Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I do not think I have read that they are using Harmonic Encoders but I believe that about a year or two years ago when they say they were going to triple the HD channels, their Press Release mentioned a new compression scheme. It wasn't explicitly stated as Harmonic Encoders but now that I have D* I have been able to compare some of the glitches of these Harmonic Encoders with the ones from V*. Things that I have seen in both is that

1 - the "Black screen" this is temporary and very quick. Your screen goes black for about .5 seconds and it just happens sometimes and not enough to annoy anyone.

2 - the "snow screen" this one is unsual to see because I saw them on V* whenever the receiver was trying to do a handshake with the HDCP DVI connection. I know for a fact the V* was using HDCP. I do not know if D* is using HDCP. But I have seen the "snow screen" as well on D* and again it only last 0.5 seconds and sometimes.

3 - the "green splash": a splash of green is spotted on the video for 0.5 seconds.

4 - the "strips of broken video" again only happens for 0.5 seconds and not every time.

The reason I mention these similarities is that if D* is using Harmonic Encoders, their bitrates may not be measured according to the old MPEG-2. This means that they maybe compressing the channels more and if anyone sees the compression bitrates one immediately say "Oh my". Anyone has any information on what they use.

Hi Sean,
Were you able to set up OTA with D*? I had my installation on Monday. The installer simply attached the existing OTA line to the HD Tivo on the correct post. The local channels added to the guide, but I don't get reception of any local channel. I'm thinking maybe I need to get a power supply for my antenna. The antenna is a Winegard PR-8800, and it worked fine with Voom. I don't think that the HD Tivo provides power to the antenna, so that's why I think I need an external power supply. Sound right?

The Stone Man said:
Hi Sean,
Were you able to set up OTA with D*? I had my installation on Monday. The installer simply attached the existing OTA line to the HD Tivo on the correct post. The local channels added to the guide, but I don't get reception of any local channel. I'm thinking maybe I need to get a power supply for my antenna. The antenna is a Winegard PR-8800, and it worked fine with Voom. I don't think that the HD Tivo provides power to the antenna, so that's why I think I need an external power supply. Sound right?

I am using a non-power antenna. I was using the same with VOOM. So I just attached to the Tivo and voila everything was there. That sounds correct. I believe the VOOM receiver was supplying the power back to the antenna. Were using a diplexer as well?

Hey Stoner! Yes you do need a power supply. I also use my Voom antenna with D*, it is a channelmaster 4228 and works like a champ on my HR10-250.

On another note ... with SpaceWay 1 in orbit the fall looks pretty good for expansion. I certainly hope they have some unannounced plans for National channels and decompression of the existing line-up. I think I'll send another letter.

Thanks Sean and Slacker. I'll see what they have at BB. If I get the locals squared away I'll be happy. I liked Rave and Monsters, but I'm getting to be a fan of HDNet.

If you have not tried the Zenith silver sensor, you should. I picked up 2, 6, 9, 31 + Cheyenne from my home in Loveland. Amazing lil antenna.

I've got a siver sensor amped and it gets the Baltimore stations great. My Winegard squareshooter2 (amped) gets the Dc stations great also. Using a Lindsey UHF combiner so I can use both at the same time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts