Is Dish supposed to supply the HIC?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jahost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 2, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Is Dish supposed to supply the HIC or do we buy them? I have a 2 hopper system with one hardwired to the network and works OK. The other hopper has a dish WI-FI adapter which won't connect.

Is Dish supposed to supply the HIC or do we buy them? I have a 2 hopper system with one hardwired to the network and works OK. The other hopper has a dish WI-FI adapter which won't connect.
if it's needed during the install to connect the internet, then yes it's supposed to be provided by the tech.

hardwiring to both hoppers is preferred over every other option. The wiring diagrams make it look like only one hopper will need a connection after the integration software.

Some techs are using wifi adapters even when a hic could be used instead. HIC is generally preferred over wifi. WIFI is pretty much the last resort according to Dish training documents (basically when no coax line is available near your router).

When you say "hardwiring to both Hoppers is preferred over ever other option" are you including getting DLNA to work?
I had both of my Hoppers hardwired but had to install a HIC box to get DLNA working.
Once installed, all 6 boxes had internet and DLNA functioned as it should (except for transcoding but that is not a Dish issue).
Should it work if the Hoppers are hardwired or is this another feature that is coming with software upgrades?

When you say "hardwiring to both Hoppers is preferred over ever other option" are you including getting DLNA to work?
I had both of my Hoppers hardwired but had to install a HIC box to get DLNA working.
Once installed, all 6 boxes had internet and DLNA functioned as it should (except for transcoding but that is not a Dish issue).
Should it work if the Hoppers are hardwired or is this another feature that is coming with software upgrades?

DLNA appears to be a very special exception where the HIC is the easy solution since most of us wouldn't be able to hardwire or even provide wifi to all of our Hopper/Joeys..

If I understand correctly..... If you only need DLNA to the TVs at the hopper locations, then just hardwiring those would be fine. Still might be worth getting a HIC with even that type of install as a backup considering all the bugs.

The DLNA thing might be even just a bug or unfinished project from the way it's being described in other topics. Luckily it doesn't affect very many people.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)