Is Dish zooming HD channels now?

crash331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Strangest thing, I started noticing I can't see the entire station identification watermark on HD channels now. Noticed it on Discovery and Food network.

On Discovery, while watching Mythbusters, I can see "NEW EPISO", while if I turn one channel down to SD Discovery, I see the full "NEW EPISODE" with a little more picture to the right of the E.

My TV is set to 16:9 and the receiver is set to 1080i 16:9.

I can change the TV to "Just Scan" mode and it shows a little more picture, but it still only says "NEW EPISOD".

Bottom left button says 'Format'.

You will toggle through five sizes. Stretch / Partial Zoom / Zoom / Gray Bar / Normal.

Set your's to 'Normal'.

PS... Get your Panasonic OFF the 'Just Scan' aspect ratio and go back to whatever one is 16:9 (I forgot what they call it...probably 'Full')

Strangest thing, I started noticing I can't see the entire station identification watermark on HD channels now. Noticed it on Discovery and Food network.

On Discovery, while watching Mythbusters, I can see "NEW EPISO", while if I turn one channel down to SD Discovery, I see the full "NEW EPISODE" with a little more picture to the right of the E.

My TV is set to 16:9 and the receiver is set to 1080i 16:9.

I can change the TV to "Just Scan" mode and it shows a little more picture, but it still only says "NEW EPISOD".

I think E* just passes video along. If there is zooming, it is likely coming from Discovery's upconverting.

I think E* just passes video along. If there is zooming, it is likely coming from Discovery's upconverting.
E* has five built-in aspect ratios that work regardless of the TV setting. (This was important early on when many TVs would 'Lock' onto a non 480 scan rate and plasma sets could get burn in since there was no way the TV would display without Letter/Window boxing)

You cycle through the various Dish aspect ratios using the button called 'Format'.

I have found that my 222 will sometimes show "normal" when in fact it is in zoom mode, mostly when I swap PIP. I have to cycle through the aspect modes, and then all is right. So, try cycling through the formats using your remote, and see if it changes back to the correct aspect.

Thanks guys.

I was hoping that was it, but wasn't aware of the format button. Tried to fix it in the menus, but only saw an option for 16:9 which is what it was set to.

I will try the format button next!

I have found that my 222 will sometimes show "normal" when in fact it is in zoom mode, mostly when I swap PIP. I have to cycle through the aspect modes, and then all is right. So, try cycling through the formats using your remote, and see if it changes back to the correct aspect.
One feature of the Dish ViP HD receivers that set it head and shoulders above all other set top boxes (that I have seen) is its ability to remember the preferred aspect ratio setting of HD versus SD viewing.

If you go to, say AMC (which has no HD version available) and set your format as 'Stretch' then every SD channel you visit will be in the 'Stretch' mode, however, if you go to an HD channel and select 'Normal' it will remember that as well so that when you select an HD channel, it will return to the proper 'Normal' aspect.

Again, this was more important when you mostly had plasma TVs and only a few HD channels, but a great feature nonetheless.

E* has five built-in aspect ratios that work regardless of the TV setting. (This was important early on when many TVs would 'Lock' onto a non 480 scan rate and plasma sets could get burn in since there was no way the TV would display without Letter/Window boxing)

You cycle through the various Dish aspect ratios using the button called 'Format'.

That's a user initiated action via their own receiver and not E*'s messing with the original source video. I don't think E* messes with the source video as they grab it and beam it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)