is Dish Network gonna pull the plug on the Sirius-XM music channels.

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
i heard today that beginning February 9, 2010, DirecTV will be dropping the Sirius-XM channels and replacing them with music channels powered by SonicTap. meanwhile, at Dish Network, we still may have our Sirius-XM music channels after that and will become the official Satellite TV provider to have Sirius XM channels.

but the question is, will Dish pull the Sirius-XM music channels too and who will be replacing them when it happens

anyway, i would be surprise to see these channels get pulled next year though a Sirius-XM decision or a typical "Charlie being Charlie" move or both.

so should we with Dish be worry about Sirius-XM channels going goodbye like on DirecTV.

Boy, I hope they don't pull them. I really enjoy the Sirius channels on dish. I think this becomes a really distinct competitive advantage for E* over D* once D* drops them.

why would Dish drop them?

Possibly the same reason that DirecTV is doing it. I believe SXM charges money for sat tv carriage. Plus they may want all of the Direct subscribers to invest in actual sat radios. I mean, in essence SXM is giving their product away free to at least 14 million people.

Last edited:
Possibly the same reason that DirecTV is doing it. I believe SXM charges money for sat tv carriage. Plus they may want all of the Direct subscribers to invest in actual sat radios. I mean, in essence SXM is giving their product away free to at least 14 million people.
You are right on the "money".:up:up

That doesn't make sense. SXM's business model is focused on the commuter as are nearly all of their radios. Sure, you can buy kits and modules that allow you to listen to SXM in a building, but typically you must still have some kind of antenna outside. Having to have a separate radio and antenna would seem to me to be a deal-killer. If, indeed, SXM is trying to extract more sub money from DirecTV or Dish, it would make more sense to simply raise the subscription rates.

Well I think the bottom line is money, if SXM decide to start asking Dish for more $$$, then they too would probably look at dropping SXM (Go ahead SXM and try it with Charlie E.), I think that would be one more nail in the coffin to SXM if Dish were to say adios to SXM.

If satellite tv subscribers get SXM for free on their receiver as part of their TV subscription, then people who like the programming would be more inclined to purchase a SXM radio for their vehicle and sub to SXM.

SXM it's all about subscribers, the more active radios = higher number of subscribers = higher advertising revenue.

That doesn't make sense. SXM's business model is focused on the commuter as are nearly all of their radios. Sure, you can buy kits and modules that allow you to listen to SXM in a building, but typically you must still have some kind of antenna outside. Having to have a separate radio and antenna would seem to me to be a deal-killer. If, indeed, SXM is trying to extract more sub money from DirecTV or Dish, it would make more sense to simply raise the subscription rates.
noope sirius/XM stream on the internet too

With sirius/xm's tenuous finacial position( stock price around 65 cents per share) and the lack of growth in subscriber base, I find it highly unlikely that the sat radio provider would do anything on it's own to alienate potential subscribers .

I thought Liberty is now a major investor in Sirrius/XM, unless John Malone has since dumped is investment. I do understand that Direct TV has been spun from the other media holdings, but Sirrius/XM is still part of the Malone holdings and has an interest in its success. I would think it would make sense for Direc TV to continue the carry Sirrius/XM for its promotional value, but deny Sirrius/XM to Dish Network, when agreement ends, as Dish is a competitor.

Now, the question is, how does Charlie feel about promoting or paying for Sirrius/XM with its connections to John Malone his key satellite competitor and owner of Direc TV?

If D* (part owner) dropped them I think we will be hearing TAPS for sirius/xm next year

I understand your point, but just for accuracy, Direc TV does not own Sirruis/XM, it is owned by Malone's other media holding company. Malone is at the top of both, but being a separate company that does not technically own Sirrius/XM, Direc TV may not want them for its own reasons, but I would think John Malone, sitting at the apex of the corporate pyramid would have Direc TV continue to carry Sirrius/XM. Or maybe even he feels Sirrius/XM may be nearing it run. Good Grief!! Who knows??:)

Wow, I would hate to lose the Sirius channels too. I deactivated the Sirius receiver in my car over a year ago. Streaming on my smartphone through Orb works pretty well though. :)

The only reason I dropped D* and went to Dish was when they started broadcasting live opera from the Metropolitan Opera. I had a Sirius Steletto radio and paid a subscription but dropped it when Sirius got the MET broadcasts. I record entire operas on the DVR and download them to my PocketDish and play them on airplanes. I would hate to see Dish loose Sirius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)