Is DishAnywhere really as bad as I read?

This is no doubt why my Slng Adapter became useless. :( Probably somebody cracked the encryption and started recording Sling streams.

And it only sent encoded streams using Flash which is not supported by devices / browsers anymore.

On the Hoppers the encoding technology was upgradable while the encoding on the Sling Adapters was built into the chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you should go back to Spectrum then. Truth is, if you're staying with Dish and you want to record, you're going to eventually end up with a Hopper. The Hopper is the focal point, not the online streaming app. The App is the accessory, so no, you're not paying extra to have the app.

Thank you for the helpful reply. Please reread my post and you will see that extra cost is to fully utilize the app. My Dish service was installed with a Hopper with DVR service. After we had Dish installed, we found that we could not watch our normal live content on the Dish Anywhere app. I called support and was told I would have to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling that would cost me $50 up front plus an additional $5 a month. I asked to talk with a supervisor to confirm that it was going to cost me the extra money in order to watch my live channel lineup content. I guess I should have read the app advertising closer.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I don't know that it matters for this discussion, but note that the single stream limitation is at the Hopper end. One of the advantages of having multiple Hoppers...

I don't either. But I wonder if the H3 hardware would support more than one stream? It sure would be nice to have more than one stream available when I'm away from home. Dish probably doesn't want to cannibalize their Joey fee stream by doing that. :(

I don't either. But I wonder if the H3 hardware would support more than one stream? It sure would be nice to have more than one stream available when I'm away from home. Dish probably doesn't want to cannibalize their Joey fee stream by doing that. :(
I don't know if the limitation is a hardware or software issue. If it's software, then there's hope they'll eventually allow more than one stream at some point. Hardware would likely mean a new receiver model. I agree they probably don't want to disrupt the Joey fee income, but competitive issues may force the matter.

My issue is the single stream limitation. I would "like" to use the DA app to do away with two wireless joeys, but not possible.
Another side of that coin. If you had multiple stream capabilities you could simply add simply add as many Fire Sticks to as many houses around the country as you had streams. Say you had 5 streams. One bill, six parties with that same service. We just happen to have 6 houses in my immediate neighborhood that have DISH service. I could set up those other 5 houses with service and charge them 20% of what they would pay for individual service and get my service for free. See where I am going here?

I was using the dish anywhere app on my I pad yesterday morning and I hit the pause button and then came back to watch it and the next thing I know the Hopper3 is rebooting. Happened twice that morning while I was getting ready for work. I miss the old app ,it worked as well as the receiver remote control did on the Hopper. Now it is full of bugs and hard to use.

• Sad
Worked wonderfully at work for me today. Better than the old app, even. Faster.

I tried it this morning in Nags Head, NC, and it worked here too. It took awhile to start up while "connecting to your receiver", but thereafter it seemed OK. I did not attempt any trick play.

Does it take some time after initial install & setup for DA to work (install finished 4 hours ago or so)? My iPad is only letting me watch streaming channels: DVR’d programs constantly say “unable to connect”, even when on the same network.; FireTV Stick tries to watch a live channel from the guide but brings up an orbital test channel. Is patience the key at first?? Or is there something with my setup? Hopper and both Joeys are working beautifully. OnDemand downloaded at 70+mbps. So...

Does it take some time after initial install & setup for DA to work (install finished 4 hours ago or so)? My iPad is only letting me watch streaming channels: DVR’d programs constantly say “unable to connect”, even when on the same network.; FireTV Stick tries to watch a live channel from the guide but brings up an orbital test channel. Is patience the key at first?? Or is there something with my setup? Hopper and both Joeys are working beautifully. OnDemand downloaded at 70+mbps. So...

Ok, so my FireTV Stick now works fine, but my iPad, iPhone and laptop are only letting me see streaming channels in the guide and won’t let me stream DVR’d programs (“unable to find receiver”), even on the local network (same network as the FireTV stick). It lets me reboot the Hopper remotely, so it CAN find the receiver for that...but not for the guide or streaming anything.

I use the app on various Android tablets and phones. My primary tablet died yesterday so I switched to a backup unit that hadn't been used for a while. Overnight it downloaded the new verison. I had blocked the automatic download on other units because it was so bad.

Well, I decided to try it again since there's been a few updates.

It Sucks! I started watching a program I recorded last night. My recordings start early. So I used the (well hidden as compared to previous versions) "skip forward 30 seconds". It took 45 freakin' seconds to skip 30 seconds of material!!!

Off it goes and I'll sideload 6.6.12.

WHen will dish withdraw this? It's horrible!

I was using the dish anywhere app on my I pad yesterday morning and I hit the pause button and then came back to watch it and the next thing I know the Hopper3 is rebooting. Happened twice that morning while I was getting ready for work. I miss the old app ,it worked as well as the receiver remote control did on the Hopper. Now it is full of bugs and hard to use.
Yes, I've had this happen. Back when the Dish hosted forum was still live I reported a repeatable sequence to make the hopper reboot. It started with pressing pause right after a program starts playing (with Dish Anywhere) but before it gets more than a few seconds. Then instead of pressing "unpause" (either pause again or play) I accidentally pressed the "skip forwared 30 seconds" button. Press play again and the system froze and the hopper rebooted.

Note that the Hopper/remote viewer Dish Anywhere is an integrated version of the Sling system. I think it is a very old version that has not been updated to the latest Sling capabilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)