Is Dish worth it?

meschkow@cox.net

Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
400.00 upfront for HD DVR (942) and the Voom dish, plus 106.99 a month for the Everthing package plus the Voom 10, and the HD Pack. I can do cable for about 80 a month and a 5 intall. I am getting less HD than Voom either way but it seems a better deal to try cable now.

Please answer!

You pay $250 Non Refundable to dish for a PVR box that will only work six months. IMHO, don't waste your time. I'd hold out. I'll be damned if I jump back to dish for 10 channels. Even though, I love VOOM.

Jeez, how can anyone tell you what it is worth to you?

Don't forget you get back $50 on the 1st bill and if you go through a retailer for a 12-month commitment you'll be saving a big chunk of the subscription cost for the 1st 3 months and $10 a month on the HD Pak for 6 months. Plus you get the $5.99/month DHPP waived.

And who has time to watch everything in the AEP?

Maybe you really don't need "everything" and could economize a bit. Personally, I downgraded to the AT120VP a year ago when I realized I was wasting money on channels I hardly ever watch and premiums I didn't have time for. And SHOWTIME has gotten worse since then.

Finally, do you really need an HD DVR? If you went with an 811 and 522/625 you'd save another $249 upfront.

Yeah, get an 811 and get TV2 of your 625 to the same tv. You want to record and have HD but do you really need to record HD? 811 through your RGB cables and DVR through Coax.

bcshields said:
Yeah, get an 811 and get TV2 of your 625 to the same tv. You want to record and have HD but do you really need to record HD? 811 through your RGB cables and DVR through Coax.
How is the 625 output connected to the 811? Would you not need 2 remotes, one for the HD and one for the PVR. When calling up a recorded program from the 625, how is the 811 used? I cant find actual product manuals for these boxes, otherwise I may be able to figure out more configurations. BTW, I plan on watching voom go dark tonight......

Thanks for the replies, all. I am going with cable, me thinks, until the MPEG4 stuff comes out. Then we'll see, at least with cable, I can leave it anytime.

meschkow@cox.net said:
Thanks for the replies, all. I am going with cable, me thinks, until the MPEG4 stuff comes out. Then we'll see, at least with cable, I can leave it anytime.

that's what i did.

I'm an ex-Voomie who just signed up with E*. Here's the way it shakes out for me:

1) You do need two dishes for HD with the Voom channels. The first is $49.95 that is rebated/refunded on first bill. The 2nd costs $100 for the equipment and the install.

2) I just went with the 811 boxes for now. The first is included. The second is $5 / month.

3) I picked up their 180 channel + Locals + HBO/Cinemax package. It's $36.99 for the first 3 months.

4) I got their HD package free for six months.

5) After six months the charges will be: $79.99 ($69.99 for 180 package, $5 for the 2nd 811 and $5 for the VOOM 10)

6) I passed on upgrading to the 942 @ $250 plus monthly fees for now.

I had expanded my Adelphia package when I heard about the VOOM shutdown but will be downgrading that now. Their HD quality has been very unimpressive so far.. 1080i looks awful.

We'll see how this all sorts out.

diver90 said:
4) I got their HD package free for six months.

5) After six months the charges will be: $79.99 ($69.99 for 180 package, $5 for the 2nd 811 and $5 for the VOOM 10)

What about the HD pack for $10/mo? Is that in your $79.99 number or is it actually $89.99 including HDnet, and HDNet movies?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)