Is Dish going to carry MTV's LOGO channel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's been talked about on here many times. Personally, I don't want it, but I know there are many that are asking for it. My guess is it was too expensive for Charley to pick up based on the limited desire for it.

Correct. Exactly like those, and that is why Charlie held out for better prices on them.

I don't think there is a limited desire for this channel, specially when you are saying this topic has been brought here many times.

When you look at E* subscribers as a whole, the percentage that are asking for this channel is very low. To your point about it being discussed here many times, I think we have discussed EVERY available channel that E* does not carry many times. :)

lakebum431 said:
When you look at E* subscribers as a whole, the percentage that are asking for this channel is very low...

and you are basing this on what? Personal knowledge within Dish or is that just an assumption?
Personally, I really wish they would carry the channel, but my guess is that because it is a Viacom channel, we are going to have to wait until the contract negotiations come back around before we see the channel, but my guess is it will be a part of the Dish lineup at that point.

I'm basing it on society in general. Although many (I hope most) people have no problem with gay lesbian or bisexual people, they are the major minority in today's society. And that is what this channel is centered around. E* subscribers miror the general population (I'm talking in general terms here, lets not turn this into a huge debate about the profile of an E* subscriber), therefore the percentage of E* subscribers that are interested in this channel should be fairly low. I'm not arguing the fact that E* should or should not have this channel, I'm just stating my opinion as to why it is not carried.

Slamminc11 - I agree with you that this channel may be added in the future, but it is going to take a package deal with the other Viacom channels to get it added.

Personally, I have no interest in this channel, but I have no problem with it being added (as long as we as subscribers don't get raked over the coals for it). :)

Well in 6 years of installing for E I have never had a single customer ask me about logo at all and as I had said in a previous thread about this channel I do installations in a city that has a large alternative lifestyle segment. I have also done installations for E in other majour cities including miami and as in other locations the same holds true, no one has ever asked me about logo. I do think its a popular channel but only for its specific niche market wich I would have to imagine is a rather small segment of a minority group in itsself.

As for the other channels that are being questioned as to how much they are indemand well I do have customers that ask for them.

Van said:
Well in 6 years of installing for E I have never had a single customer ask me about logo at all and as I had said in a previous thread about this channel I do installations in a city that has a large alternative lifestyle segment. I have also done installations for E in other majour cities including miami and as in other locations the same holds true, no one has ever asked me about logo. I do think its a popular channel but only for its specific niche market wich I would have to imagine is a rather small segment of a minority group in itsself.

As for the other channels that are being questioned as to how much they are indemand well I do have customers that ask for them.

well, Direct, Comcast, Time Warner, as well as some other smaller cable companies have all added the channel, so as "niche" as it might be in your mind, it seems that there was enough of a demand for it that most every other pay tv company decided to carry it but Dish
And considering there have been multipule treads about this channel here and on other Dish sites, I would say that there is at least some demand for the channel even if the houses you have installed didn't ask about it. Is there as big of a demand as an ESPN, hell no, but for some of us, there is a demand.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is arguing that there is no demand, We are just saying that it is low (especially for the expected cost from Viacom).

Directv has several two-full color page ads in many national gay media publications bragging its national exclusive on LOGO channel (You can get it whenever you live).

It's an obvious attempt to lure DISH subscribers who have no other source getting the channel.

If I'm a DISH stockholder, I'd be mad that we're losing customers to directv because of its refusal to carry LOGO.

Logo

Have no desire fo rthis network!! While I'm far from anti-gay I don't need to see members of the same gender kissing and fondling one another in my living room, nor do my children. Comcast Cable has added the channel (before I switched back to Dish) and I was somewhat uncomfortable with it, granted I could just move on to the next channel but I just dont' see the need.
How about the YES Network instead, yeah right keep dreaming...

Slamminc11 said:
well, Direct, Comcast, Time Warner, as well as some other smaller cable companies have all added the channel, so as "niche" as it might be in your mind, it seems that there was enough of a demand for it that most every other pay tv company decided to carry it but Dish
And considering there have been multipule treads about this channel here and on other Dish sites, I would say that there is at least some demand for the channel even if the houses you have installed didn't ask about it. Is there as big of a demand as an ESPN, hell no, but for some of us, there is a demand.

Ok I can see that this is a sensitive issue for you but its not just something thats " in my mind" when it comes to a niche market. The gay and lesbian segment of society is a minority group and to think that every person in this group would want or not want Logo is foolish to say the least just as it would be to asume that because Im Irish that Im catholic and I believe in leprechauns.

Just because comcast, TW, Adelphia, directv, and a few other cable providers have added this channel does not mean its in high demand either and they may provide it in some area's but not in others as comcast is known for doing with more mainstream channels such as comedy central for instance.

Personaly I dont want it on dish because I dont want to have to pay anymore for programming just to add a channel that I wont watch, I am so looking forward to the day when alacarte comes to reality but until then I dont want this channel added because I dont want to see my bill go up.

Van said:
...Personaly I dont want it on dish because I dont want to have to pay anymore for programming just to add a channel that I wont watch, I am so looking forward to the day when alacarte comes to reality but until then I dont want this channel added because I dont want to see my bill go up.

This could be said about every channel that is carried on any of the satellite or cable systems. There are a lot of channels that I "get" to paid for that I never will, do, or ever plan on watching and am paying for them. I at least realize that there are people that do watch those channels and have to resign to the fact that I will have to pay for some channels that I deem offensive to my beliefs, some that I think are a waste of bandwidth, some that I couldn't care less about, but in order to watch the channels I want, I put up with the others on there. Per example, I don't think Dish should ever cave into the Yankees and carry YES, but I guess that if they were to bring YES in, eventhough I wouldn't watch it nor be glad that I would have to help pay for it, there is a segment of the population that would like to have it and will watch it. It's all part of the give and take.

A nd BTW, never did I say that LOGO was in "high demand". I DID say "at least some demand". In my book, some and high are on rather different levels. If I had thought there were a high demand, then I would have said high demand. Now, I'm not stupid, I realize that there isn't a huge segment of the population clamoring for this channel, but just as there is "some demand" for just about every channel that is broadcasting today, there is "some demand" for this as well. More than some, less than others.

Of all the channels that are on cable and satellite, there are probably only one or two dozen that could be considered "high demand" and even among those channels, the ratings they get each week show only a small percentage of homes watch them. Even for the big three networks, a program that gets seen in just 20% of American homes is considered a smash hit. So, yes, I think the interest in Logo among subsribers as a whole is probably as high or higher than at least half of the other channels Dish carries. I also think it's unwise to underestimate how many potential suscribers may be going with another provider because Dish is one of the few that doesn't offer Logo. The market is mature enough that EVERY potential customer counts. Having said that, I think it's reasonable if Dish wants to push the channel into a higher tier of service, and if Viacom insists on it being in AT60 or on charging an unreasonable fee, then Dish has every right to hold out for a better deal. I also think any subsriber who objects to the channel should be reminded that they can lock it out or buy the Family Package and they won't even know it's there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)