Is Dish still negotiating with OLN?

Chris Walker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
I know everyone is talking about Lifetime now(I couldn't care less), but is Dish still talking with OLN? Scott, have you heard anything recently?

I think the overwhelming consensus was that most people couldn't care less about OLN. I don't watch OLN, but subscribers should be concerned because it shows a pattern of behavior that will most likely continue with other channels.

riffjim4069 said:
I think the overwhelming consensus was that most people couldn't care less about OLN. I don't watch OLN, but subscribers should be concerned because it shows a pattern of behavior that will most likely continue with other channels.

OLN is not a favorite of mine, but I watch an occasional show on OLN. I'd imagine if I was a hockey fan I'd care more, so I am sure there's quite a few upset people about the situation. And you are right, it does show a pattern on E*'s part. I thought after the Viacom mess(which I came VERY close to leaving Dish over), E* learned that pulling channels and angering people is not the best route, but when I saw OLN yanked that theory was blown. I will say if Dish pulls one of my favorite channels, they will be out of my house NO QUESTION.

E* should have resolved this situation before they picked another fight with Lifetime, more people would have been on E*'s side if they did it this way IMO.

Last edited:
I for one miss OLN, all my fishing shows were on it. Also next year they may get an NFL package also Im told. At that point it better be back. BP

OLN is owned by COMCAST!!! It is an entirely different ball of wax!!! My local Time warner cable system still doesnt show hockey on OLN!!

robertjp said:
I for one miss OLN, all my fishing shows were on it. Also next year they may get an NFL package also Im told. At that point it better be back. BP

The NFL contracts have already been signed for the foreseeable future, no NFL for OLN anytime soon.

juan said:
OLN is owned by COMCAST!!! It is an entirely different ball of wax!!! My local Time warner cable system still doesnt show hockey on OLN!!

This is what I don't get, it seems like the majority DON'T CARE that they couldn't get the hockey games on OLN. They wanted it for bull riding, fishing, Survivor, etc. Comcast had no problem providing these programs to E*, so I don't understand why E* wouldn't leave the "blacked out" OLN as is. It's certainly better than removing the channel entirely IMO.

The NFL is shopping around a late season package that would include Thursday & Saturday night telecasts that would start in 2006 and the last I knew, this package hadn't been awarded.

Chris Walker said:
The NFL contracts have already been signed for the foreseeable future, no NFL for OLN anytime soon.

The NFL is shopping around a late season package that would include Thursday & Saturday night telecasts that would start in 2006 that Comcast was going to bid on and the last I knew, this package hadn't been awarded.

Chris Walker said:

garn9173 said:
The NFL is shopping around a late season package that would include Thursday & Saturday night telecasts that would start in 2006 and the last I knew, this package hadn't been awarded.

Ok well I assure you that OLN would be back on Dish in a heartbeat if OLN was to get the NFL. The whole issue is OLN doesn't have anything that desirable to most people which is why Dish has so little concern for the channel, but the NFL would obviously change that.

Chris Walker said:
Ok well I assure you that OLN would be back on Dish in a heartbeat if OLN was to get the NFL. The whole issue is OLN doesn't have anything that desirable to most people which is why Dish has so little concern for the channel, but the NFL would obviously change that.
nope E* still doesnt carry YES (the Yankee channel)

Chris Walker said:
This is what I don't get, it seems like the majority DON'T CARE that they couldn't get the hockey games on OLN. They wanted it for bull riding, fishing, Survivor, etc. Comcast had no problem providing these programs to E*, so I don't understand why E* wouldn't leave the "blacked out" OLN as is. It's certainly better than removing the channel entirely IMO.
While we're not privy to contact details, I believe E* was correct to pull OLN when they substituted NHL programming with something else - Comcast's protest just didn't pass the sniff test. Likewise, I believe E*'s decision to pull Lifetime Network is wrong and just plain stinks to high heaven. Personally, I love hockey but I'm boycotting the NHL this year. Plus, if it's not the Red Wings then I would rather watch college hockey - ESPNU and CSTV do a pretty job with their coverage of college hockey.

juan said:
nope E* still doesnt carry YES (the Yankee channel)

This only affects one market though, OLN carrying the NFL affects the whole country. I have said time and time again, if I lived in NY there is NO WAY I'd be a Dish sub.

riffjim4069 said:
While we're not privy to contact details, I believe E* was correct to pull OLN when they substituted NHL programming with something else - Comcast's protest just didn't pass the sniff test. Likewise, I believe E*'s decision to pull Lifetime Network is wrong and just plain stinks to high heaven. Personally, I love hockey but I'm boycotting the NHL this year. Plus, if it's not the Red Wings then I would rather watch college hockey - ESPNU and CSTV do a pretty job with their coverage of college hockey.

E* was justified in pulling OLN, absolutely. I am just saying that the majority seemed to not care they were having the hockey blacked out and that the channel was fine as is.

Chris Walker said:
This only affects one market though, OLN carrying the NFL affects the whole country. I have said time and time again, if I lived in NY there is NO WAY I'd be a Dish sub.

It affects EVERY market if you subscribe to MLB-EI who pay the same amount for the package not to see games on YES. And with NY being the number 1 market in the US is just plain stupid IMO not to have it. Not to mention the millions of Yankee fans who don't live in NY.

Last edited:
I love Pro Cycling and OLN is the only channel that shows full coverage of the races and Most of the time Live!!! With Dish not carrying OLN is the only thing that is stopping me from going to DISH.. and all the BS that Direct TV is doing with HD programing I am not going there.. I guess I am stuck with TWC laplace LA.. I want my voOm back!!!!!!!!! If Dish will get OLN back I would pay extra for the channel!!

Roger said:
It affects EVERY market if you subscribe to MLB-EI who pay the same amount for the package not to see games on YES. And with NY being the number 1 market in the US is just plain stupid IMO not to have it. Not to mention the millions of Yankee fans who don't live in NY.

You get the opposing team's feed of the Yankees games instead, big deal.

Chris Walker said:
You get the opposing team's feed of the Yankees games instead, big deal.

Talk about being a cheerleader. This is what you must look like:
krystalor.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts