc in order to begin service, I'm guessing the provider would ask for a a debit card # or checking acct # as a means of having some security they'll get paid.

I don't object to giving my ss# if I'm getting a credit card, loan, establishing a new utility acct, etc.
I think that is better than putting a deposit down, not getting the best loan rate, etc. I'm more concerned about the non-financial operations (such as doctors, dentists, employers, etc) having my ss#, too many people have access to it that could do a lot of damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)