Is Dish HD 1080p?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
So what

Dish is not even really 1080i on a lot of the "HD" channels. They downconvert the horizontal resolution from 1920 to 1440 or some such before they compress it even more.

the horz of 1440 doesn't have anything to do w/ the 1080 vertical. Many many HD cameras use 1440 X 1080 for 1080i. All HDCAM/HDV are 1440 X 1080i.

the horz of 1440 doesn't have anything to do w/ the 1080 vertical. Many many HD cameras use 1440 X 1080 for 1080i. All HDCAM/HDV are 1440 X 1080i.

That is true, but they take a 1920x1080i image and down convert it then compress it. It may have originally be an HD cam that was upconverted or it could have been a film transfer at full resolution. The point I was making is that people see 1080i or 1080p and have expectations of the full horizontal resolution being carried too. It is a game Dish can play, yes they say 1080i HD, but it may not be the full resolution that the broadcaster originally used.

Awesome! So by now the lesser $400 set sounds like the prudent choice for us. We're going to wait until this Friday or Saturday to buy it. Meanwhile, any other knowledgeable readers are welcome to step in and voice your opinion on this matter concerning 720p vs. 1080p HD TVs on Dish network HD signals.

Did you even read what I said? Whatever, I was just trying to help. :(

Dish is not even really 1080i on a lot of the "HD" channels. They downconvert the horizontal resolution from 1920 to 1440 or some such before they compress it even more.

It's all HD lite you never get to see the quality of the original. They don't have the bandwidth to do that.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that resolution is the sole determining factor in picture quality. It is an important consideration, but just one factor. Be sure to consider contrast ratio, color accuracy and other factors. I'd take a 720p TV with great contrast ratio and color accuracy any day over a 1080p TV with mediocre contrast and color accuracy. That's one reason why I favor plasma over LCD. Our bedroom TV is an older Insignia 42" plasma that looks great. Only 720p, but pretty good color and contrast for that price range.
were it my money, I'd spend the extra money, not so much for the extra resolution, but for the other factors. I would also seriously consider plasma, too. Finally, skip the extended warranty, but check to see if you have a credit card that extends the warranty, many do.

My 722 is set to 720p. If set to 1080i, there is very visible motion blur. Play with the settings across a bunch of different channels and determine which signal your TV plays best.

Remember, regardless the source your TV will upconvert it to 1080p.

My 722 is set to 720p. If set to 1080i, there is very visible motion blur. Play with the settings across a bunch of different channels and determine which signal your TV plays best.

Remember, regardless the source your TV will upconvert it to 1080p.

That would be due to the internal scaler system in your TV. It doesn't like the i evidentially. Must be some kind of conflict tween the two.

I sit about 6 feet from a 46 inch television and comparing dish and mediacom, mediacom's HD looks almost univerally better, less compression artifacts, crisper picture. Not sure how both would compare to directv. Dish still looks quite good, mediacom just looks better.. but mediacom's program guide sucks and channel selection is small. Still, I cut my bill in half so it was worth it. Plus animal planet is in their basic package, a big win indeed.

It depends on the cable company, but some do not compress the HD at all, they pass it through at full bandwidth. Other compress like Dish/DIRECTV. Essentially cable can fit 2 full 19.2 mbit/sec HD streams in one analog channel's bandwidth. Some have the space to do 2, others try to squeeze in 3 or even 4.

Never known of one

It depends on the cable company, but some do not compress the HD at all, they pass it through at full bandwidth. Other compress like Dish/DIRECTV. Essentially cable can fit 2 full 19.2 mbit/sec HD streams in one analog channel's bandwidth. Some have the space to do 2, others try to squeeze in 3 or even 4.

It's rare that any do not compress. Where have you seen any that don't. If they don't compress then they have very few channels.