Is Dish expanding into other telecommunications areas

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I've read recently that Dish has dropped the satellite logo so as to be more of a telecom player. I've also read of rumors of buying T-Mobile, which would be good as Dish owns some wireless spectrum and ATT had to fork over spectrum and $3B if the merger didn't go through. I currently have Verizon wireless and would like to ditch them when my 2 yrs are up. I've been a Dish customer since 1998 and found their service to be reliable despite environmental problems and their CSRs are usually competent and always poilte. My questions are these

1 - Do they plan to offer wireless service - buying T-Mobile would be a smart deal

2 - Do they plan to offer VOIP for telephony? (I'm contemplating buying an OOMA)

3 - Is there going to be any leaps in technology regarding Satellite Internet (Sorry Hughes is much too expensive and our Internet
infrastructure suck compared to other "ferrin" countries).

Literally every 6 out of 10 TV commercials in the NYC area are....
a - Verison sucks, Optimum or Time Warner is wonderful
b - TW or Optimum sucks Verizon is better

I really am getting tired of these "triple plays" because when they're over they prices go up so basically one has to flip flop every 1
or 2 years to get ANY savings. And since Verizon has basically indicated they're wired all their interested in wiring and are planning
to spin off landlines and telling customers to buy cable where they don't exist they're just going after the same customers.

I would like Dish to offer wireless, VOIP and Internet (if feasible) at reasonable prices. No singles, doubles, triples or whatever. A lower price and small increments every years to account for inflation (NEAR zero) and also infrastructure upgrades, which is what Dish presently does. I also firmly believe that people are ready and have been waiting FOR YEARS for ala carte services. Computer processing power is such that the billing programs should be able to price ANY ala carte plan. They only thing stopping it are the content owners greed. I think it's idiotic for them to say your can have our channels for x based upon your y number of customers. This would break their deadlock. I also think these pissing matches with over the air networks is ridiculous. The reason why cable TV (CATV) systems were started was that in the "old days" when there was ONLY antennas people used them to watch TV who were far away from metropolitan areas. These networks should kiss the delivery owners asses because they already collect money from the advertisers from whom they already collect ALOT of money from. If we stopped watching via cable or satellite we wouldn't see their stupid commercials. We the public allow the FCC to grant licenses to station owners to deliver a signal over the air and to collect advertising fees with which we must put up with to watch FREE TV. While I'm on the subject the whole idea of cable was to watch TV without commercial interruption (like HBO, etc). Commercials are as bad if not worse so why do we pay Dish to pay these clowns a per user fee to watch which is in most cases tripe. I have to constantly educate people who come to my door asking why I use satellite to watch TV. My answer is my wife and I only watch 10 channels on cable. TLC, Disc, AE, Comedy, SYFY, USA...(can't remember the rest) and they are still cheaper and the receivers are great. The bulk of our TV watching is CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, CW and the other locals in NYC. 95% percent of what I watch is on broadcast TV. That's why I don't want Cable TV. AND I get the picture in full 1080i or 720p from a 69.99 UHF TV antenna day in and day out, 365 days a year.

I know this was kind of long-winded but I need to know some of this stuff so I can plan the next few years of which way I'm going with my future purchases

I hope some DISH trolls are looking at this post. I'd appreciate as much honest and reality based answers to my concerns

You've got about a year to wait, to hear anything like firm (spongy) plans.

I think that the TV Everywhere is at the center of why they are trying to enter or partner with the wireless companies. Dish can come to the table of a wireless company with spectrum that doesn't require any of the spectrum currently used by those wireless companies, so less throttling trying to accommodate phone, text, pictures, phone video and trying to add TV Everywhere to this. It would be totally dedicated to TV Everywhere (the reason they bough Sling in the first place) Dish could almost guarantee a high quality and reliable TV everywhere experience on mobile devices.

Of course, the hardware is necessary as well, hence the Dish Phone: a device that does duty as cell phone, but with phenomenal TV Everywhere service. And if they partner with a wireless company, Dish would bring additional customers to that company. But how this all looks in the end is something else. I don't think Dish necessarily wants to be a wireless company, they have even said they prefer to partner with a wireless company, but they are prepared to become something of a wireless company, as well, because it is clear they think TV Everywhere is the big future and they aren't going to wait and miss the boat. Dish is being typical "don't show your cards" Dish (because their competition is so much larger and with much deeper pockets to move fast to meet Dish head-on) and doesn't mention TV Everywhere all that much because I think that is what all the spectrum is about, but they don't want to lay out the real reason to their competitors. Charlie has just begun to talk somewhat openly about the use for his spectrum, but I think he is still holding his cards close to the vest.

But if none of this works out or if the FCC rules in a way that is not good for Dish to do this, then Dish can sell the spectrum and make some money doing so.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people on this forum think that Charlie is a greedy guy but I really look up to him. I'm I young guy that's taking over my father's business and my dad grew up with Charlie. He started selling dish because he believed in Charlie and I follow suit. I go to these every year and Charlie talks about his plan and every year he comes closer to it. I remember when he talked about tv everywhere years ago nd now everyone knows that is the future.

I firmly believe that Charlie will build the first company that will truly be able to provide every type of wireless entertainment. I respect Charlie a lot.

He is a self made billionaire. That comes to mind every time I read posts here about how he's doing things wrong, or how someone who's never run a business "knows better" than Charlie.

I still have that image of a pickup truck with a BUD in it in my mind. And I'll bet it's in Charlie's mind, too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)