Is dish moving away from Dual tuner receivers?

Van,

You would never make a post like the above. A respectful response if fine.

I know it would not work in every house, just like the dual tuners when they first came out with no DPP's. It's just something I think would be cool if it was developed.

Last edited:
Dave nye said:
Alright both brdisnet (learn to read and spell my freaking name right DH) & The DishnetworkInstaller can kiss my.........

You both must think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well give it to me bad boys. SBCA certified, Directway Comercial certified, Wildblue certified, and CEDIA certification. I have been installing electronics in houses since 1988.

Now if you both read my freaking post you would see that this was just an idea of something I think can be devolped. I realize that attics and crawl spaces are not the greatest place in the world for electronics, but where there is a will there is a way.

Next time why don't you both read the post before you run off at your mouth!!!!!

I'm sorry for the rest that have to read this. I don't take to being attacked to well.
I was never my intent to slam you, it was my intent to slam him for attacking you. I didn't see your mention of an attic first time around. But even then your talking hypothetical of a 4 tuner receiver, not the current crop of receivers. Sorry if looked like I was coming down on you. Was not my intent at all.

In the advent such a receiver was developed I would think they would have to consider attics as a possible installation location due to the way houses are currently built. So they would have to design it to stand being in an attic.

Last edited:
Even with the advent of smart homes builders still arent wiring up homes where there is no cable service to be more compatible with satellite television. Builders also are still doing the el cheapo cable runs of one to the living room and one to the master bedroom wich in many cases still leaves 2 - 3 other bedrooms, a dining room, kitchen, office, and family room / den, basement, garage, master bath, and laundry room. In the last year Ive had a dozen or so customers request tv hook ups in the last three locations and one while I was in Miami that wanted it in the pool house as well.

Many homes along coast lines and in area's where the water table is just below the surface will be a problem to install such a receiver, these homes tend to be on slabs and occasionaly on stilts. Many homes I went to in south florida had attics only a stunted 5 yr old could fit in, I still havent figured out how cable was put into them after the homes were built and run up walls and into the attics. Even with the roofs in south florida generaly being stone or pottery the attic temps got well into the mid to upper 100's and shingled roofs I wouldnt want to guess at those attics.

Watch the way wireless networking develops. I think the day is not too far away where a central receiver will be talking with satellite (no pun intended) set top boxes without the use of any wires. If they can do it with remotes, why not the signal itself? It's just a bandwidth issue.

Why not send the signal through the power lines? Don't limit yourself to where the wires need to run. We got rid of phone wires (cordless phones) and network cables (802.11). What's next?

I think that netgear is headed in the direction for home multi device networking, I picked up the Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router PN# WP824 lastnight and with all the testing Ive done so far I think it could be used to link wireless A/V modules together. Check it out at theyr website and you will see what I mean.

I think the biggest problem will be with HD, everyone is buying HD TV’s (I have 3) and there’s no way I would buy or accept on trade a receiver that couldn't output a HD signal to all 4 TV’s. I've never seen a 100'-150’ DVI, HDMI or composite cable. (If they exist they’re proab. super expensive) I think wireless equipment able to broadcast an HD signal would cost more than the receivers. But I could be wrong. I just know that from an end user point of view If I'm paying for HD, and I only have a single 4 tuner HD receiver it better be able to output in HD to 4 separate HD TV’s without costing me a fortune in other parts/equipment, or I don't want it.

Actually I've been checking things out.

A Media Center PC, few tuner cards, wireless router and some MediaMVP's would allow remote location of several boxes as well as stream MP3's, recorded videos and such to any TV on the network.

I'm actually considering this for the kids TV so I can control a little better what they're watching.

This PVR forum offers quite a bit of knowledge about the grabbing video/audio of a sat box and playing it back on the TV. Wouldn't take much to do a whole house wireless. Picture Quality is the only issue. Most cards are still MPEG2 unless you want to spend big bucks on a HD capable card.

TheDishNetworkInstaller said:
Actually I've been checking things out.
A Media Center PC, few tuner cards, wireless router and some MediaMVP's would allow remote location of several boxes as well as stream MP3's, recorded videos and such to any TV on the network.
I'm actually considering this for the kids TV so I can control a little better what they're watching.
This PVR forum offers quite a bit of knowledge about the grabbing video/audio of a sat box and playing it back on the TV. Wouldn't take much to do a whole house wireless. Picture Quality is the only issue. Most cards are still MPEG2 unless you want to spend big bucks on a HD capable card.
I think what the guys at Myth TV and Freevo are doing is very cool. I like MythTV better though. What I don't get is why won't Dish Network or DirectTV use this software, they get programmers who would work for them for free and the software works on Linux like their receivers.
I know If I could add features (or fix bugs) in my Dish receivers I would do it for free. They should open their receivers a little, like TIVO does.

The words that every intaller hates to hear: "It's pre-wired". :eek:

That being said, on occasion, it's nice to run into one that's done right.

Shame it's only 1 in 10 at best.

I know exactly what you mean SimpleSimon. You take your chances when using wire like that particularly with a Dish500. When the home owner says that I have to use that wire or dont put it in you have to tell him what his options are and that usually means no dish with switches. They have one put in anyways and thats their risk that they are taking. I have had people that tried to get a signal in and couldn't and I went out and told them it was bad wire and charged them for coming out and for the wire. If one could at least get the wire into a room in the house somewhere then route those wires to be hooked up to the ones going to the rooms then that would be a solution. You would have to use UHF upgrade kits or the dual tuner receivers that have UHF Pro capability and purchase some extra UHF remotes. One could use the same hole that the cable wire is in and pull it out and put a new one in and get two tuners off of that with a splitter if you use a DPP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts