Is Dish Online worth it?

drjohn4

Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Idaho
I am thinking about getting some adapters to connect my 722 to my home network. It is already connected to a phone line. What can you do with the internet connection. Is is worth $20 worth of parts to connect it?

Three pros to putting the DVR online.

1) You can stop paying money for a land line and use a cell phone (if your ISP offers "naked dsl).

2) You can access your DVR through the internet at dish.sling.com and set it to record shows while you're away from home.

3) You can download content through from DISH to the DVR (PPV and free). I hardly ever use this, however.

You might be surprised at what you choose to download. There is a lot of FREE content. I downloaded an HD episode of Man Vs. Food because I don't watch that show, but was interested in that one particular episode available on Dish ONline. Great HD PQ with no or very few commercials.

Sling box. Built in to the ViP922, but you can buy the Sling boxes now and hook them up at the sending and receiving points. Works well, if you've got the internet connection.

DishOnline would be SO MUCH NICER if they organized things by channels.

It is so hard to find things because they have 1000's of choices on one menu and many of them are named the same thing!

Dish needs to take a look at what DirecTV is doing and copy it.

DishOnline would be SO MUCH NICER if they organized things by channels.

It is so hard to find things because they have 1000's of choices on one menu and many of them are named the same thing!

Dish needs to take a look at what DirecTV is doing and copy it.

Ditto. I have gotten to the point where I just don't bother with Dish Online. It's a pain in the a$$ to deal with and is not worth the frustration. They definitely need to copy what DirecTV is doing and add more free movies. Over the past couple of months, I have only been able to find 1 free movie (in HD) and it was an old Clint Eastwood movie from the 60's. Programming your DVR online is about the only nice thing you get out of hooking up to your network. They need to have the Ethernet connection COMPLETELY remove the need of a phone line like DirecTV does. Currently you CANNOT view your statement, pay your bill, or add programming via your Ethernet connection. You still need a phone line for that which I think is sort of ridiculous.

Using dish.sling.com is wonderful. Works great and allows you to set up recordings you might have missed/forgotten about but learn about during the day. Esp. for those of us on the West Coast where many of the channels are on east coast time so if we forgot something, it sometimes gets started before we can get home from work. Also works on an iPhone just fine...