Is DishHD necessary to get local HD channels that I already get with antenna?

spain29

Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
I just got an HDTV-integrated TV, and am now considering getting the Dish Network. I have a regular antenna hooked right now, and it works fine. I even get some local channels in HDTV, and they look great. If I get regular Dish Network (without DishHD), will I still be able to get my local channels in HDTV like I am now, or will it make it worse by making all of my channels analog? If it's the second one, can I use my antenna for local channels and then my dish for the other channels? I don't care whether I get the non-local channels in HD. Thank you so much.

If you are only concerned with getting local channels in HD, then leave your antenna installed and get Dish Network for all the other channels.

Some of the older receivers such as the 811 or the 6000 allow you install your external OTA antenna and they will map down (and be integrated) to the correct channel on the dish remote without having to do any extra button switching like going to video or source. This is neat. You also get the guides if the broadcasting stations send them. Also, these older units "upconvert" the standard definition signals to 720p or 1080i so they look much better (not HD quality...but much better) if you connect the video outputs to the HD inputs of your new TV

The newer receivers do similar tricks, but you have to pay for that service, either by subscribing to a HD package or paying an enabling fee.

You can obviously use your new HD TV as suggested and they cannot take that away from you...but you do have to mess with multi remotes (or programable remotes) to switch your TV from antenna to the input that you use for satellite.

How about if I want to switch to all HD in the future?

Thanks for the replies. It definitely cleared things up.

If I get the 811 (aka, Dish 381), will I have to pay Dish Network for another dish if I decide to get HDTV on both local and non-local channels in the future? If so, is it safer to get a dish that does both?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts