Is D* right for me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arterius

Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Hey guys - total newbie here. I don't even know what I don't know, but I have spent a few days combing the forums, looking for a question/answer similar to mine, yet I've not found one. I'm generally looking for feedback and options, as they are currently available.

Here's our current setup: Currently an E* customer. Have been for nearly 4 years now. We have a single DVR-625, which my wife loves. We only have 2 TVs in the home, so it works very well. What she really likes is the ability to watch recorded content on either TV. She can record a show (some TLC or Lifestime junk... err programming) and then watch it on either TV1 or TV2, and still have the ability to watch something else on the other TV. We're quite pleased... well, she is.

There are a few channels that E* doesn't carry that I'd like to get (like, the mtn, for example). We're 20 minutes from CSU (in Colorado) and can't watch their games on TV, even over the air. Dish doesn't appear to be rectifying the situation anytime soon, so it's time I look for other options. However, in order to sell my wife on any change, we'd have to keep the capability of being able to watch recorded content on either TV (a centralized storage, essentially), and for the other TV to be operated independently.

From the postings I've read, it seems as though this isn't possible, but figured one of you brilliant folks might be able to better address my question than my random searchings. Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Hey guys - total newbie here. I don't even know what I don't know, but I have spent a few days combing the forums, looking for a question/answer similar to mine, yet I've not found one. I'm generally looking for feedback and options, as they are currently available.

Here's our current setup: Currently an E* customer. Have been for nearly 4 years now. We have a single DVR-625, which my wife loves. We only have 2 TVs in the home, so it works very well. What she really likes is the ability to watch recorded content on either TV. She can record a show (some TLC or Lifestime junk... err programming) and then watch it on either TV1 or TV2, and still have the ability to watch something else on the other TV. We're quite pleased... well, she is.

There are a few channels that E* doesn't carry that I'd like to get (like, the mtn, for example). We're 20 minutes from CSU (in Colorado) and can't watch their games on TV, even over the air. Dish doesn't appear to be rectifying the situation anytime soon, so it's time I look for other options. However, in order to sell my wife on any change, we'd have to keep the capability of being able to watch recorded content on either TV (a centralized storage, essentially), and for the other TV to be operated independently.

From the postings I've read, it seems as though this isn't possible, but figured one of you brilliant folks might be able to better address my question than my random searchings. Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

DirecTV doesn't have a 2 TV DVR so it would cost you more money.You would need 2 DirecTV DVRs so it would be $4.99 for the mirror fee,$5.99 DVR fee +programming package fee + $99. upgrade fee.If you like the ability to go back and forth with the live buffers?.DirecTV DVRs only have 1 90 minute live buffer.There is also a 24 month commitment and DirecTV DVRs are leased meaning when you cancel the service you have to send the DVRs back to DirecTV(they pay for it).

Last edited:
Well to me, given the "missing channels" the OP mentions, I always chose desired programming over the 2nd receiver or not. Get the channels you want! That's priority #1 to me. Everything else is a simple learning curve of change & change as they say, is inevitable!

WAF is vastly over-exaggerated and used mostly as a bogus excuse I have found. If the wife truly makes the decisions and pays the bills to that extent then those "men" need to stop posting here asking questions without the boss's permission. LOL

WAF is vastly over-exaggerated and used mostly as a bogus excuse I have found. If the wife truly makes the decisions and pays the bills to that extent then those "men" need to stop posting here asking questions without the boss's permission. LOL

Heh - if only it were that simple. Seeing as how I don't watch a lot of TV, the general ratio of "happy wife" to "increased programming" needs to be fairly high. What good is increased programming if you have a disgruntled woman in the house? For now, I guess I stick to internet radio broadcasts. Thanks for the input guys!

Unless you want Sunday Ticket, there's no problem staying with E*.

Heh - if only it were that simple. Seeing as how I don't watch a lot of TV, the general ratio of "happy wife" to "increased programming" needs to be fairly high. What good is increased programming if you have a disgruntled woman in the house? For now, I guess I stick to internet radio broadcasts. Thanks for the input guys!

LOL with the extra programming you will not notice the disgruntled woman in the house. But really, I think you may be underestimating your wife's ability to understand why its actually better regardless of the new methods and chnl numbers she must learn; I am sure she is smart enough to handle it. Mine did!

LOL

Unless you want Sunday Ticket, there's no problem staying with E*.

I was a Dish subscriber for 4 1/2 years and I switched to DirecTV and I don't have Sunday Ticket.Let's look at the differences:

DirecTV charges you 1 month service to start,not 2 months like Dish.

DirecTV only charges 1 DVR fee per household,not for each DVR like Dish.

DirecTV charges $3. for locals,not $5. like Dish.

DirecTV has national basic channels like LOGO,FITTV,FUEL,TV1,T101(Free Concerts) BETJAZZ just to name a few.Dish doesn't.

DirecTV has a clear objective for HD building 3 HD satellites.After the launch of D12 in 2009 that will give DirecTV 200+ HD channels and 1500 HD locals.Dish has not announced adding that many HD channels.

Well there is just a few differences as you can see DirecTV is more than just sports.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)