Is DirecTV MPEG4 PQ declining?

What do you think of DirecTV's MPEG4 HD picture quality?

• Picture quality has declined since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Picture quality has stayed the same since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 89 73.0%
  • Picture quality has improved since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Over in the D*/E* Warzone, member vampz26 in post http://www.satelliteguys.us/1432928-post82.html has said "but I know for a fact that both D* and E* have seen slight declines since mpeg4's initial inception".

When it was responded to by some members don't agree with his assesment in post http://www.satelliteguys.us/1433227-post90.html he said "As more and more channels were being added, there were several concerns that PQ was somewhat declining, and many folks documented these concerns on this and other sites...its in the archives if you want to look for yourself..."

So let's do a poll, what do you think of the picture quality on DirecTV's MPEG4 HD channels?

I voted that it has improved only because my locals have improved. The national HD channels have remained the same.

I think it has stayed the same, people are just getting use to it looking good so they have adjusted.

That said, the more channels you cram on a transponder, it would stand to reason that there would be a point that it would eventually degrade, but I don't think they are anywhere near that point.

Jimbo

I think it has stayed the same also, You all do have to remember as encoders improve there efficancy it can be possible to have more channels on a transponder and keep the quality the same.

No change here, the new channels still look the same and just fine, thank you.

I see no difference in PQ from last fall... I have both providers and support both...

I resent being quoted out of context in the openning post here, and would appreciate action being taken to correct that. Rad has no right paraphrasing my posts for his poll. Please don't make me pursue this further.

I have no problem with his poll if its neutral, but to single me out for attack is in bad form.

Like I said...I will pursue this further.

It has dropped significantly.
Also, has anyone had problems with the sound not syncing?

It seemed like it was declining about two months ago, but then it went back to "normal". I have Cox cable for internet and some of their unencrypted QUAM channels pass through the filter on my line. Most of the channels are my local HDs, and let me tell you that the difference between Directv and Cox is astounding! I will never subscribe to Cox for tv. Aside from their anemic HD channel offerings, the quality is HIGHLY compressed and outright unwatchable to me.

That said, I sincerely hope that Directv does not go the way of XM and Sirius in their battle for customers with Dish. For those that don't know, Sirius and XM compressed the hell out of their channels in order add more than they should have. Although their quality is not unlistenable, the added compression has caused that "spark" to be lost from the music.

I have my fingers crossed that D* will not make the same mistake they made with their SD channels. To me, their SD channels are nearly unwatchable unless I use an older low quality tv. No matter how badly I want to see a program, I simply will not watch it if it's not on an HD channel. The program itself doesn't have to be in HD, but it must be on an HD channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)