Is DirecTV MPEG4 PQ declining?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

What do you think of DirecTV's MPEG4 HD picture quality?

• Picture quality has declined since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Picture quality has stayed the same since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 89 73.0%
  • Picture quality has improved since the original rollout last fall

Votes: 15 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Perhaps the individuals experiencing a worsened picture quality need to dust / clean their screen :D

Since the launch of D10, the MPEG4 channels look the exact same to me...very good.

I have both providers and both are equally very good. I personally think the PQ on Dish has gotten a bit better lately. I know alot of people think Dish sucks in PQ but I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. Also, different channels are almost like night and day in quality. Some Diret channels just about knock your socks off in PQ, so crisp and clear, others a bit washed out. Same goes for Dish, so great others so-so.

Aeka: Proof?

And, no audio syncing issues.

I get a great signal. The marcoblocking and color palate just seems to be getting worse. I have no proof since I never thought to take a picture before. Action movies are unwatchable to me. Are they not shoving more hd channels on a transponder? Isn't that proof enough?

This is what I see when things move.

I get a great signal. The marcoblocking and color palate just seems to be getting worse. I have no proof since I never thought to take a picture before. Action movies are unwatchable to me. Are they not shoving more hd channels on a transponder? Isn't that proof enough?

This is what I see when things move.

Sure looks like you're in the wrong forum, this is DirecTV. Looking at your other posts this is the first D* thead that you've posted in and you make the same comment about PQ in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...zing-bandwidth-hd-channels-2.html#post1423508 in a E* forum.

If you really did make a mistake can you please PM a mod here and ask them to remove your vote from the poll then. Thanks

I see no difference on the MPEG4. But I'm curious what could be the possible causes if it were to happen? I don't think they have tried to cram more channels per transponder. There have been no significant channel additions for a while. I was worried for a while that they might cut corners and get ahead of themselves ahead of the D11 rollout. But as far as I can tell they are taking a responsible approach and waiting until they have more capacity.

That's funny, the one guy besides Vampz that actually posts that he voted the pq got worse, was actually watching E*!

It seemed like it was declining about two months ago, but then it went back to "normal". I have Cox cable for internet and some of their unencrypted QUAM channels pass through the filter on my line. Most of the channels are my local HDs, and let me tell you that the difference between Directv and Cox is astounding! I will never subscribe to Cox for tv. Aside from their anemic HD channel offerings, the quality is HIGHLY compressed and outright unwatchable to me.

That said, I sincerely hope that Directv does not go the way of XM and Sirius in their battle for customers with Dish. For those that don't know, Sirius and XM compressed the hell out of their channels in order add more than they should have. Although their quality is not unlistenable, the added compression has caused that "spark" to be lost from the music.

I have my fingers crossed that D* will not make the same mistake they made with their SD channels. To me, their SD channels are nearly unwatchable unless I use an older low quality tv. No matter how badly I want to see a program, I simply will not watch it if it's not on an HD channel. The program itself doesn't have to be in HD, but it must be on an HD channel.

I don't have this problem with SD channels ....
I would guess that 98 % of my viewing is on an HD channel.
Only thing I can think of that is not that I watch is the Comedy Channel.

Jimbo

Sure looks like you're in the wrong forum, this is DirecTV. Looking at your other posts this is the first D* thead that you've posted in and you make the same comment about PQ in thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...zing-bandwidth-hd-channels-2.html#post1423508 in a E* forum.

If you really did make a mistake can you please PM a mod here and ask them to remove your vote from the poll then. Thanks

haha, whoops, i thought i was in the Dish forum. Im dumb. So i guess DTV is doing ok, lol.

haha, whoops, i thought i was in the Dish forum. Im dumb. So i guess DTV is doing ok, lol.

No problem. This does mean though that there are two votes for declining PQ that shouldn't be there, yours and Goaliebob (who voted the wrong selection by mistake). According to the mods there is a problem with the sites software on the polls and they can't fix the numbers. The poll was also supposed to be a public poll but the software changed it to private, again another bug according to Scott, and no way to change it back.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts