Is Dishnetwork in last now?

Yup, Dish doesn't care about upgrades right now because they are changing around the business, being bought out, etc. Who the heck knows, but don't expect anything new.

They also don't have a lot of room since they need whatever they have until they launch their new sats. Unfortunately the deals to launch sats are set up in advance, and even they weren't, several of the launch companies have had failures this year and caused delays.

I wouldn't say they're last though. Cable is still behind both services pretty hard. Once locals hit this region at the end of last year, people flocked to Dish. As it sits, DirecTV still doesn't have locals here at all.

Cable can keep waving their high prices and 'On Demand'. Meanwhile I still have more HD channels than they do and will have even more once the new sats go up.

They also don't have a lot of room since they need whatever they have until they launch their new sats. .

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I remember reading some posts from the experts on this board that there is still room on the sats for about 10 more HD channels. Also, it seems like dish is doing a lot of consolidation making room for something. I would suspect they are holding their cards real close to their chest.

If you go and throw 10 channels up now before you launch new sats, you have no room to move unless you take away channels.

I'm sure they have some room, and will later have better encoders, etc. However, if they add every channel people ask for on these forums, they wouldn't anymore. At least this way they can weigh it out some.

Last..No cable still is bringing up the rear with Fiso right above them. Dish to me is only behind D* but still far ahead of cable and fiber

Second place for HD as opposed to last, but first in DVR quality and usability. I suspect they will be tied in a year if the new sats go up. I have family with Direct and I'll stick with Dish.

Yeah well to early to say what will happen so lets all wait until we hear something from the horses mouth.

They also don't have a lot of room since they need whatever they have until they launch their new sats.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I remember reading some posts from the experts on this board that there is still room on the sats for about 10 more HD channels. Also, it seems like dish is doing a lot of consolidation making room for something. I would suspect they are holding their cards real close to their chest.

I agree with you. Dish has always held their plans so close that the whining on these sites becomes unbearable sometimes. :D I think they will make what moves they can in the near future to at least keep the DirecTV boat in sight and keep from drowning in churn. After that they had better get some satellites flying soon!

If you go and throw 10 channels up now before you launch new sats, you have no room to move unless you take away channels.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement. I could be wrong but I seem to remember folks on this forum talking about consolidating and making better use of what they have at the moment. I never remember dropping channels being an option that Dish was looking at.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement. I could be wrong but I seem to remember folks on this forum talking about consolidating and making better use of what they have at the moment. I never remember dropping channels being an option that Dish was looking at.

As far as I know that was done using better encoders. They also could move any leftover HD over to MPEG4 (which I don't think they've done yet).

But - If they add 10 HD channels today.. Then what happens if 10 more (that people want more) come out tomorrow? No matter what they do, I do not believe they have enough bandwidth to just add the channels that D* has added without degrading existing offerings, especially since they'd have to add them to both 129 and 61.5, or find somewhere in 110/119 to put them.

Any moves they've made so far seem to suggest that they seriously weigh this out. I don't think the TBS-HD feed, for instance, cost them extra. However, they had to see how many people would gripe about not being able to see the playoffs.

I do believe that it will get better. However, it isn't E* holding up the launches. I'm sure if they could swing it, they'd throw their sats up there tomorrow.

As far as I know that was done using better encoders. They also could move any leftover HD over to MPEG4 (which I don't think they've done yet).

But - If they add 10 HD channels today.. Then what happens if 10 more (that people want more) come out tomorrow? No matter what they do, I do not believe they have enough bandwidth to just add the channels that D* has added without degrading existing offerings, especially since they'd have to add them to both 129 and 61.5, or find somewhere in 110/119 to put them.

Any moves they've made so far seem to suggest that they seriously weigh this out. I don't think the TBS-HD feed, for instance, cost them extra. However, they had to see how many people would gripe about not being able to see the playoffs.

I do believe that it will get better. However, it isn't E* holding up the launches. I'm sure if they could swing it, they'd throw their sats up there tomorrow.

I think the consolidation moves and the encoder upgrades are ongoing. I do agree with you that if Charlie could carry those satellites into orbit himself, they would be there by now. I, like many others, believe Dish Network is still the way to go. I'll hang in there for a while yet.

Dish has always held their plans so close that the whining on these sites becomes unbearable sometimes.

It wasn't always that way. Charlie used to tell about future plans on his chat but I think the whole SuperDish mess changed that.

It wasn't always that way. Charlie used to tell about future plans on his chat but I think the whole SuperDish mess changed that.

I'm sorry. I guess that predates my history with Dish or I'm just so damn old I forgot it.:D Have the time to expand a little bit?

I'm sorry. I guess that predates my history with Dish or I'm just so damn old I forgot it.:D Have the time to expand a little bit?

Charlie announced SuperDish, two new FSS/DBS dishes that would use 121 and 105 (if I remember those slots correctly), one would have all the international channels and the other would have all the HD channels, no more need for 61.5 and 148 for HD. A few months later they found out that the satellite they were going to use for HD didn't provide a good enough signal for CONUS coverage and the plan then changed that HD would be on 110/119, no HD SuperDish.

Charlie announced SuperDish, two new FSS/DBS dishes that would use 121 and 105 (if I remember those slots correctly), one would have all the international channels and the other would have all the HD channels, no more need for 61.5 and 148 for HD. A few months later they found out that the satellite they were going to use for HD didn't provide a good enough signal for CONUS coverage and the plan then changed that HD would be on 110/119, no HD SuperDish.

Aah, the veil lifts; I remember now. Thanks.

I agree with the earlier respondent who said E* was 2nd, not last. They are ahead of all of the cable providers, plus FIOS and U-Verse on HD channels.

With D* having more in-orbit available bandwidth, and with them being in line to have the next HD satellite launched, D*'s advantage could become quite substantial before E* is ready to strike back in the 2nd half of 2008.

I would say overall, DISH is still first in my book. Having seen what I am "missing" on my neighbor's DirecTV HR20, I find the overall DISH experience to still be superior.

Will I miss BSG:Razor in HD? Yes.

Other than that, I don't think I am missing anything by having DISH instead of DirecTV. Both are certainly far ahead of cable. My one channel request would be /SPEED/ when it comes out in HD.

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts