Is Dish HDTV Monitor worthy of purchase

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ben

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have been lurking for a couple of months learning what I can about Dish. Currently with Directv and C-Band.

I have found only sparse information about the HDTV monitors that Dish will be selling and I am wondering if it would be a wise purchase or not. Can anyone give me any info on these two products?

All i know is that it's a 40" RPTV (per the ad in this month's Home Theater Mag). I think you can do better buying a rptv that suits your specific needs and can probalby get a better deal than the $1,499 all in one solution from E*

Both are RCA's and can be trouble. Our local tv dealer went to RCA for his main line because there is a lot of $ in warrenty work.

If you're looking into buying a RPTV, I would suggest you go with Sony Grand Wega series or a DLP. Of course, there is bulb cost after 6K~8K hours, but its worth it. The picture is damn bright, Plasma doesn't come near them. One other advantage of DLP is no screen burn in, so you won't need to strech your 4:3 program on the DLP. Grand Wega still has the burn in problem.

I just bought the recent Sony 50" Grand Wega LCDRP TV KF-50WE610.
I do not own Sony stock, but I must say that the quality is is amazing.
I am told there is no screen burn on that model but I am not a TV pro.
By the way, I bought the TV through CDW which is more dedicated to IT stuff, if you have a business account or know somebody with one, you might be able to get a good deal.

ThierryFL thats LCD, LCD screens don't have burn in issues either, its the CRT screens and there are Grand Wegas with CRT screens. I forgot to mention that.

Good to know. I am very happy to read a confirmation because I was cautious with the kids.

After some search, I found out that expected lifetime of the lamp found in your TV is only 2K hours :(

Its XL-2100U

http://www.globalmediapro.com/av/m/2003/11/06/Sony_Spare_parts-228077.html

Now you better have your kids ration their TV viewing.

You would have to get an aweful good deal on an RCA seeing its reliabilty issues to make up for or more than make up for a repair bill. I was going to mention GE as well but have not heard anything about them making the HD or bigscreen televisions. I believe GE and RCA are the same company - Thompson Electronics. I currently have a GE television that I have had for about three or so years and have had no problems with it YET, I guess I got lucky knowing that every GE or RCA is not going to go bad. It looks identical to the RCA tv I had that went haywire on me. GE actually has a worse reliability rating than what RCA does according to Consumer Reports.

I would HIGHLY recommend people steer clear of RCA HDTV's! And all those who are saying get a DLP etc... let be real! Those HDTV's are FAR more expensive then a $999 HDTV! Hardly a fair comparison.

I will say that you can find some very good deals on HDTV's like a Toshiba 53" HDTV at Sams' club for only $1100+. The extra $100+ gives you MUCH better build quality not to mention a nice size increase (for those who can handle the size). Just buy the Dish receiver and dishes and buy your HDTV's elsewhere.

RogerDodger said:
After some search, I found out that expected lifetime of the lamp found in your TV is only 2K hours :

Now you better have your kids ration their TV viewing.

Thank you for the advice.

One of my best TV's ever is a RCA and I'm still using it. It was rated by Consumer Reports as the best or top rated TV during that year. I'll take this RCA over anything else in that time period.

Toshiba is what I go with now. Piss on Sony and their overpriced stuff.

Great reads. I really appreciate all of the imput. FSLove I will take your advise and get the dish items and buy the HDTV elsewhere. As some of you are doing we are moving into a new house and I will make be getting the equipment then. Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Roger said:
One of my best TV's ever is a RCA and I'm still using it. It was rated by Consumer Reports as the best or top rated TV during that year. I'll take this RCA over anything else in that time period.

Toshiba is what I go with now. Piss on Sony and their overpriced stuff.
When it comes to electronics Consumer Reports is a horribly flawed testing organization. I lost respect for that publication years ago!

Also remember that RCA has been doing HDTV's for a relatively short amount of time compared to SDTV's which they have done for decades! At this point in time for HDTV's those who are selling the ultra cheap ones are sacrificing A LOT to attain their price points as opposed to SDTV's of which all parts are ultra cheap so you can make a decent performing SDTV for a pretty cheap price. And even then RCA is consistantly at or near the bottom for worst quality control every year!

fslove, I simply suggested that if somebody is in the look for purchasing a RPTV that they look into Grand Wega or DLP screen. Of course there is no comparison as they are quite expensive, but I was suggesting what was worth it and built of quality. No need to hammer down a mere suggestion. I believe if one wants to invest in a big tv, they better have something thats really worth it, whats the point of spending $1,200 and then not like the PQ later.

Have a good night.

But you can get an HDTV with a high quality picture for $1200 (or slightly higher more likely). It does not need to be Grand Wega or DLP to obtain that high quality picture.

marko said:
But you can get an HDTV with a high quality picture for $1200 (or slightly higher more likely). It does not need to be Grand Wega or DLP to obtain that high quality picture.

No matter what you purchase, GO SEE IT FIRST. The trick is finding a Home Theater\Big Screen store that is NOT a big chain. These smaller places will hopefully have the display units setup correctly to compare. The big chains usually do not, & they have those damn bright unnatural lights that make it difficult to really see the screen at its best.

the other trick is finding a place that has actually HD, DVD, & SD content to compare how each unit handles the different inputs. I also recommend playing with the aspect rartio settings to see how each handles SD & letterbox stretching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts